Sign in to follow this  
Ladokap

Front Spindle size???

Hi,

New to the Forum. Question are the front spindles on a 48 Contintental the same size / spec as a early ford Spindle. I have hopes of putting disk brakes on my car and there a a lot of kits for early ford. Before I start measuring I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Ladokap

In 1966, before disc brakes were available for these cars, I used a pair of 1940 Ford front hubs on my 1947 Continental. This enabled me to install wider 1954 Lincoln front brake drums by widening the offset between the backing plate and the outer edge of the brake drum. The car has a 1957 Lincoln 362 V-8 engine and driveline. I also added a Bendix hydro-vac brake booster. I drove the car nearly 100,000 miles with this setup, including a coast-to coast trip from Glendale, California to Bennington, Vermont in 1970 without incident. I still own that car, but it hasn't been driven in the past 10 years. Too many other projects!

Take a look at my Webshots photo album of the 1947 Continental at: http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj

Phil, Thanks for the info.

Just to let you know the plan is to put a Ford 4.6 with a aod in the car. I have always been a street rodder at heart. The car is stock ( few minor changes)and will be at the Midwest Lincoln meet in Itasca this Sept. Then it is going to come apart for the change. Hope to have it back on the road by next summer. Want to keep the stock look, but want the creature comforts like air, power brakes etc.

Thanks again

Lane

Interesting. As it turns out, I 'ruined' my '47 Continental for originality in 1966 and it is now badly in need of some upgrading. I have a couple of choices for donor drivelines. One of the choices is a 1986 Lincoln Continental with a nice strong 302, AOD, etc. I also have a good 351W that might mate to the AOD. The other choice is a 1994 Mark VIII with the aluminum 32-valve DOHC engine and a nice, tight AOD transmission. I too, have always had an interest in street rodding. I wouldn't 'ruin' another original car to build a street rod these days, but this one is already well on its way. I entered it in the LCOC Eastern national meet at Mt. Snow, Vermont in 1970 after driving it from California and got (begrudgingly) the 'longest distance' trophy (which I never received). The car was **NOT** well received by the LCOC purists due to it's modifications but it **DID** drive over 7000 miles without any problems.

Please keep me posted on your progress, with photos if possible. I've seen pictures of cars with 4.6 engines, AOD transmissions, etc and have wondered how much is involved in the conversion.

My wife and I are VERY nervous about driving these cars after totalling our 1997 Town Car a couple of years ago. A lady in a Buick Roadmaster made an illegal left turn in front of us. Both cars were totalled, but nobody was seriously injured, thanks to the seat belts and air bags. I don't think we would have walked away from this type of wreck if we had been driving any early Lincoln.

post-32768-143137938227_thumb.jpg

Several folks make spindles for disk brakes that fit Ford and Lincoln. The best I've found uses a Ford truck disk and the original 5 1/2 bolt circle. However, if you're going to change the rear end as well a smaller bolt circle will work for you.

Suggestion: Hot rod a flathead V-12 and adapt a four - five speed automatic. Would make a much more unique car! If you have to have an OHV, get a BMW, Ferrari, or Mercedes V-12 engine.

Abe

Right. The bolt circle should match - front and back, unless you don't mind carrying 2 spares. Make that three because the metal cover for the Continental spare is sized for a 7:00x16 tire and won't fit over most modern tires making that outside mounted spare tire useless. My '47 Continental uses 1957 Lincoln wheels (15x6 inches) that still have the 5 1/2 inch bolt circle and I've always carried a viable spare tire in the trunk. The same with my '41 Continental. The previous owner installed 15 inch wheels with radial tires, so I carry a compatible spare in that trunk as well. Fortunately, the original 16x5 inch wheels came with the car so I can revert to the original at any time.

Now, as to the hot-rod V-12 with a modern transmission. That was done by Dick Schell in Los Angeles some 40 years ago. Dick was a machinist and he made an adaptor to mount a (fluid coupling) GM hydramatic transmission behind the V-12 in his '41 Continental. He even had a Columbia axle in that car for many years. Kinda tricky to shift the Columbia, but Dick made it work. Dick later upgraded to a torque converter automatic (probably a Ford-O-Matic) and changed to an open driveshaft and no Columbia. All this happened before the availability of off the shelf adaptors to enable bolting anything to anything.

The attached photos of Dick Schell's '41 Continental are from my Webshots photo album of the LCOC Western National Meet - Oxnard, CA 1988 at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/111929227VeqOrO

These images were captured from an old video tape and aren't the best quality. (Pre digital cameras!)

post-32768-143137938243_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137938245_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the additional info.

Pretty sure I'm going with the 4.6, I have one out of a 03 squad car with less than 50K miles on it. Sort of a die hard Ford Guy.....I'll make sure to take some pictures as we make the change. I know I will catch some heat from some of the Lincoln purist, but I am going to try to cut as little as possible and am going to keep everything I take off the car. I just like the idea of being very dependable and the creature comforts I can add. I know everyone drove these cars coast to coast years ago, but there were mechanics that knew what a flathead was (let alone a V12). I thought about a Ford V10, but pretty tough to come by without brakeing the bank..

Thanks again for your input....

Lane