All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. In that arrangement, the pin would be inserted to hold the latch against the ratchet. That is, you don't want the ratchet to fly open, and you want something more substantial than a spring to hold it closed.
  3. There are a pile of these waiting to go into auction from the "duck boats" business. Remember the one that sank in a bad storm? Those are all in storage waiting to be sold. read that some place a month ago. I have a friend with a 1944 Schwimwagen and a ketenkrad. Now trying finding parts for them !
  4. Great car. Four door family transportation for the time. What's not to love?
  5. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/coupe-deville/2416279.html
  6. Hi, I am wondering if you have an extra pair of bugle horn brackets for a 34 Plymouth PE? Thank you
  7. They typically have some sort of ratchet system. Some of them are EXTREMELY noisy, to the point that they start messing with your head. I have seen a bunch of them disabled. I won't use a hoist like that. Some designs allow you to hold the latch open as the car goes up. Typically you then let it back down against the latches to take the hydraulic pressure off, and let the mechanical latches hold the car up.
  8. Here should be a period image of a similar model T on the street with other regular cars.
  9. I wish every "faded" interior had that detail. The wood grain looks as clean as new shelf paper. I see not much wear on the pedals either. I might need a Desoto
  10. Yesterday
  11. Not being a Corvette guy at all, this would be the only year I would have.
  12. Don't some of these hoists have locking pins that hold the hoist in place to protect against hydraulic failure?
  13. The data plate is silver with a black decal overlaying it. If you open the hood and look into the engine compartment from the passenger side it is on the firewall to the right of the heater blower assembly. It is possible that it was painted over when the car was restored and that is the reason that it isn't easy to see. If that is the case you should still be able to see the numbers as they are stamped in the data plate. In terms of figuring out the value of this car I would suggest looking at completed sales on Ebay. That will give you a good 30K foot view of what cars are selling for currently. I agree that the lack of a convertible top reduces the value. If the new owner wants to get one the cost will be at least $2,500 or more depending on what the person decides to get. Best regards, Lew Bachman 1957 T-Bird
  14. I do not think you are nuts. It might work to a certain degree. I don't think it would too hard to build and try one. I think a window hung "swamp cooler" might be better.
  15. The filter on my 147 is a Purolator PER 1/2 which has the restriction on the outlet end.
  16. Thank goodness. They might serve on a trailer queen but who would know when someone might go for a drive. I am not sure if shrinkage was the problem. My original (90 year and 500,000 mile) "Jaxon" wheels have the shoulder of the spoke radiused to the curvature of the felloe.
  17. I would not consider going under any hoist without jack stands that were totally separate from the hoist. I worked in a GM Dealership that had eight or ten hoists. Each stall had a single hoist that was positioned to go under the rear axle housing and a movable front hoist that lifted the front of the car. These had a ratchet mechanism that protected the car from falling. Four times in fourteen years a seal in the rear hoist blew and the back of the car dropped leaving the car at a 45 degree angle. Each time the ratchet attached to the rear hoist was unhooked by the explosion of the seal. All the held the car up was the one inch edges on the front hoist. Each time the mechanic was quick enough to get out from under without being caught. Tall jack stands were brought in after the fourth seal blew.
  18. Yes, those big trucks can dwarf our old cars. .
  19. Thanks for the reply. The spokes are new but they were done by someone a long time ago thus the shrinkage. I have no idea why someone would interchange the two but I would assume they used what they had. I am not running them.
  20. For what it's worth, not hitting the doors on two-post hoists is ALWAYS a problem. Some are offset toward the front, some are not. With the posts offset forward, you will have to be careful getting out. With them centered, it can be very hard to get out of the car. Doubly so if it is a wide car. There is also the matter of balance. The weight has to be somewhat evenly distributed so that the car will not have a tendency to tip front to rear. Offset to the front works best for big American cars like yours, as well as modern front wheel drives. Once you get used to using your individual hoist, you will get a better idea how to "load" cars on it for good balance. Sometimes they wind up closer to the front of the bay than you would like, sometimes they hang out the back more than you want. Better to be safe rather than convenient. After looking at that hoist you mentioned, it appears the posts are centered. Put the posts as wide as you can possibly get them, and you might not have to climb out through the window.
  21. Hello My rear drum for my 53 Dodge pilot house pick up Is damaged beyond repair I have scoured the web and I am unable to find one anywhere, There are plenty of 10 inch ones on eBay but for some reason 11 inch are not available, Anybody have any ideas on what I can do? thanks!!!
  22. Not to take this thread off track, but is crimping the return line the proper way to check fuel pressure? I have a fuel pressure gauge mounted between the fuel filter and carb on my '65. At idle the needle bounces around close to zero (see 1st pic). When I crimp the return line pressure increases (see 2nd pic). Is this not the proper place to mount a fuel pressure gauge? The car does not feel like it's starving for fuel with the return line uncrimped. Thanks Doug
  23. Put in a 4th set at 120". Or two rows of evenly spaced bolts for infinite adjustment. On some jobs, you might not care if it's next to the wall. On others, you might want to get to both sides. Put in 6 or 8 sets. Won't change the cost much, and you might be glad you did. FWIW, a lot of folks with 2-post lifts augment them with extra-tall jackstands placed front and rear to keep the car from rocking. Maybe I'm an idiot, but the idea of leaning into something like a pinion nut that requires 250 ft-lbs of torque (i.e. a long breaker bar) while the car is perched on a 2-post with no additional support seems a little suspect.
  24. Back to the topic at hand. Anyone have any better indicators of value for project cars? I will take something current or something older. Thanks Doug
  25. Something doesn’t sound right. I serviced that platform back in the day and never had any issues getting correct parts. Did you get a Delco starter directly from Delco? That was whit I was implying. Not a Delco brand starter from a reseller.
  1. Load more activity