All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The Buick oval window brougham. One of my all time favorite nickel era cars! Fifty years ago, I knew of three or four of them near where I grew up. i don't think I have seen one in person for over thirty years now, and only a few in modern photographs. This one is sad to look at. Much worse condition than the ones I knew of years ago. I hope someone will buy it and restore it well. But it cannot be me anymore, I have better projects I don't have enough time for. (And the price? No.)
  3. Regarding youtube...I've looked for videos on a few occasions. In about 80% of the cases it's clear that the person making the video isn't equipped for the job and doesn't really know how it should be done. It's a "tractor mechanic's" (to use Ed's term) playground. I don't bother with TV at all...I don't own one. I did try watching a couple of these car shows in a hotel room once. In less than 5 minutes I switched off they were so stupid.
  4. Remember how these bodies were delivered to assembly plant. Doors were on (with skin) and aligned. Body was then dropped on to frame(with drive train). Radiator support then installed then fenders(with inners).
  5. I was a millwright for 20 years. We lifted like this every day. With no oil pan the back strap would have been between crank throws, the front was at a good place. In a " basket" as this is he had the full 6400 load of each strap to his advantage. Ease up, Bluedevil did good.
  6. Somebody got the low buck HCCA buy of the month! Yes, the rear fenders are the 1915/'16 style. But the car appears to have the very rare one year only 1913 rear turtle deck (unless it is a well made fake?). It needs a lot of restoration to be a really nice car. But maybe with a bit of effort, and a little time, a thousand or two dollars, it could be a very usable brass era T.
  7. Previously I described how a decent mechanic caused a Exxon Valdez's type experience by improper oil filter installation on Annie. Way before that I took the GS to an oil change place that tried to sell me on front spring installation to cure the "spring squeak". I asked what spring squeak was, after all, the deteriorated control arm bushing was visible. So they had the guy in the pit observe the suspension while the confident bumper dude stood on top and bounced the car. Sure enough, the faceless voice down under says, "yep spring squeak"...I politely declined that service and went back to doing my own oil changes.
  8. Wish I had the money. One couldn't do much better than that for a cheap HCCA buy-in. The headlamps are era after-market electric lamps replacing the original acetylene gas headlamps. Most of the upholstery looks to be original, but decent enough to still have a few good years of use left in them (driver's bottom cushion has likely been redone?). Wheels are wrong color, otherwise the car looks mostly pretty right. Tires are typical correct size model T replacements, model Ts drive just fine on them! One never knows what sort of gremlins will be found in cars that have sat for a few decades? But model Ts tend to be very forgiving. The odds are good that it could be running in a weekend, and ready to tour in a month.
  9. There was an episode on Fantomworks I think, they did a full blown resto mod on a mustang. This was like a 2 yr project the customer kept changing his mind and direction of the build. In the end he said he could not stand the car and it was assumed in lieu of paying the bill the shop took over the car. I think it started as the owner and Dan being good friends and enemies towards the end. Most likely a lot of extra bs added in for entertainment value. The show with the Guild in Canada is ok to watch, and my one go to is My Classic Car. Stacey David is ok, and Sams Garage is ok, but they are mostly just commercials for the products 'they are using'. It would be nice if you could get tips or techniques from these shows but its all just mindless banter. If I need to know how to do something and all else fails I will go to u tube. But even then I weed through about a dozen videos and take the average.
  10. Today
  11. Yeah, most of us have been there at some point. On rare occasions I'll have my trusted wrench do an oil change for me, but most times I do it myself on all our cars. Quick lube places are very convenient and reasonably priced but let's face it, not many master mechanics work there. Pretty sad when something as simple as an oil change needs supervision.
  12. No big deal John, you are still 99.98 % correct all the time . I will try to remember to take a picture today.
  13. F for safety? Crane companies use similar straps everyday!
  14. If the other end was opened with a door on it, the wood in the box would fit. One or two pieces at a time.
  15. As Anthony over on the H.A.M.B. says, I'd drive it. Ben
  16. I like a man that is proud of his woman. Always preferred not to brag, though. Now, the car is fair game. Ben
  17. Just like today with movie chase scenes. Maybe in 100 years from now people will be complaining about all those beautiful 2020+ cars being destroyed. Oh well, time moves on. (beautiful 2020+ cars?????????????????) haha
  18. The original, I believe, had a rubber grommet the cable ran through . Seldom , maybe never, replaced. I used a short length of heater hose to replace same. Ben
  19. Boots look GOOD. I hate breaking in new shoes. Yeah, I know about the "kids" thing. Raised a houseful and only one lives close enough to help. She is too sick too! But, Bernie , we have lived long enough to say " but I didn't die young" as the song goes. Cheers Ben
  1. Load more activity