All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I like them! And if they are under appreciated so much the better for getting it at a decent price and enjoying it and not worrying about resale. If I was paying $100k then resale would factor in.
  3. Wow these are beautiful but way out of my price range. Looking for more of a project that's a runner.
  4. GreatWarTruck and Blastermike here on the forums are the authorities on that. An agent for the War Department(Britain) showed up in the States and more or less wrote a ticket for a 12,000-unit purchase of Peerless trucks about 1914, so the Brits got most of them. A chassis converted into a sheep hauling wagon turned up in Kansas or Montana a few years ago, then disappeared. 15 years ago, there was a complete 1914 Peerless truck in the Sierra Mountains, a town called Quincy, CA, but it and the owner, Richard Egbert, have vanished. No one here on the AACA Forums is from that area, so the truck is pretty well hidden for now, whatever happened to it. As Tim and Mike could tell you, there are some survivors on the other side of the pond. Sandstone Estates, an agriculture, railroad, and vehicle museum in South Africa has one that still runs. In Ireland and the U.K. there are a few frames, 2 Peerless Armoured Cars, one chassis with a plywood armoured car body used in a Liam Neeson/Julia Roberts film, one truck at a clay quarry museum found under some rubble, 1 being restored by GreatWarTruck, and a Condition #1 TC-4 restored by Richard Flynn as a beer cartage truck. A friend of mine, David Baird, offered to fly me to the UK for the Bonhams auction when all of Richard Flynn's vehicles were sold so I could bid on it. We decided not to follow through on that due to not deep enough pockets. Wise choice: the billionaire movie producer who took it home with him could have outbid us even if we had a million pounds. I'll see if I can drag a piccie of the little truck here so you can see what the attraction was.
  5. Often an EGR leak causes a rough or hunting idle, not so much a power loss. The system is generally pretty reliable but can get coked up and need cleaning. There should be no EGR at idle or full throttle but in between the flow varies and can be monitored in diagnostics to see if you can see a correlation between EGR commanded flow and engine performance. You can block the EGR completely to test with a thin metal strip under the valve or even a couple layers of metal foil type duct tape or even aluminum foil. You may expect some ping or knock with the EGR eliminated under some conditions.
  6. I paid $265 for this gem in 1995. At the time I thought I paid over the going rate. Today, don’t know the going rate for it but $265 certainly will not do it. All glass body made by Gill.
  7. great photo other that that guy in the background... geesh, way to photo bomb the perfect shot Ted. :)congrats hope it goes through great promo for the paint company maybe they can come out and do a photo shoot great time of year with the leaves color changing
  8. My dad worked on a Ford assembly line in Detroit during the Harry Bennett years. That explains a lot. Back in the day there were some noticeable engineering innovations and marque differences. Enough to sway a buyer or stoke brand loyalty. Today not so much. That today's makers are removing badges and offering the more or less limited pallet of drab colors adds to the "McDonald's effect." Mopar still seems to have a bit of a following. Other than a couple of Dodge trucks and the odd Durango my only experience with a "Chrysler" was a 1956 St. Regis I restored. It turned out well but other than the sheet metal was pretty much just like all the others. That said there was just something about it I didn't like. Beautiful car but it seemed clumsy when driven ...............Bob
  9. Thanks all for your feed back on the car. 👍 I'm going to mull things over before talking to her this weekend. I might be dealing with "pie in the sky" here and want to carefully present what I know now. She approached me so...
  10. Once this current craze passes (like $75k mid 70s Porsche 911s), hopefully some are kept for use now and then. The sum exceeds the parts value for now Bob, but I agree not in the long haul.
  11. congrats on selling good looking car was great to see and meet you in Hershey and see the Vega
  12. Technically wouldn't that be a "late model" rather than "from those early days"? Very cool!
  13. Good use of parts that would never be used in a restoration. I do question the price/value of them. Bob
  14. Thank you for the photos. The material is good?. Can you tell me the distance between the centers of the base holes?. There are so many models I want to be sure it fixes in my Buick. Is there any number in the pump?, in the meantime, I will see how much I have to pay to import it to my Country. Thank you!
  15. I have not found a makers ID, and I know there were many buggy makers in our province at the time. I owned 2 buggy's a few years ago, one was brass tagged "Eisenhower Carriage Co" with a local address, the second much more well known, "McLaughlin Carriage Co." with an Ontario address, they eventually produced M/Buick's here in Canada starting 1909. I plan to do some further research to see if I can find any similar buggy in records, images etc that may lead to a name. The seat base is leather with a diamond pattern pleats and buttons. Seat back however is leatherette and as shown un-pleated, and while it looks original, after 130 years who knows, but I would expect seat and back to match at least in regard to pattern. I suppose the seat may have used leather since it gets a lot more rigorous use than the back. One curiosity is on the trunk lid. The hinged edge has a 1/2 moon shaped cutout in the wooden lid, about 18" wide and 6" deep? Lid is fully covered with leatherette, so the purpose of this cutout is a puzzle. It can be seen in the photo with the lid raised. any thoughts? I also note buggy at edges of seat back has various brackets that likely held some form of top. I intend to contact the seller to see if there is a chance the top may still reside somewhere in the old barn. The 2HP shaft system appears to be original to the buggy, it's end brackets are perfect fit into corresponding loops on buggy. The single horse shafts don't appear to be original to the buggy. While they fit dimensionally into the buggy brackets, they are a loose fit, and the hardware details don't match the 2HP unit. This might make sense because over 130+ years the 1 horse setup was most likely used 90% of the time and the original shafts (if there were any) would possibly wear out sooner. It's also possible it was only purchased as a 2 horse unit. The spring plies are all locked together due to rust between the leaves and I will plan to either disassemble them or use a spring separator and some lubricant to free them up. Should be a fun winter distraction from spending all my spare time on old cars.
  16. I see a good original woodgrain in the car, which I would advice keeping. I have a woodgrain business( Woodgrain by Estes ) and would be glad to offer advice on it’s preservation.
  17. Also found a different photo of the green car. Lighting makes it look black, but it is the green one that is currently at the CCCA museum.
  18. gossjh

1913 Hupp 32

I have not tried to shift without the clutch, but do remember that being the trick on some Whites. I do not normally leave a car in neutral while sitting, so I do not often experience the spinning / clashing that has been described. It is natural for us to match engine speed and ground speed. We had the car for sale at Hershey and drove it around, thinking it might be our last chance to play with it. We still have it and my son and I both improved our skills driving it. We also at Hershey fired up the gas lamps and were surprised at how few people had seen gas lamps in use. It starts easily since we retimed the cam.
  19. I have been driving cars with pistons the size of juice cans all my life. If you have to wind an engine up into the high 6,000 RPM's to get "horsepower" it won't meet my expectations. I would drive that Enclave 100 miles on the NYS Thruway to Syracuse at 75 MPH and it was fine. I would come home through the rolling hills on RT 20 and it was disgusting. Too many things had to be pushed hard to compensate for the 220 cubic inch engine to suit me. I'm not a ram the throttle driver. I just got rid of it and was happy to see it go. By the end of today I will have driven three of my cars. I will be very satisfied with their performance and will probably not exceed 3,000 to 3,500 RPM. They will all scoot when I want them to, not because I need to. So the Enclave was a pig compared to my 5.3 Silverado on the same roads. And the exhaust doesn't smell like hair burning when you do have to step on it.
  20. I found another photo of the 1933 FDR inauguration. Just a different viewpoint. Anyone have any information about these 7 passenger Lincolns??
  21. Today
  22. I keep seeing the 55-57 Chev's for sale online for up to 2 years with no buyers. I think everybody that wants one already has it and as they age, lose interest and storage or pass away there are 3 cars for every buyer.
  23. Nearly everyone I know involved in working on model Ts are building speedsters, and a ton of non T builds are in process as well. Mostly by guys under my age of five and a half decades. Observations I have are: this group builds, they aren't into muscle or street rods in the typical sense. Something, maybe romance of a early motoring, etc. Motivates them. These cars sometimes stray from strictly speedster but most probably don't consider them rat rods. They found a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy the hobby, I think its great. FWIW... Maybe artistic license a bit but cool none the less. 🙂
  24. They look just like the 31-32 GM Cabriolet passenger door ashtray. Each division seemed to have their own design. John Potter in California is reproducing the Chevrolet design which is plain compared to yours. Dave
  25. What a great time everyone (at least everyone I spoke to) had this year. If people are losing interest in this hobby it sure didn't show here! I too want to thank all of the volunteers that make this such a great event. I especially want to thank the crossing guards that literally risk their lives stopping the traffic on a very busy road hundreds of times a day. I know I made NUMEROUS trips across the road carrying all sorts of stuff . Thanks again to everyone - already looking forward to next year!!
  1. Load more activity