All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Without wanting to be insulting……….the last real Classic LaSalle is a 1933. And the lesser series of Cadillac’s and Buicks should have not been let in. It’s not dumping on the cars……lots of good cars are not CCCA eligible. If you have worked on hundreds of pre war cars…..you know what a true Classic is………defined by the club PRE 1986 is a good spot to start………..like everything else in this world………..standards have gone to hell. While a 1941 Cadillac 60 special is a very nice car……….its a mass produced production car without any special attributes except it’s easy to drive and parts are cheap. And, for the record…….I like the later series Caddy’s, and drive them often. They just aren’t a classic. My 34 Buick 56C is a fun car………..small in displacement, small in chassis length, has significantly fewer parts, poor fit and finish new when compared to a V-16 or a Pierce. Also……please remember, I have a 1915 Ford T………and enjoy it. It’s not a Classic.
  3. I have 3 that are 2" However, your .08 measurement is very short. 1 if mine is 1 3/4 & other 2 are 2". Sorry, I tried 🤷‍♂️
  4. Somebody replaced the cab with a cut off coupe body
  5. With all due respect to those who have to worry about the gas mileage their collector car gets, maybe a different hobby would be a consideration. Catalina Sports Sedan 389 Trophy V-8 2-BBL (man. 3) Performance Review fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c©: 20.5 l/100km 13.8 mpg (imp.) 11.5 mpg (U.S.) source: https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/pontiac/full-size_pontiac_7gen/full_7_catalina_sports_sedan/1962.html#gsc.tab=0
  6. Thanks NailheadBob, I just made a new post because I need parts O & Q for each side, if anyone out there has available would be greatly appreciated!
  7. I have heard that corn head oil works good in bevel gear transmissions. I also recall the same person telling me to dump a quart of automatic transmission fluid in my cars crankcase to stop valve noise. I have, and will always use 600W aka semi-grease lubricant,or steam oil in my transmissions. For years I have used CV joint lubricant in my steering gear boxes, and have yet had one to leak or fail. Jack
  8. Actually that's a Double-Breasted Squatting Harpy with the optional flapping wings. They're extremely rare, and when you're driving more than 25 mph it emits an extremely annoying screeching noise.
  9. Why is my 1940 Lasalle a Classic but you say the Packard 120 will never be? The reasons you give apply to the Lasalle also. The later Lasalles shared body shells with Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac.
  10. And just as remarkably, the family had saved a lot of memorabilia for 90 years from that very car--the original license plate, some Penna. registration cards, even the original salesman's business card!
  11. Sorry, seller, when you get the title papers all sorted out, and adjust the asking price down to under what a rough but assembled car might sell for, there might be some buyer interest. Source 5: Low 4: Mid-low 3: Avg 2: Mid-high 1: High OCRPG $24,600 $41,000 $92,250 $143,500 $205,000
  12. I’m looking for handbrake parts, please see photo, would like to purchase 2 with springs and related hardware if available, thanks for looking..
  13. Thanks for your service Paul. I watched the A-10 Thunder Bolts, aka the Warthog, fire the gunnery ranges in Korea. I don’t know whether or not they fired on targets you had charted, when they finished, what remained of the 12” thick battle ship iron targets placed high on the mountain side, sure made a believer out of me. Jack
  14. AJ, if you buy that, I’m gonna slap you up side the head……..with a 2x4………..with nails sticking out of it!
  15. I do have this broken speedometer that came from a friend. It is a 1928 Chevy AC speedometer. It does have an 80 MPH speedwheel. The bezel is not as "deep dished" as the picture from the catalog. I can rebuild and calibrate these, but I have to use all the parts that come with it. I would suggest that if you do find one on Ebay or the like that you want rebuilt, it is best not to open these or try to turn them. I open them in a special fixture to prevent damaging the bezel, and I don't turn anything until I have pulled them apart and cleaned and checked the bearing surfaces. Hugh
  16. Here's a remarkable case--not mine, but one of our late region members', which I included in a past newsletter. He got the car back after more than 90 years! His grandfather owned a general store in McConnellsburg, Pa. In 1906, on a buying trip to Philadelphia for his store, he purchased a 1906 Cadillac for $979 at a Cadillac-Peerless dealership, the Automobile Sales Corporation, on North Broad Street. He shipped the car home, mostly by rail, and replaced his horse Old Nell with the latest in 25-mile-per-hour mechanized transportation. In 1914, he traded the ’06 Cadillac for a new Franklin car, and the Cadillac was used for a while to power machinery at a local sawmill. Eventually, though compromised and unrestored, it ended up in the growing accumulation of pioneer car collector Emmert Swigart. The car sat unseen in a Swigart storage building for many decades. It wasn't until 2007 that our member Harry Johnston was able to return the 1906 Cadillac to the family. When the Swigart Museum auctioned off some surplus cars that year, he reacquired the Cadillac. "I wasn't going home without it," he said determinedly. Then he had it restored. Here is an old picture and a modern one. The headlights (optional) hadn't yet been reinstalled in the newer picture:
  17. No, not personally. But I remember they had some problems with gas tanks exploding during a rear end collusion. But, I suppose a semi-tractors fuel tanks would explode if hit hard enough, and the circumstances favored an explosion. I have had mucho experience with a Vega, and I bought one, with a seized engine about 1973, and I learned a whole bunch about their aluminum head and Teflon coated cylinder bore. I just chose a Pinto here because it gathered a reputation as a junky car….perhaps rightfully so if compared to a LTD or Gran Torino, but worth the money as a economy car. The Vega, well, history says it all so I will let a sleeping dog lie. Jack
  18. A 120 will never be a CCCA Classic. It’s too small, too cheap(when new), and a mass production car with nothing special about it. It does offer cheap, easy to find parts, and it’s very simple to work on compared to the big cars. Basically “easy to own”………gives it much appeal for part time car enthusiasts. Certainly easier to drive and park. Perfect for ladies to drive without the “battleship syndrome “ of the senior series cars. Will I ever own one? Probably not, but then again, the 34 Buick is basically the same category car…….except fifty times more rare. With a fair amount of upgrades, the junior series car becomes very drivable……….high speed rear, radial tires, ect. Personally I. A purist, but the little 120 is hard to beat for a first time pre war car.
  19. Today
  20. If I was younger this would be hard to pass up. Just hope it hasn't been setting outside very long.
  21. I am located in Lake Jackson Texas which is 50 minutes south of Houston. All of the photos I have shown above are of the "Standard" AC speedometer. They have a round bezel. The one used in the Master Buicks uses the same speedometer internal parts, but the odometer cage is different and the trip reset rod comes out the middle bottom. The bezel and faceplate are also different. Below shown is a 1925 AC speedometer used in the 1925 Buick Master. These Master units are much harder to find. The quality of the pot metal kept getting worse every year that AC made speedometers in the 20's. That said, every now and then they got it right and I do find good later model units. I do have one very rough unit that may be a 1928 Chevy unit, so I will try to grab a picture. Hugh
  22. It doesn't look long enough for a full-size casket. But what do I know---I've never been in one...😆
  23. I need the parts in the photo for hand brake, need 2 and related hardware also circled. Thanks for looking..
  24. This picture was for sale on Etsy with no information. Looks to me to be Japanese military headquarters in a foreign country late 1920's or 1930's. Anyone recognize the 3 cars of the same make on the left? Howard Dennis
  25. EmTee thanks for the write up. You always have something constructive to add. I think you might have motivated me to dig into and clean up and lube my passenger window that has been dragging for months.
  1. Load more activity