All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. My first car was a '56 Buick Roadmaster Riviera. I drove it for several years with no major problems, but one day the splines on the drive shaft stripped out (where it goes to the differential. I replaced the rear end with one from the junk yard and got it running again, but within a few months it stripped out again. I ended up replacing that part 4 or 5 times with exactly the same problem, before I finally got rid of it. I have always wondered why this problem cropped up, and what caused it. Does anyone know why that might have happened, or how those splines should have been lubricated?
  3. I agree Dave. Dont understand your point? I gave a reference.
  4. There was a "Mystery car" on the MTFCA board a while ago- after some spirited back and forth the general consensus was that it was a Gale. That discussion turned up at least one Gale still in existence, with pictures! http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/869692.html?1528068680
  5. This is so very true. I've said it before, a 60 year old restoration (done in 1960) may very well be now weathered to look "original" to our eyes, because we forget the object we're looking at is 100 or more years old. I've been fooled, too. I was visiting the museum in Sacramento when I fell in love with two cars, one a beautiful early Pierce, the other, what appeared to me to be a wonderful original 1910 Peerless. I marveled how well it held up, and was convinced it was a well cared for original car. I happened to call a friend of mine in Idaho who really knows early cars, and I don't mean a casual knowledge. Just about any early 40HP or higher car out there, he probably knows the car and it's story. I told him I was standing next to a wonderful, original, 1910 Peerless. He immediately said "the one in Sacramento?" and he chuckled. Not original, he said, it was restored in the early 1950's and then driven for years on just about every tour there was for a number of years. The "patina" I was admiring was only 60 years old at the time.....not 100 years....
  6. Rustoleum satin black barbecue grill paint. It’s lasted longer and looks better than any other manifold paint I’ve used. A lot cheaper than the “manifold” paints also. Get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot too.
  7. This fuzzy picture is of a 1907 Gale from the Standard Catalog of American Cars. It shows the car having louvers on the hood side, further indicating that the mystery car may be a Gale.
  8. At around 11:00 am yesterday - I was honored to be one of three people to witness this 1904 Ford Model B come to Life and running smoothly on all four cylinders. My friend Kim Dobbins spent a little over a year with the help of others including Don on the right to make this happen. This is the only known largely original 1904 Ford Model B known to exist in the world with an original engine just as it rolled out of The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant in Detroit. The Piquette Plant was the first purpose built plant by Ford Motor Company. The 1904 Ford Model B was the first vehicle to be assembled at that plant. This particular 1904 Ford Model B just may be the earliest largely original vehicle in existence to be asssembled and sold that was produced at Piquette. I brought this vehicle to Kim just before Christmas in 2018 from a mutual friend. Jim
  9. Ok thanks but I'm asking about the Calyx manifold goop that is rubbed in, not Eastwood paint. Thanks, Peter
  10. Need a right rear fender and some info about how to get the window crank and door mechanisms out..new at this so probably more to follow
  11. The $485 Roadster was a Ford,. the bottom end of the "food chain". We're talking about Model A Duesenbergs here, quite the opposite!
  12. Another photo from Bob and Betty's photo album. My mother-in-law was very close to this couple and was given their personal photo albums, now in my possession and from which I am copying these photos. Bob and Betty had no heirs, seemed to have lived a life full of joy and wanted my mother-in-law to have these albums. I have thoroughly enjoyed reviewing them. I believe Bob and Betty originally hailed from Central NY but spent winters in St Petersburg, FL. The photo below is of the old pier in St. Petersburg, Florida, constructed in 1926 for just under a million dollars; hence called "the million dollar pier". The pier was reportedly prominent through the 50's but was demolished in 1967 as it fell into disrepair. The photo below appears to have been taken when the pier was relatively new, based on the ages of the cars parked in the foreground. Does anybody have suggestions for the vehicles' identity?
  13. Yes the hotel puts the banners up. Preferred Drop-Off Times: - Wednesday 2/5 & Thursday 2/6 (until 8 p.m.) - **Banners to be hung overnight on Thursday 2/6** - Location: @ banner table located near registration counter on Liberty Foyer Last Minute/Late Drop-Offs: - Friday until 8 p.m. - **Banners to be hung overnight on Friday 2/7** - Location: @ banner table located near registration counter on Liberty Foyer ** We will remove all banners starting @ 8 p.m. during the Awards Dinner on Saturday night and place all banners @ original drop-off location on the Liberty Foyer for pick-up that night OR the next morning** Pick-Up: - Saturday 2/8 After 10 p.m./After Dinner - Sunday 2/9 All Day - Location: @ banner table located near registration counter on Liberty Foyer If there are some guests who need to leave prior to our removal times, they can take the banners down themselves using careful discretion not to harm the railings.
  14. picture was taken circa 1940. I guess the double axle rig sat out in a salvage yard in Johnston, RI till about 1950.
  1. Load more activity