Resto Rods

Rolf

I saw a bunch of posts about this subject a short time ago, but I can't find them now, so I will add my 2 cents worth here. My view is that is that it is best to keep our Z's and Connie's as original as possible, but often when the car is too incomplete, damaged, and not worthwhile to restore, I for one have no quarrel with a person modifying them any way they want, I just hate to see a nice straight complete original car used for these projects. My recent experience was that in '02, I got the itch for another '41 club coupe, I love the looks of the darn things, and found a very sad incomplete wrecked one with a lot of rust for a good price, I talked my son in to making a resto-rod out of it for me, and he did a magnificent job of transplanting the running gear from an '82 Continental donor car in to the '41, so it has a 302 SBF, an AOD, the rear end and front end out the '82, complete with power disc brakes, AC, and PS, I will try to attach a picture of it here. When it became clear my driving days were over, I gave the '41 to my son, as he had fallen in love with it and has put 5 years of hard work in to it, and has discovered a lot of interesting bits of knowledge, that through me, we would be glad to share with anyone contemplating such a project, we have many pictures of the work in progress and would be glad to share them, Rolf

post-51946-143137938568_thumb.jpg

Rolf:

I think a lot of us wrestle with original vs modify. Points to several camps in our Continental army. (OK its July 4) Some of us just trailer the car to shows and collect trophies, which is fine for those folks, and I'm happy to look at them. I'm in the other camp, I like to drive mine. However, a restored 46 LC Cab just went for $114,660. in my end of the woods last Weekend, so if mine is not restorable to original, it would loose future value should some of my heirs try to take the car to Pebble Beach. (Won't be me.) So for me, any modification that will add performance, safety, and reliability is fine, long as someone can unbolt it in the future. For example, if someone puts on disk brakes, its fine for a diver car, and a future owner could put the drums back on if they really wanted to. Welding in a Chevrolet frame would compromise the originality and reduce future value. There were less than 500 of my 48 LC Cabriolets made, so its not like a fiberglass Ford you can assemble from scratch.

I've even thought of replacing the lower grill with a 54 Corvette unit. Would save a protect my genuine original from careless parking lot drivers. Lots of flathead Ford hop up tricks can be applied to V-12 motors as well. Crank triggers, computers, fuel injection, even supercharges are all possible. I haven't done any of this stuff yet, but like to think about it.

Abe

Guest DavidHitchinson

I think it's funny everyone on here hates to see customized Lincolns but everyone on here is very happy that A "customozed" LZ brought in over $400K or the one that went $250k or $150k Lets face it the customs are selling (if done right) for money than stock. People also thought that would raise the value of all LZ's well did it???? And just my opinion for the last several years when I see one for sale they almost always reference the auction cars that sold for STUPID money! Kinda interesting isnt it???

Dave

Yes indeed, this debate has been raging for a long long time, I got my first Z in 1954, and my first Connie in '55, it had a hopped up flathead V-8 in it, and with the low rearend gears, would scoot along very nicely. I joined the LCOC shortly after that, and all they talked about in their mag, Continental Comments, was the importance of jettisoning the poor old V-12, and replacing it with a Cad or Olds V-8, with a hydramatic transmission, and of course open drive. My first Z had a superb 12 in it, and I hopped it up a bit and used to street race it, I loved the smoothness and power of it, and the superb handling of the cars, and braking with the big 12" Bendix brakes, which were the best brakes around back then, so anyway I preferred to run the 12's myself, and most of the OHV guys in those days would sneer at me for having a 12 in my Connie. I was then vindicated later when the pendulum swung back, and the now scarce 12's came back in to favor. I think it is funny about the production numbers of all the L's and Z's and Connies, I believe those miniscule numbers were perpetuated by owners wanting to make their car more valuable by being so rare, look how many are being found currently after 70 years!! And I swear I have seen more cars than those numbers my very own self.

I was not one of those pleased to see the big money customs, probably because I wasn't trying to sell smile.gif. I *am* glad that they now have fiberglass versions -- makes a lot more sense and is certainly more economical.

And just to let you know I'm a reasonable guy, a couple weeks ago I had a guy contact me about the car shown in the pic below. He'd pulled it out of a field. His hobby is vintage racing, and he contacted me to ask what my opinion was regarding what should be done with this car. We had a really good talk and we both agreed the car is probably missing too many parts to take back to original. He'll either streedrod it or deck it out like a vintage racer, which I think would be really something to see. Certainly a better fate than rotting in a field...

post-31207-143137938672_thumb.jpg

I always thought better to hop up an old Ford or GM car, they made thousands....

and are often smaller, lighter machines, more point to racing....why hot rod

a classic lincoln????

Most any numnut with a check book and a torch can stick "better" engine

in a classic, I like to think it takes a little more skill to make the

original design function as new.

I suppose it is philosophical difference of opinion so be it..I often wonder, these

old bodies with "crate motors" 4l60's and ac..are they touring around the country?? no of course not

they sit in the garage waiting for the next auction to each his own....

please all u modifiers, go buy a chevy...

jeff

oHIo