1916 overland

I have a 1916 overland that has not been driven for a few years. I am unsure about what to use as fuel - should I use unleaded with lead additives? Will fuel containing ethenol harm th engine? I am also unsure about what type of oil to use when doing an oil change. confused.gif" border="0

Scotty,<P>First, if there is any fuel in the car, get rid of it. Then before starting, go through all the normal procedures for servicing a car that has been sitting for years.<P>Fuel: Unleaded is fine. Don't waste your money on lead additives. Your engine was built in 1916 and Charles Ketttering did not develop tetraethyl lead until 1924 and it didn't come into general use for a few more years. SO --- how could an engine need something that did not exist until 8 years after said engine was built. I received this logical opinion from several automotive engineers back in 1984 when lead was being phased out and I was AACA Technical VP. <P>Ethanol: Avoid it! If your carb has a cork float it has been coated with shellac to make it gasoline resistant. Were it to become saturated, it would NOT float. Alcohol dissolves shellac. Hence problems within the carb. If your gas tank was coated with a sealer years ago before the advent of alcohol resistant sealers, the alcohol in the gas WILL dissolve the sealer. You cannot imagine the mess you will then have. Been there, had that happen.<BR>Avoid ethanol like the plague.<P>Oil: I will leave that to someone more qualified on the subject than I am.<P>hvs

Scotty,<P>As for the oil in your Overland, I would suggest using only a straight 30W non-detergent motor oil.<P>Not knowing the motor's history and if you are not planning on doing a bottom end inspection at this time, I would also recommend doing this. Drain your motor oil as it is, cold. Strain it though a cheese cloth or paint strainer to see what you're picking up in there and then fill it with the fresh oil. With cases like yours in having been sitting a while, I would run the engine up to normal operating temperture and drain it a second time while the engine is still hot, again straining the oil for inspection. If all is well, re-fill again with fresh oil. This is just a little pre-caution measure I like to do.<P>Again, I recommend using only a 30W non-detergent.<P>Good luck with your car.<BR>Rick