Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

78 Excellent

1 Follower

About Roadmaster71

  • Rank
    100+ Posts
  • Birthday 09/30/1949

Recent Profile Visitors

2,290 profile views
  1. John ... The 1940 pushbuttons (likely from model no. 980620 radio) appear to be the same as all 1941's (model 980650) and likely the same as 1942. In 1946 Buick had two different radios: model 980690 had pushbuttons the same as the 1941-1942 models. This radio was on Buick car models 40, 60, and 90. A second 1946 radio (980744) was used on Buick car models 50 and 70 and that one had the sloped buttons. They may fit but they are incorrect on a radio with the square pushbuttons. Other models from 1947-1948 (980745, and 980798) had the sloped pushbuttons. I have not tried
  2. The same buttons were used over very few years. Buttons can look similar but differ in details such as a straight or sloping front profile. I will give you some specifics a bit later when I have access to my radios. In the meantime you will find lots of mostly correct information here: https://sites.google.com/site/identifyingcarradios/home/radios-1/buick-1 This extensive site is a depository for information on ALL brands of car radios. The link brings you to the Buick section.
  3. Stuart: I checked the 1941 Buick Parts and Service Bulletins manual (abridged ed., Aug. 23, 1940 - Sept. 13, 1941) I was not able to find anything about using the jack. There sure was a lot of other stuff, though: Leaking trunk, water getting into backup lights, radio dial sticking (use white "lubriplate", not the brown stuff), leaking air cleaner .. oil all over the place .... install shield), etc.
  4. Stuart, I do not know if Buick acknowledged the danger of their rim jack. I suspect it was replaced in the late 40’s but I don’t know when. I think I have a Buick manual that lists problem areas and solutions like when they changed the spark plug size and changed exhaust recirculation for some straight eights. I will check that. You raise a very interesting question. Please post here if you find out what happened. Ken Carr, KE1RI
  5. Stuart : I just repair radios as a hobby. I am not a pro so I only work on my own radios. I would hate to mess up someone else’s radio. Neil’s suggestion is a good one.
  6. Ditto on everything said above. AAA and the small bottle jack are your best bet. It is nice to have the original jack kit for display. Every owner’s manual had the inscription on the inside cover. That was done by the publisher to get your attention. There were two versions that appeared in the manuals of which there were at least 7 editions. The one you have likely directs you to page 60. The instructions actually begin on page 59. They corrected this in the 7th edition and put two inscriptions on the inside cover. They read: “Suggest you read short wave radio information page 97.
  7. Is the battery fully charged when you are trying to start in the cold weather? Charge the battery (trickle charge / battery minder) before attempting to start.
  8. Very nice result, Neil! I think you are just about ready for spring.
  9. Old bulbs vary mostly in base type and filament voltage. A source of specifications & photos is here: https://www.bulbtown.com/Bulbs_By_Base_Type_s/27.htm If you are replacing ,for example, a bulb that used 6 volts as it was installed in your old car you need to replace it either with an LED that uses the same voltage or you need to change the 6 volts from your battery to the voltage required by the LED. The LED voltage requirement will usually be less than what the car supplies. In that case you insert a voltage dropping resistor in series with the L
  10. I also had to remove the instrument panel to replace it and to install new wiring. I wrote a couple blogs about my experience. They may be helpful to you. And all the advice from Neal and the other folks is very good. Regarding tools you may want to pick up nut drivers that have a hollow shaft and one of those short round socket drivers that are good for close spaces. http://idlenot.com/?p=45301 Part 1 http://idlenot.com/?p=59410 Part 2
  11. Do you have a YouTube account? Put the video there and post the link here.
  12. This is from a few years ago. I convinced my wife to pose with our ‘41 Roadmaster. We were on a club trip to a local cider barn.
  13. Photo offered for discussion on Facebook. https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/11/buick-aero-car-1920.html Submitted by Marc Hendrix Better photo shows sign on rear that appears to read “Aeroplane Propelled ” There is also another sign on the side of the car that is not clear. The photo seems to have also appeared in a Facebook group (within Facebook search for Yacht Club des Avions de la Route.) that discusses vehicles that mix technologies such as airplanes, cars,and boats. The text is in French and English. I suspect the car was powered by an airplane
  14. I struggled with that sensor on my ‘41. It took me days to remove after I broke the cable off (unintentionally). The full story along with a few other challenges is here: http://idlenot.com/ I eventually bought an NOS unit from a friend. It works great!
  15. Great photo! Old cars and snow go together well!
  • Create New...