Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by mikewest

  1. 8 minutes ago, alsancle said:


    You are right.   For some reason I thought Cord owned Columbia like Lycomming, but I think I was wrong about that.    The Auburn had the lever on the floor in 32 while the Franklin has a dash switch.

    Close again..... smile.... Auburn had the 2 speed control on the dash and the lever on the floor is to engage or disengage the free wheeling. I removed  a 12 Cyl Columbia  axle a few summers ago because the man buying the car want the original Franklin rear end assembly . That Franklin  the controls were on the floor like a second gear shift assembly but it had been crudely installed  about 50 years ago. 

    Also E L  Cord may have owned Columbia axle.... I dont  remember. But I think so...

    • Thanks 1
  2. On 1/19/2021 at 9:48 PM, Bob Cornman said:

    Hook sent me this picture of the latest of the latest in snow removal equipment.  I recognize the car in the picture.  Believe the picture was created by a prior owner.


    Bob , Ive never seen this image before.  At first I didn't think it was your car because the spokes look like chrome but your car is the only one with a courtesy light in the left apron. Maybe if a previous owner did it was it Bill Longley? 

  3. 1 hour ago, alsancle said:


    The V12?  I was in a garage with an owner that had recently bought a 12.  He was very happy.  I actually told him something he didn't know,  which was they came with Auburn two speed rear ends.



    Well close..... Auburn 12 and Franklin 12 cars shared the same rear axle assembly made my Columbia Axle. I dont believe Auburn made any 2 speed axles .Ive had several of them  in all 3 configurations. With some updates they are a great  accessory. There is a big difference in the 12,8 and 6 cyl axles in size  and weight.

    • Thanks 1
  4. On 1/20/2021 at 10:28 AM, D Bosco said:

    I am working on restoring a 1907 Mitchell Model E runabout.  Mark Hyman sold one at auction in 2018.  Does anyone know who owns it now?  I need to ask permission to see the car for comparison purposes.


    Don Bosco

    Staten Island, NY


    917 957-1855

    Don, Contact Don or Chris  Mitchell from the Mitchell club. Its a very good chance he will know  / He  keeps good records and maintains the Mitchell roster. He also owns a few early mitchells. # is 309 314 5515 

    If you need motor jugs a friend of mine has some.

  5. On 12/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, Restorer32 said:

    Years ago Dad and I went to look at a Model A Vicky that was advertised in the local newspaper. As we got to the seller's house another fellow pulled up and followed us as we walked up the sidewalk. He said "You guys were here first so you get first chance at the car.  We're standing there talking price with the seller.  Seller said he wanted $1300 for the car. Fellow who followed us to the car said, in a voice loud enough for the seller to hear' "If these guys don't buy the car for $1300 I will".  Now Dad would not pay asking price for anything. He looked at the seller and said "I'll give you $1100". The seller accepted the offer, knowing full well the back up buyer would pay $1300.  The back up buyer just shook his head and walked away muttering to himself.

    The OTHER buyer was his cousin Wallace.... It was a setup deal  and your dad was smarter than they were. He recognized the rat in the room.

    • Like 1
    • Haha 1
  6. This Buick is in my backyard . Maybe  2 months ago I went with a truck and trailer to look. I left it there with no regrets. This is strictly a parts car . The wood is all gone and its  missing  a lot. The extra long wheelbase  would be only good for a commercial car. .The price is right if you have a need for these parts. The seller  is motivated waiting for a offer.

    • Thanks 1
  • Create New...