What is the most desirable PostWar Studebaker?

Guest BJM

I just finished reading a good Collectible Automobile article on the 55 President Speedster and recently read the Hemmings Classic car magazine featuring all Studebakers including Golden Hawks.

What is the most desirable post war Studebaker, and why? Obviously, the Avanti comes to mind, but that's like picking a Corvette in a Chevy discussion. But, I like the looks of the 55 Speedster and the 56 Golden Hawk, but also understand the 57 Golden Hawk was a more balanced car. And I have seen a few cool 60's GT Hawks with four speeds. But maybe the most desirable post war Studebaker is not a Loewy coupe at all.

Guest imported_GeorgeCagle

My vote would be for the '50 and '51 Champions and Commanders. At a Studebaker show you will see a majority of Avantis, Hawks, and Larks. At a street-rod show about the only post-war Studebaker you will ever see will be a hot-rodded bullet-nose. This will be the only post-war Stude that most people ever see and if you mention Studebaker to them, this is what they will think about.

• 1 month later...
Guest 40-41 connies

I agree with the 1950 Stude. In 1950, I was driving by a Studebaker dealership in Dallas and saw the new 1950 Champion bullet nose on display. I was driving a box 1941 Olds and this Studebaker car was out of the future with the fenders and nose to give it the most modern look in America. I traded that day and drove the 50 Champ convertible off the rack. Took it to California, Utah, Pikes Peak, Grand Canyon, New Orleans and other states with out any problems. It was far ahead of the times.

• 2 months later...

Overall, I'd agree that it's probably the 53-54 hardtop for many. But I think they are all desirable for their own qualities. The '47 as a true style setter for all future cars. The '50 for it's unforgettable bullet nose. The later Hawks for their restrained but really classy styling (and great engines). And finally, the Larks as the surely the best early economy cars - far, far ahead of the the dismal big three offerings.

Cork, Mpls, MN

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

A friend of mine is currently restoring a 1956 Golden Hawk. About 45 years ago, it was converted to a 1956 Packard 374 dual quad engine. An Offenhauser adaptor plate to a 1947-48 big Packard box with a Hurst and overdrive was installed then.

Tangarine bottom, white top. Sold new in the Watseka, IL. area at a dealer named Hodak Studebaker, probably a 3 or 4 owner car. Texas barn find car this year with 1970 Texas plates. It will be for sale at some point in the future

Anybody remember it?

Regards, Dave Corbin