PLEASE Help Me Locate.......

My dad owned a '65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 2 dr/ht. automatic back in the 70's. It was "going to be my car when I got old enough to drive it". I'm sure some of you have had the same story played on you. The car was black on black, and beautiful. <BR>The man that bought it from Dad supposedly took the car from where we live in Georgia to a museum in Michigan. This summer I took a road trip to the Henry Ford Museum. Of course it's not there. The VIN # is 5N68Z124306.<P>If anyone EVER happens to run accross this car I would be MOST grateful to find out where it is. My Dad passed away and was burried on my birthday in '97. I bought another '65 Galaxie to just bring back some fond memories of the times we spent together. Times that I sat in his lap and drove that car all over (both sides) of the dirt North Carolina back roads. Other times I remember lying in the back seat while making the long trip "Back Home" to Georgia for the Holidays and just happening to make a whistle sound. <P>Then everytime I wanted to show someone that I learned to whislte, I'd drop right down on the floor and lay on my back and struggle til I got out a little wrrrrrrrr. <P>I'm not able to have children of my own to create memories like that so I'll just try to relive my memories and enjoy every moment that I get to just sit behind the wheel and at least hear the engine run.<P>Time is important because I have Cystic Fibrosis and I have already out-lived the Dr.'s expectations. Thanks guys for any help or advice you can offer.<P>For all of you that still have your Dad's, you should let them know NOW while you still have the opportunity how much you appreciated that first drive and what it and He means to you. How I would love to take my Dad for a drive in my '65 when it's finished. I just hope he can look through a window from Heaven and enjoy watching me take off in it when I do get her fixed up and going.<P>My Dad was the silent type. We didn't tell each other often what we meant to each other, but we both always knew how important to each other we were. We spent many hours together working on the family vehicles doing maintenance and such. It seemed like at those times we were connected at the heart. All it took was a quick glance at each other and we knew that was our way of <BR>saying "I love you". (Or maybe he was just thinking: "go ahead and hold the wrench like that... when that nut lets go it's your knuckles that get busted, not mine".) blush.gif) <P>Before he got sick, he was the MOST patient man in the world. He'd take all day to teach me how to do something if it took that <BR>long. He instilled in me that no job is worth doing if you aren't going to do it right. How I wish he were here to be able to work on my Galaxie like we used to work on his. <P>Thanks for listening to my reminiscing.<P>Scott Fouts,(FasFordWon@aol.com)<BR>Chickamauga, GA<P><BR>------------------<BR>Scott Fouts,<BR>FasFordWon@aol.com<BR>Searching for '65 Ford Galaxie 500 XL 2 dr/ht. - 390/automatic VIN# 5N68Z124306<p>[This message has been edited by FasFordWon (edited 01-08-2000).]

Many states will do a VIN search for you, for a nominal fee. You may want to start calling the states you expect it to be in.<P>I am about to do the opposite; I have a car and I want to trace its previous owners. My plan is to make duplicates of a photo and send it along with a very nice letter to everyone I contact about it. Hopefully they will help.<P>Good luck.<P>Cheers, 3MP

• 3 weeks later...

3MP, Thanks for the reply. I tried getting to the DMV of a few states on line. They told me that those records can not be disclosed to the general public. That was about 6 mo. ago. Any other suggestions as to what I can do? Thanks for your help.<P>------------------<BR>Scott Fouts,<BR>FasFordWon@aol.com<BR>Searching for '65 Ford Galaxie 500 XL 2 dr/ht. - 390/automatic VIN# 5N68Z124306<p>[This message has been edited by FasFordWon (edited 01-08-2000).]

This will sound devious, but it worked once for me. A State Trooper lives down the road from me and when faced with a similar problem, i.e. "we don't release that information to the general public", I asked him if he could get more cooperation from the DMV. He did! If you don't personally know a trooper or individual in a prominent position, check your friends. This might work for you as well.

This entails a lot of work but you might want to check each state's freedom of information act to see whether DMV records are exempt. If not explicitly listed in the FOIA, you may be able to challenge the DMV by making a formal FOIA request.<P>You can also search around for a Galaxie registry; it might be listed in one.<P>Cheers, 3MP

Thanks guys. I've got some family memebers in law enforcement. Haven't thought of trying that route. And I'm in the Ford Galaxie Club of America and looking there too. I'll let you know if it turns up.<P>------------------<BR>Scott Fouts,<BR>FasFordWon@aol.com<BR>Searching for '65 Ford Galaxie 500 XL 2 dr/ht. - 390/automatic VIN# 5N68Z124306<P><p>[This message has been edited by FasFordWon (edited 01-08-2000).]

• 1 year later...

It is a sad story about your Dad and the car. My story is different. I remember riding in the 39 Buick when I was a kid and stealing it when I was a teen. He sold it before I got married. Last July the owner died and his son sold me the 39 Buick for the same $1000.00 that My Dad sold it to his Dad for. I plan to have it running by July of this year and my Dad will drive it once again. I am sorry to hear about your Dad and hope you locate the car. Mark Sanders Snellville Ga. sanders4@mindspring.com