All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Current market Value $ wise may be depressingly low - BUT quality value for the build of the car is high , the 6 cylinder cars were made as well as the 8 cylinder cars. But that is only my opinion, and no I do not own a 6 cylinder Packard, never have, but friends have that I have experienced with great satisfaction .
  3. Quote: "Riker was the lead engineer at Locomobile and was probably the "behind the scenes" designer of many of the early Locomobile automobiles." Andrew Riker did work with them, he was definitely one of the unsung hero's of that era. I keep seeing his name pop up. From what I can tell he started out building electric cars, then worked with Locomobile and Stanley on steam vehicles, and then went to work with Locomobile full on when they transitioned to gas engines and headed up their truck division. As I understand it, Whitney was their first head engineer in the steam era. Here is what an internet search just turned up: From this page: http://www.kcstudio.com/riker.html SAE's first president was Andrew L. Riker, an early pioneer of electric vehicles who later produced the Locomobile Company's first gasoline-powered car. Riker served as SAE president for three years, 1905 through 1907. Born in 1868, he produced his first electric car in 1894, using a pair of Remington bicycles as a base. Like the Columbia companies, which had several names and incantations during their run, the Riker companies had three names of incorporation plus two different home locations during their existence from 1896-1902. As listed in The Encyclopedia of American Automobiles published in 1971, these were Riker Electric Motor Company, Brooklyn, N Y. (l896-l899), Riker Electric Vehicle Company, Elizabethport, NJ (l899-l900), and Riker Motor Vehicle Company, Elizabethport, NJ (l90l-l902). The company became one of the country's leading manufacturers of electric vehicles, including cars, trucks, vans and trolleys. Rikers were combined and distributed with Columbias until the company was finally absorbed by Electric Vehicle Co and the brand ceased to be used for automobiles. Riker gained acclaim for his development of high-speed electric cars. In 1901, his electric-powered racer "The Riker Torpedo" set a world speed record for electric cars that stood for ten years. Five-ton electric trucks produced by the Riker Company were in use in New York City in the early 1900s. Riker became vice-president of the Locomobile Company in 1902, overseeing the firm's production of automobiles powered by two- and four-cylinder internal combustion engines. His design of the company's first gasoline-propelled car included many features which were largely unfamiliar to the American market, including a sliding gear transmission, steel frame, and gear-driven electric generator. In 1904, he designed a special 90-horespower racing car, and in 1908, he developed Locomobile's "Old 16," the first American car to win an international race (the Vanderbilt Cup). The victory boosted the reputation of American automotive engineering throughout the world. In the World War I era, Riker/Locomobile trucks were very popular, and heavily advertised in publications such as Scientific Americanand The Saturday Evening Post. Riker was appointed to the U.S. Naval Consulting Board in 1915, chairing the board's committee on internal combustion motors. Riker died in 1930. Three Riker electric vehicles, including a truck and a racer, are housed at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The book Andrew L. Riker and The Electric Car - A Biography of the Young Riker by Neal Donovan, published by McPherson College Press in 2003, chronicles Riker's early experiments, his contributions to the fields of electricity and transportation, and his business dealings.
  4. Very nice car.......value is depressingly low.........
  5. The problem with using a brake drum is that it covers to much of the back of the wheel when you are spraying it. Wire wheels need to be painted from the back and the brake drum defeats that. You need to be able to paint the full wheel on both sides.
  6. If I remember my '36 DB correct, I believe the right "L" knob is for the dash lights and the left "L" knob with the clear element in it is for headlights and shows lit for bright lights.
  7. Ah I already knew the answer as my beautiful young wife told me this 9 or 10 years ago when we were dating and while she doesn’t attend a whole lot of car events etc she does give a lot of behind the scenes support in fact recently she told me about a car her hairdresser wanted to sell but didn’t know what it was worth and wanted someone to take a look, I had look and he really wanted a offer on the car anyway I told him I was not too sure how my wife would react if I got yet another car. Anyway When I returned home I told her what happened her response was “ I would not have told you about it if I was worried about having another car in the shed” so it looks like we will have a 1926 Chev shortly. Just goes to show there are still some Gems out there (cars and women 🙂)
  8. My 56’, someone prior to me had shoved small pieces of rag in the transmission cooler lines where they unscrewed from the tranny and then reinstalled them without taking out the rag pieces. That is what cooked my oil in the tranny. Matt
  9. Beautiful work Joe. Having done some like this myself in the past, I can really appreciate your work. The average person only gets as close as inserting or removing a bolt, never thinking twice about them. Making them, especially custom ones like these which actually are still kind of simple in design, gives a whole different appreciation for something lots of us use everyday.
  10. I've been fighting the PC battle for many years and I can say with utmost certainty, Norton's has always been known for throwing "false positives". In other words, warning about threats that aren't. A better third party protection program is McAfee's. However, if one is running a 64 bit PC and Firefox browser, a third party virus protection isn't really needed unless one is being super careless, downloading unsafe freeware, clicking on attachments from unknown senders etc.Windows 64 bit has a really good built in firewall. If something starts acting flaky, run the free program "Malwarebytes" which will isolate and delete any unwanted registry keys, suspect cookies. I've been running like that for about ten years reading emails internet surfing and haven't had an issue in years. Here is a thread about Norton's and false positives. https://community.norton.com/en/forums/please-stop-throwing-false-positives -Ron
  11. There are only two notches the shift lever (D and L), but it's a 3-speed transmission. Put it in D and you'll feel it shift through all three gears.
  12. Hello Ver4TC, contact garnet-gold/ and get acquainted if you don’t know him already. He puts on a great TC meet each year in November. You will get to see many TCs and meet important people in the club. Here’s mine. I live in Arizona so chances are slim that I will be there.
  13. "It is a 1995 that I ordered brand new. It still has the plastic cover on the back seat from when it was built. Terry Wiegand South Hutchinson, Kansas" -------- My 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 3 door, owner since 2002 and driven daily. Great truck!
  14. Yeah, but one of them was specifically described as "dealer installed". Which raises the obvious question as to what was on there before the dealer got to it.
  15. Some folks might think that condolences are more appropriate for a division which had to deal with a dysfunctional BOD.
  16. Thank you, guys. I'll follow up on these leads. It'd be easier just to replace the compressor, of course, but I still have the original in there and I'd like to keep it going if possible.
  17. Wanna test for O.C.D? Buy paint with this stuff.... Eventually I had to just walk away.
  18. Today
  19. D J . Dimensions are the same. I have some photos I can text to you if you'd like. Not sure how to post here. If interested hit me back with a phone number.
  20. I’m understanding it as there being 3 different boosters that u can potentially find on the 65 vs it being same same across the board??
  21. Update on my TC, she is back on the road and shiner then ever. I took her on a four hour drive and back and it was the funnest ride ever even with the hard top on. Another car saved!
  22. Rather well-preserved Single Six.
  23. Here's a pic so people don't need to go to a link to see it. BTW the cnbc link did not work for me because I have a pop-up ad blocker, and was asked to disable it, and chose not to.
  24. This is an original brass bulb horn made by Lucas King of the Road # 480451. It has no reed or horn bulb, but they are available via Restoration Supply. There are three very small dings, & no cracks. It is left with patina for those who prefer a horn for an original un-restored car but can be polished for a restored car. $175 + actual shipping. Please send a private message to purchase as I do not frequent this part of the forum. Thanks
  25. G'day Billie, She's coming along nicely. Can't help you out with that one as Holden bodies had a totally different set up. Danny
  26. Driving south on 997 in FL on our way to key largo we spotted two Maserati Chyrslers (Yellow and Red) parked off highway. Yellow one inside fence. I share this because that someone is clearly proud of these cars and I thank them for making my day.
  27. I forgot to mention the hood is split on the sides like this image. All the hoods I've been able to find are split like that at the crease. Is that indicative of anything?
  1. Load more activity