All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. It is such a beautiful original car! It deserves to be cherished for at least the next hundred years. Sadly, I don't think that is the way our world is going. Just another comment about those beautiful tires! I don't remember the whole story, or all the details. However, as I recall from reading about 40 years ago, I think it was 1948. The hobby and civilian life was ramping up and getting back to normal. I think it was the VMCCA that was trying to get the revival Glidden Tours going. One of the problems the hobby faced was a lack of really good tires for "our" antiques. Bad enough that many of the sizes had not been manufactured for a decade or two, tens of thousands (probably closer to millions!) of perfectly good obsolete sizes had been donated to the rubber drives for the war! Hundreds (thousands?) of nice antique automobiles sat in barns and garages on bare rims. Several of the big-time early collectors (as I recall, Jame Melton was specifically mentioned?) approached Firestone who still had many of the original molds for the "NON-SKID" tires. Firestone provided (for a cost of course!) new NON-SKID tires in a wide range of sizes. They continued to make and sell them for a few years into the 1950s. I never heard why they stopped, however, by the late '50s, other companies stepped up to manufacture antique car size tires. I would bet a dollar to a dozen donuts that those tires are some from the post WWII runs. Even at that, those tires themselves have some historic value. And, THANK YOU AACA! For this wonderful forum, and all both you and the VMCCA have done for this wonderful hobby for so many years. The VMCCA and AACA have shared the Glidden Tour Revivals for many years now. A priceless legacy in and of itself.
  3. Today
  4. Thanks Mike! It seems that I forgot to write that the lower part of the gas tank is removed. This is the reason why the tank on the picture is strange looking. Plus, the remaining part is not centered on the underbody. It's that way because I have to continue the electrical job.
  5. Most models had a Parts list, and a set of mechanical drawings, and an owners manual. Originals are rare and generally very well used.
  6. Keiser31, you are not the only one. Nearly every post from Roger just amazes me, the detail is just unbelievable.
  7. I may be the strange one. I have never really been drawn to fire trucks a whole lot. However, I truly appreciate anything that old in really original condition! That truck is wonderful! And your pictures of the interior bring back so many memories. My family had a whole bunch of Chevrolet and GMC trucks so many years ago. I did a lot of my learning to drive in several of them. I drove hundreds of miles in a '54 GMC ton and a half lineman's extension ladder truck! It had a small bucket to stand in at the top. I was using the ladder for service repairs before I could legally drive (NO hydraulics in those days, the ladder was raised and extended, positioned and handled all by pure brawn!). My dad had a two-ton Chevy flatbed, several panel/service trucks, pickups, among others in the family that I also drove. But what caught my eye? The Motorola radio. I still remember the call signals used in the television service business. K-M-K, 2-4-2, Mobile two to base (or mobile six or?). And, to keep this connected. We (my family) were headed to a family visit when we spotted a car fire just starting up going the other direction. My dad swung our car up onto the next overpass (we were just outside our normal range from the base, and needed the added elevation). My dad then radioed the base, to call for a firetruck. After making contact, we got back onto the freeway (one of the few in the greater San Francisco Bay Area at that time!) and headed to where the car had pulled off the road, its trailer almost fully engulfed at that point. He then unhooked the trailer before the fire could spread to the towing car, just as the firetruck arrived to extinguish the trailer, which was a total loss. It may not be "brass era" or "nickel age", but that truck is a wonderful, and so very excellent original, piece of history! I hope you enjoy it for a long time while you figure out what to do with it.
  8. Interested about the acetylene soot for the soldering. I use that idea on annealing aluminium but have never thought of using the idea on brass for soldering. The valve caps you made look great. I like the idea of the soldering jig.
  9. Color Misty Green Same color and interior as my 49 ford convertible, fancier bumper guards yourss.
  10. To be correct i was there 2 seasons and one time in Glen meyer and one time in Tillsonburg .In the weekend we came to the belgian house and i believe that was in Delhi .people told me that all tabacco is gone now .Our first farmer had a ford galaxie 500 and the other one a big 1960 chrysler .I would still like to go back one day but i don't know if this will ever happen in this life .
  11. the electric fuel pump needs to be mounted near the fuel tank to push the fuel, but no reason why the fuel pressure regulator couldn't be mounted in the vacuum tank.
  12. Probably te bottom was not perfect when the car was new...
  13. Great info Hugh, no worries I’m staying with the stock configuration but just curious if anything has tried this modification. I was thinking the day, it would have to be a pass through within the Vacuum tank housing.
  14. This was standard practice for Microsoft back in the '90s and earlier. Vapourware it was called. Promise then delay. Then delay some more... and more.
  15. Diesel has very high ZDDP content. More than you need,and possibly too much. Someone else will have to tell you how much is too much, and the problem it may cause. - Carl
  16. William, The vacuum tank is "too high" in elevation from the fuel tank to hide a fuel pump in. The pump could be installed in the fuel line along the frame. Then you have to make the vacuum tank a pass thru, which you could do with some hose or tubing inside the canister, if you wanted to make it look authentic. The last big hurdle is the needle and seat in the carburetor. It can only handle about 1 psi, so you would need to modify the carburetor to accept a modern needle and seat. To stay with low pressure, you would also need to add a fuel regulator after the fuel pump. To their credit, If the original systems are set up well, they work well. The more often you drive the car, the better they work. Hugh
  17. The diesel rated oil will probably not be 20w50, rather 15w40. Try some Valvoline 20w50.
  18. just grow a new finger or too that would help on the Assembly. dang that looks like you did such a good job .
  19. Here is a touring body if you are trying to collect more parts to go with that front end. It has been advertised on craigslist for several months now and appears to be located in Wisconsin. I don't know if anyone has identified actual year and whether it was a 4 or 6 cylinder model. Kevin 1916-1920 buick touring - $2600 (poynette) https://madison.craigslist.org/pts/d/poynette-buick-touring/6837162350.html
  20. Just curious here, since Bob’s carries a modern spin on oil filter inside an original style oil filter housing of the 1920-30’s era has anyone modified a Stewart Warner Vacuum Fuel System housing to contain a 6/12volt Fuel Pump and regulator so the look of authenticity however the “convenience”, I guess as I know there are pros and cons to everything, of a modern fuel pump/regulator system?? Obviously it would entail gutting and heavy modifications to the SW Vacuum housing to hide a electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator inside however I’m just curious if anyone has attempted it ? Again, I know there are pros and cons and as many of you know I just got my ‘27 Standard running after sitting since AT LEAST December 2004, maybe earlier, when the prev owner passed away and the car sat in the garage untouched till Summer 2018, and I elected to rebuild the S&W Vacuum Fuel Pump/System and just got the car running last week and first real drive on the road will be this Saturday! I am anxious to hear from everyone on this and curious if anyone has tried this modification! Please join the fun and let’s hear from everyone on it..... ”Pictures is not my car, just a pic on topic, if it is your car.... wow she is Purdy!”
  21. @Dave Fields, you do know the rule that if you mention a car, you have to post pics of it, right? Well, maybe I just made that up, but we’d love to see them. Glad you had fun and thanks for your post. Looks like a beauty. Would love to see more pics.
  22. I like this one: Driven by Dick Shawn as "Sylvester".
  23. Green on red, ugh! Reminds me of this oddball 1970 Eldorado that pops up every now and then. Finished in Nottingham Green Firemist which, when ordered with the white leather interior, is absolutely stunning. However, somebody decided to to order the same Nottingham Green Firemist with red leather interior. It couldn't be worse.
  24. Title: The Allen Course for Modern-Engine Tune-Up Publisher: Allen Electric and Equipment Company Publication Date: 1947 Vintage, used, Modern Engine Tune-Up, The Allen Course, electric equipment, mechanics, service book, manual. The book remains intact with all pages present. However, it shows overall wear including tears, discoloration, staining, notations throughout the book, and other signs of aging. Please see pictures for more details. Asking $45 (includes shipping). Will ship via USPS.
  25. I never saw any smoke and it was too dark to see behind me going down the hill... but I'm not surprised you saw the puff of smoke, its going out the tailpipe for sure! Just not enough to see all the time. Spinneyhill suggested a 20W-70... I like that idea What, if any is the difference between a diesel 20W-50 and one made for petrol engines? Would the diesel be more heavy duty and perhaps work better?
  26. Wow... that happened right after the long weekend? NICE! Sounds very much like the motorcycle trips (4 times) I have taken from here to Laguna Seca in Montery. I have done a few of those stops, It will most certainly be on the cards as my family was not with me for those trips!
  1. Load more activity