Removing the rear wheel bearings and rear axle seals in a 1929 Dodge DA

Do you need to remove the rear wheel bearings or axle seals in a 1929 Dodge DA? Maybe a few pictures might shed some light on the subject. Here goes...

Photo 1: The rear axle shaft is held in place by six bolts that hold the rear brake backing plate and the outer rear axle seal retainer. In this example, the outer rear axle seal retainer is an aftermarket version made of aluminum and contains a modern lip-type outer axle seal. (I highly recommend this upgrade- we have used it for over 5 years without any trouble).

Photo 2: Shows rear brake backing plate and the outer rear outer axle seal retainer after removal.

Photo 3: The rear axle shaft can now be removed from rear axle housing. Put the axle nut and washer back on the shaft. With a few light taps with a slide hammer-type puller, the axle slips right out, along with the outer wheel bearing cup. You can also re-install the drum and the axle nut and use the drum itself as the slide hammer. (I recommend using an actual puller- do not chance messing up your drum). The photo shows the inner and outer tapered wheel bearings back to back on the now-removed axle shaft. These bearings are pressed on. Many ways to remove them-best way being pressed off. Some people cut them off with a die grinder. Be careful if you choose the latter approach. In any case, these bearings must be replaced if removed from axle.

Photo 4: With the rear axle shaft now out of the way, the photo shows in order a) the axle-housing flange, the inner wheel bearing cup, c) the axle shims, and then d) the inner axle grease seal (steel-cased felt seal).

Photo 5: A CLOSE- UP of Picture 4: showing in order a) the axle-housing flange,  the inner wheel bearing cup, c) the axle shims, and then d) the inner axle grease seal (steel-cased felt seal). ( I am working on finding a replacement modern lip-type inner axle seal. I will post results, if successful).

Photo 6: This photo shows in order a) the axle-housing flange, the inner wheel bearing cup, c) the axle shims, and then d) the inner axle grease seal (steel-cased felt seal) which I have now started to remove by destroying it. If someone knows a magic trick, bring it on!

Photo 7:  Pulling the inner bearing cup with slide-hammer type puller. Once the inner seal is gone, you can get a bite on the inner cup (and the shims that are immediately behind the cup). This took a few healthy slams with the puller before the cup gave up the fight.

Photo 8: showing the inner bearing cup and the two thin shims that are immediately behind the cup. Your axle may have more or less shims than mine. The shims are there to allow for the specified axle shaft end-play. I recommend checking your end-play before you pull the axle just for comparison sake. The actual shim dimensions will vary with your new bearing/cup stack. Try to be gentle with the shims if you intend to re-use them. Mine were only 0.005 inch thick, so handle them with respect. I beat the living sh*t out of mine. I was able to flatten them out, but I will probably find replacements.

Photo 9: shows inner or outer bearing cup (flip-side). The inner and outer bearings and cups happen to be the same on the 1929 Dodge DA.

Hope this helps-cheers!

post-54582-14314264966_thumb.jpg

post-54582-14314264967_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143142649678_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143142649685_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143142649693_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143142649701_thumb.jpg

post-54582-14314264971_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143142649716_thumb.jpg

post-54582-14314264972_thumb.jpg

Edited by idrjoe_sandiego (see edit history)