Found a CD Player while out junkin'

Guest smith356

Guest smith356

Was at a St. Louis pull-a-part Sat. and found a 90 Riv that was pretty trashed, missing the radio, but the CD player was still in it. Took the wood grain console and CD housing, but it was missing the dash cover. What a job it was getting the wiring harness out of there ! Makes me cringe on what's in store for me installing it in my car. I just hope I got all the harness that's needed. It was one harness. The radio wires were all cut. I also took a self-dimming rear view mirror, that I won't use, so if anyone's interested, let me know. If you have any stories to share on installing the CD player, I'd love to hear those, too................... BTW, if anyone is interested in trading a black CD housing for a wooden one, let me know.

It is a pretty big job wiring in a CD player in a Reatta that did not originally have one but if you have a shop manual you can figure it out.

My estimation is you have about a 95% chance the CD player is no good.. I too have bought many of them from Rivieras and big Oldsmobiles and I have on my shelf about 25 non working ones. Before you go to the trouble of wiring it in, check it somehow to make sure it plays.

Guest smith356

I'm sure you're right on the money, Jim. I have another one that I bought about a year ago and I don't know if it works either. I'm hoping I can pull the radio out and try hooking the harness up to check the player before I do anything else. Have you been able to do that ? Thanks, Jim

I made up a harness a while back so I could test radios and CD players on my bench. I also have tested them in cars that had factory players. A couple of things I noticed in testing them is the player has to be laying flat or almost flat. Even a slight angle and the CD might not play. Another thing and it even says this in the shop manual is if the CD goes in and after some seconds go by it ejects the CD and says "error" you might want to warm up the CD and try again.