Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'cam sensor'.
My '89 started intermittently showing the E041 and turning on the SES light about 4 or 5 months ago. It got more frequent in the past 2 months and from about three weeks ago the SES is on all the time from the time I start the car. After reading up a little I figured it was a cam position sensor and interrupter since the light was constant. I finally got time to dig into it a little and snapped a few pictures. First I found that the pigtail looked good. http://i.imgur.com/mvEfhJb.jpg I jiggled the wires a little and none of them seemed loose or damaged. Then I took out the sensor and turned the motor until I saw the interrupter and it was somehow still there. http://i.imgur.com/Wib06el.jpg http://i.imgur.com/2032rMb.jpg Does this thing look functional or do I need to invest the time and effort into digging it out of there and doing the JB weld fix to put in a new one? The vehicle has 120,000 miles if that helps at all. I also found this broken sensor/plug thing down there and I think I found where it plugs. I would really appreciate any input on what it is/what a part number for a new one is. http://i.imgur.com/zyi812o.png http://i.imgur.com/EKeGpFb.jpg http://i.imgur.com/1dWn2Kf.png Thanks in advance for your help guys! -Tom
For the past couple weeks I've been getting an intermittent e041 code, along with the service engine light on/off. I replaced the cam sensor the other day and the code hasn't been set for about 80 miles of mixed driving. Now for the enigma: for the first 30 miles it drove smooth and steady. But now it seems to miss big time and sometimes to be operating at about 40-50%. If I hold off on the gas a little it seems to "catch" the rhythm and stop missing and I can keep it from missing for quite a while at various speeds. If I accelerate too fast while in gear it starts missing (or rather acting like it's missing). It will also do this while idling in gear, but will sometimes smooth out all by itself. Before I installed the new sensor it did idle rough and sometimes lose power, but not anywhere like it is now. Plus, before this I was getting the code (and only that one, besides the every pesky e027). I intend to run through the diagnostics in the FSM as if the code's still being set, but was wondering if anyone can suggest some place obvious to look first (btw I have the Delco ignition). Thanks!