All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Bingo. After the penetrating oil failed to do the job, I was able to move the rubber bumper enough to expose the bolt threads. Reciprocating blade might light work of it. Thanks Ed!
  3. Cummins ran five different diesel powered cars at Indy, the last in 1952. They were recently all at the Speedway. Here's a good article on the race cars.
  4. Correct, not for working underneath, though work well to prevent flat spots. I usually see them accompanying brass era car and carriages (solid rubber tire vehicles).
  5. Rudolph Diesel came up with the idea and built the first diesel engine but Clessie Cummins is the man who perfected it . Most early diesels in the US were from Cummins in some way shape or form . . Still building them today !
  6. Mike, this is what I have, I haven't figured out yet how to resize the pictures so this might take a couple of replies to show all the details. If it will work for you just let me know as it is yours for the taking. Happy to see it go to use with someone. Don
  7. You are right, I suppose that is why we have turned into a "throw away" society. As a matter of fact, almost all parts of our so called modern life, we are throw away. HA, except for a few of us that savor the past! Al
  8. John, would love to have a set of metal covers but I do not think that is going to happen. Cloth is going to have to do . Just want Ed's car to look a little better .
  9. I like brother Heil have a degree from Michigan. Work smarter, not harder.
  10. Flowing only 26 percent. Wow. How did someone manage that, Ed? From MANY years of experience, I believe most "overheating" problems are "under cooling" due to plugged radiators or too small radiators. Easy to check. Ben
  11. I know a collector who has a very early diesel bicycle built in Germany. Interesting how it obtains the high compression necessary. .
  12. I should add "who says new is intrinsically better?" As often as not it is just cheaper. Were pot-metal carburetors better than bronze or aluminum ones? They may have been from a design standpoint but the use of pot metal was a cost saving feature, not an improvement. The same rubric applies to many items in everyday life.
  13. That is the issue ! I will keep researching - I know I found something more appropriate, but have not dealt with the issue in a couple years (and hate to say it but most stuff I have touched recently has the smaller lighter duty ones and I have been more frying other fish).
  14. I would be happy if one of my friends had the money just to buy it. Not my taste but there is A LOT of hours $pent on this one
  15. Great photos......I wouldn't have walked the entire thing if I knew you were going to post all the cars!
  16. Nickel plated brass gas cap with vent stack. Threads are 2-1/2 - 14 ; Hex is 1-5/8; fine knurl around outside diameter What make used a cap like this ?
  17. Nice day today and I'm stuck at home so I broke out the dish soap, 2000 grit and water. Then got busy with 2 grades of polish. Then a bit of wax. Still got a lot to do but it's looking better. Phil
  18. 300 amp starting at 12 volts.................it's easy to pull 800 amps on a six volt big car............I won't get into voltage drop under load to the coils when cranking for extended periods of time............
  19. These people have great products if they have what you are looking for. http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/Catalogue.htm
  20. Today
  21. Caveat Emptor The doctrine of caveat emptor or “let the buyer beware”—is based on the notion that purchasers must fend for themselves, seeking protection by express warranties from the vendor or by independent examination of the premises. If they fail to do so, they are often without recourse.
  22. They are closed over the weekend. I’ll try Monday morning and see what, if anything, I can do.
  23. One sold at Hershey this year at RM. They are interesting assembled cars from St Louis. Like Moon and Ruxton.
  1. Load more activity