Jump to content

Bill-W

Members
  • Content Count

    323
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About Bill-W

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The U.S. Dodges were built in Canada through to the end of thr 1960 model yedar. The 1934 DRXX and DS were not built in Canada as well as the later D17. From 1935 through to 1960 only the top series was built in Canada. From 1936 through 1962 Chrysler of Canada did not build convertibles. As well, 1946-52 Custom/Coronet body styles were just sedan, LWB sedan and club coupe. 1953 (Coronet) and 1954 (Royal) saw only 4-door sedans while 1955 (Custom Royal) added 2-door hardtops and 1956 4-door hardtops. Other body styles were imported from Detroit. Canadian-built Dodges got the 25-inch six
  2. Could be. Have come across owners of Chrysler products sold in Europe that were CKD units from Detroit and CH did not have build records for those cars. An owner of a unit shipped from Detroit complete had a build record at CH, but the record had no entry for dealer or shipping.
  3. The museum is a non-profit organization and is not controlled by Daimler Chrysler Corporation, a company that ceased to exist about four years ago. Chrysler was sold off to Cerberus and when Chrysler went into bankruptcy the new Chrysler company had four stockholders - the UAW, Fiat, the American government and the Canadian government. Through all this the Chrysler Museum remained independent of the goings on at Chrysler LLC and were not involved in, nor affected by, the proceedings. How do you know the museum "tossed" Jeep information? Chrysler acquired Jeep when it purchased AMC in 1987,
  4. The D2 was built in the U.S. and Canada, and there were very few difference prior to 1938 - mainly upholstery, trim and colours. Both the D2 and D2X were exported - the X meant the engine had a 2.875 inch bore instead if the normal 3.25. Exports included whole cars or bodies in `white`, meaning the body was painted white to protect it while being shipped wherever. Primer is porous and thus the steel body would rust when shipped by boat overseas. The final color coats were done in the importing country. Very few were shipped in pieces as the assembler would need jigs to put the pieces together
  5. Dodge did not offer the semi-automatic transmission before 1949. The Fluid Torque Drive was first offered in 1951 on the new Chrysler V8 models. The FTD torque converter had its own fluid pump at the rear of the unit where the sump was as well. FTD was first offered on the DeSoto FireDome V8 for 1952. In 1953 FTD was offered on all DeSoto and Chrysler models and for the first time, Dodge. This year, though, FTD used oil from the engine and lost both the sump and the pump. At mid-year the Dodge 6 with FTD was mated to a 3-speed manual transmission and Plymouth's Hy-Drive was born. Bill T
  6. "Cahoots" generally infers something unsavoury - not illegal perhaps, but definitely shady. In the case of Henry and the brothers Dodge, Henry did not tolerate tobacco or alcohol, while the brothers thought nothing of going out for a few drinks and, according to legend, getting into fights with fellow patrons. They were noted for covering the costs of the damages and also contributing to such civic causes as the Detroit Symphony. Another anecdote about Henry concerns the recession of 1919-21. As with most car companies, by 1920 he had more cars than sales along with material purchased at i
  7. The serial number will be on a plate attached to the right front hinge post. This location was adopted when the FEDCO plate was dropped for 1930-31. In 1946 the plate was switched to the left (driver's) front hinge post. For cars, such as 1939, with the front doors hinged on the forward edge, the plate will be attached to the post under the "A" pillar. On cars such the 1932-33 models with "suicide" style front doors, the plate will be found on the "B" pillar. The firewall plate was placed there by the body manufacturer, whether the body was built by Chrysler, Briggs, Murray, Hayes, etc. T
  8. That's not a Canadian Dodge, but if it really is a Dodge, it is an American-built export Dodge, model D12. Total production - 13. The export Plodge from 1935 through 1941 offered all the Plymouth body styles in one series, which in 1939 was the D12. Thus the coupes, sedans, convertibles, utility sedan etc. were all offered as a D12. For the Canadian market, the Dodge D12 (Six) offered the Plymouth P-7 coupes and sedans while the Plymouth DeLuxe (P8) coupes and sedans were the basis for the Dodge D13 (DeLuxe Six). Chrysler of Canada built no convertibles from 1937 through 1962, but did imp
  9. Henry Ford and the Dodge Brothers were not in cahoots, they just had a business agreement. Back in 1903 Henry Ford was in need of engines, transmissions and axles, items the brothers Dodge made. In return for agreeing to make parts only for Ford, and for tooling everything with their own finances, the Dodge brothers received 10% of the issued stock. Around 1912 Henry Ford announced he was going to start making his own parts and was going to build a huge factory to do it. With that, he declared Ford Motor Company was not going to pay out dividends. To which the Dodge brothers took him to
  10. If you have a D12 or D13, they used Plymouth taillights. The large D11 Custom used the same lights as the US DodgeBillToronto, ON
  11. Nice selection of cars, although the red 1937 Graham is a 1941, and the grey 1934 Supercharger is a 1937. The 1940-41 Hollywood series used Cord 810 tooling for the bodies. The Graham cars were not connected to Dodge as the Graham brothers left Dodge in 1927 and purchased Paige, which was renamed Graham-Paige. The Gragham factory on Warren Avenue was purchased by Chrysler in 1947 and became part of the DeSoto Division. DeSoto bodies and engines were produced there from 1950 through 1958. Bill Toronto, ON
  12. The other two numbers, between the "CY" and "6R", are in the seal in the centre. They are difficult to see, but they are there. Your photo is a little too small to maginify and still see detail. Bill Toronto, ON
  13. FEDCO serial numbers were six digits in length, originally 3 letters and three numbers. The number you gave is two digits short. The `CY` at the beginning is correct as is the `L` at the end. In between is 7xx, x7x, or xx7. The plate will have the numbers in the centre with it spelled out in small letters above it. 7 was usually put as sevn. Need the missing two digits for a complete serial number. The letters Chrysler used, and their numeric equivalents - W - 0 P - 1 C - 2 H - 3 R - 4 Y - 5 S - 6 L - 7 E - 8 D - 9 Thus CY is 25 and L is 7. The 75, model R, started at CY-050-P and ran
  14. Prior to 1951 Chrysler did not build bodies in Australia. T.J. Richards and Holden were the main suppliers until the mid-1930s I believe, with T.J. Richards being the main one after that. Chrysler purchased T.J. Richards in 1951. T J Richards and Holden were the main suppliers of bodies for Chrysler in Australia through the late 1930s when T J Richards became the sole supplier. Both produced bodies for a number of different American import chassis, including Graham and Willys. The 1935 Australian Graham used Holden-built bodies similar to the U S Chevrolet. T J Richards tooled a new body
  15. Pearlescent is another word for metallic. Rinshed Mason called them irridescent and Ditzler called them polychromatic (poly). They all mean the same. The first metallics appeared in 1932 for the 1933 model year cars. Graham had pearlescent colours in 1932 apparently using crushed fish scales to produce the effect. For 1933 the fish scales were replaced by aluminum filings. In 1941 Plymouth offered nine metallics - 201 - Aviator Blue Metallic 203 - Eddins Blue Metallic 301 - Metallique Green Metallic 303 - Jib Green No. 5 Metallic 401 - Plaza Brown No 3 Metallic 503 - Flight Gray Metallic (ear
×
×
  • Create New...