All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Looking for a set of Apache hood inserts shown in the picture. I have seen them on eBay for $200 plus 😲 so not looking to spend that much. I do have another set of inserts I'm willing to trade for the louver style ones. Thanks!
  3. Good idea. I'll edit the thread title accordingly, maybe get some more eyes on it. It's a Flint / Walker-Weiss Axle with Brown-Lipe gear assembly. The spider gears are stamped "4064" Dimensions: Diameter: 2.64" Inner Diameter: 0.75" Thickness: 0.93" Tooth width at thickest point: 0.31"
  4. What is a fair application of the law? Better yet, drive the speed limit.
  5. Power problem is resolved and it was a lot of work and chasing items that were not needed. However, I got a valve job, a new piston, and a ring job, resurfaced the head, and a carb rebuild out of the ordeal... so it's now a pretty solid running car! Embarrassed to say it, but sometimes the simple things shouldn't be overlooked. I had watched the spark jump from each wire to each plug - no issues. Assumed it meant all was well and good. I reset the points, replaced the coil, replaced the condenser, etc. I was certain the distributor was solid... it was idling great and I could clearly see spark at the correct times on each cylinder, when I tested them ONE AT A TIME. After I had the engine back together after my piston ordeal, and it still didn't have power, I thought what the heck - I may as well check the points one more time. It wasn't until I had the distributor cap in hand and was going to put it back on that I held it in just the correct angle such that the light hit it properly to expose a crack that ran between THREE of the terminals on the underside of the cap... the thing was basically triple firing on three of the cylinders. It's surprising it would go down the street under it's own power at all! I checked with my meter for continuity from the lower and upper side of each of those terminals when I was doing my original tests, and they all checked fine - but I didn't even think to put my meter BETWEEN two terminals. After seeing the hairline crack in the cap... yep... the meter showed a path of no resistance between 3 of the 4 terminals in the cap! Problem solved! Lesson learned! And now I can at least pass this along to others so I can save all of you the better part of a year off the road, when 10 minutes changing out a cap was all that was needed!! The old cap now sits on my shelf as a reminder to check and double-check for all possibilities on the small stuff BEFORE tearing into an engine assuming the problem must be inside because you feel you've eliminated everything... check again! Process of elimination only works if you eliminate/test all possibilities, and clearly this was one I overlooked when I only tested the spark one-by-one. At the end of the day, I did discover that the internals had a few issues that are now resolved, so eventually tearing into it would have been needed... but I probably could have been fine postponing that for the next 10-15 years based on the kind of mileage the car gets! Oh well... live and learn. It's a fun solid-driving car now, and the additional stuff I did in the engine just makes it better! Thanks for checking. I know I've commented on this in other posts previously, but should have returned back here to conclude the story for those that come in and read it later. Now you know! 🙂 Thanks again to everyone who helped with this!
  6. Steve, did you say the 63 has the most desirable styling? I can't think of a more expensive 60s car to work on.
  7. I am helping a recently widowed lady sell her deceased husbands inventory of parts and complete engines from the model A and T era. Her husband was a fairly well know painter and restorer in the northern Vermont area. His shop has several complete engines, spare parts, spoked wheels, tools, paint guns and other items. If anyone has an interest or knows someone who might have an interest please contact me drvg121@gmail.com or my cell for texts or calls is 802-274-4869.
  8. Well it did not start out that way. When I test drove it I felt it handled pretty good, 25 year old tires with 90% tread and no side wear, we were able to put it up on a rack and we had a lot of king pin wear especially on the drivers side. Once I took delivery came the tear down, that’s when we saw the decomposing rubber. We decided to take care of all , luckily I had some of the rubber in stock, however when I added up front and rear rubber for stabilizers, shocks, engine mounts it all lists for $3,000.00, we are just lucky that it is available but still it do add up
  9. My reply to your reply: 1) I hope I did not come off as Pollyannaish. I did say skilled hobbyist, and did make mention that even the seller, with ALL his contacts, chooses to NOT make the listed repairs. As you point out there is always MORE to do on an antique car then you think. 2) You have a Very nice Packard 3) You have an excellent garage/shop 4) I wonder if the wheel I see is for a IH High Wheeler,or a horse drawn carriage ? 5) You have a Very nice Packard 6) I advise anyone who wants an old car to start with a model A. Lots of club support, lots of inexpensive and available parts and ease of repair 7) After a model A I suggest a 1951 to 1954 Packard with a 288 or 327 8 cylinder and stick shift, no power steering or brakes. Very easy to sort out, relatively speaking. 😎 My guess on the repair on the packard was bushings and kingpins. 9) Your handle @ramair fooled me, I would have guessed you were a GTO or 442 man 10) Mmm that's a nice Packard in a nice garage/shop 11) I wonder what the dis-assembled brass car in the back round is ? 12) Now that I type #11 I wonder if the brass car is the one you describe as a bottomless pit. I hope not. 13) I have a spot at Hershey. If that in anyway could help you with the car that has " bit you" let me know. By that I mean if some one was to bring you parts to Hershey,or you were bringing something heavy to Hershey to be picked up for a specialty repair ETC. 14) Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me/us
  10. For Sale: 1941 Cadillac Series 61 4dr Sedan, manual shift - $19,500 - Laconia, NH 1941 Cadillac Series 61 for sale by owner - Laconia, NH - craigslist Seller's Description: 1941 Cadillac 4 door sedan. Many new parts. Original interior, four new tires, new radiator. Car is rock solid. Selling because of vision deterioration. Car comes with at least $2,500 worth of spare parts. Goes down the road really good. Contact: Steve, no phone listed Copy and paste in your email: c7c1f88f0cf13e39900bb8cda0700380@sale.craigslist.org I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Cadillac Series 61 4dr Sedan.
  11. Although they were all 3.8L displacement, there were several generations AND some generations where they were pretty much a completely different motor with about the only parts interchanges were motor oil and gasoline. All "3800s" were balance shaft motors. NTX5467
  12. That would make sense. I honestly believe that a safe installation (clamping is vital) is the most important fact, almost all of this will anyhow be hidden. Also, as getting sufficient current to the starter motor is a main task, I am actually considering replacing the ground cable with a longer connected to a starter mounting bolt. By the same consideration, all my main cables are fresh with old-style covers outside. For the smaller wires however I have reused several of those that still have good isolation.
  13. does anyone else have any insight of how the hydro-lectric cylinder attaches to the front seat? I do have the proper attachment to the floor. A picture would be nice. I may be missing a part?
  14. I'm in Dallas but i really would like a tow hitch for my Reatta. I'm swapping in a 4.9 from a Cadillac (not that I'm going to be towing alot with it) but I plan on cutting my Cadillac in half and making the rear end a trailer and I figure I would take that to car shows.. and probably use it if i move somewhere.. anyways, would you be willing to ship?
  15. For Sale: 1949 Studebaker Champion 3-pass. Businessman Coupe - Project - $6,200 - Shrewsbury, MA 1949 Studebaker Champion. for sale by owner - Shrewsbury, MA - craigslist Seller's Description: 1949 Studebaker Champion. 2 Door Businessman Coupe. 3 passenger-NO back seat! Only 1642 of these were made. Very solid car. Always garaged. Have from visor for windshield. Great addition for the antique car collector. Contact: No phone listed Copy and paste in your email: e56cbebf9b1a3346b015b5dfea11ddb7@sale.craigslist.org I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1949 Studebaker Champion 3-pass. Businessman Coupe - Project.
  16. The original owner, Vern Jorgensen, bought the car at Nib Johnston Motors in Courtenay, British Columbia. Canadian Serial No. 74637808628. My dad bought the car from Vern's widow, Gladys, in 1987 and sold to someone in Alberta in 1993. I have wondered for a long time if the car is still around, restored or not and would like the opportunity to purchase it if it were available. The attached photo was taken soon after my dad bought the car. Light yellow and olive green with black & silver interior.
  17. Today
  18. I have used Meguiars #7 show car glaze with good results on my 1950 Buick that still has original paint. Been using it for years.
  19. For Sale: 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Project - $12,000 - Oakham, MA 1963 lincoln continental for sale by owner - Oakham, MA - craigslist Seller's Description: 1963 Lincoln Convertible. Great car for restoration, rare with suicide doors. All original, interior in good shape, could be driven with a little work or good candidate for a full restoration. Asking 12k or best offer can deliver if needed. Contact: Call or text (774) twenty-0-ten-6-2. Copy and paste in your email: a6dbfdeea18334eb9c64d4633e7bcfa4@sale.craigslist.org I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Project. The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 3,138 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertibles built.
  20. Found the number in an Olds parts book and it fits 1965 Delta 88 4-doors, in front of the rear wheel opening on the driver side.
  21. Not fully related to the swap... Here is the El Camino I'm buying thats going to be my new daily driver and allow me to take my Eldorado out of commission so I can pull the 4.9 out of it. It comes with it's original 350 and the quadrajet. Since it's my new daily I'm only going to be doing regular maintenance on it until it decides it doesn't want to run anymore. If you've been following along you know I've been building what i hope to be a hot lil 283 as my first full engine build. I figure when (or if) the 350 dies i can drop the 283 in and then i can really beef the 350 up, likely get vortec heads + Intake for it, get some headers and a better cam and it should wake up enough for what I want to use it for. Theres also a lil sketch the trailer I'm planning to make out of the trunk/rear seat section of the Eldorado. I bet it would be cool to be driving down the road watching a Reatta tow half of an Eldorado lol. Would be fun to show up to sema or a car show like that.
  22. Collectability is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly, AMC enthusiasts are the only folks who can legitimately answer these questions. Personally, I'd opine the interest and demand for 1970's Matadors and Ambassadors is scant. Just the same, its old enough to be of interest to someone, what little that can be done to bring it to the attention of those few AMC enthusiasts is worthwhile. As a used car dealer, I knew like to say, "There is a butt for every seat."
  23. What make of axle did Dort use? Those gears may have been used in other makes of vehicles? Put some measurements of the gears, maybe someone has some lying around.
  24. H o w e v e r, AVG makes a good point. People d o drive like lunatics, disconnected, insulated from reality, cocooned in disposable transportation modules, abetted by ads promising 0 to 60 in a few seconds, but little about 60 to 0 in one second, or the other motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians threatened, maimed, killed by their insularity. What MotiveLens, i and others here object to is the unfair application of the law, and that some of these set ups really are just today's version of yesteryear's speed traps. From "Courtesy + Skill = Safety," pages 4-5 of owner's manual of the 1940 Packard I long ago owned, the second paragraph might be drummed into the ADD noggins of those taking a driver's test today: "Undoubtedly, there are many drivers who need improvement. In most cases, fortunately driving skill can be cultivated if there is any desire to become proficient. Deliberate indifference is an unfortunate attitude. Driving can be and is a lot of fun for those who can do it well. Think of driving as a game --such as golf or tennis -- and approach it with the same enthusiasm and expectancy. The ability to handle a motor car adroitly will give as much pleasure as does ability in any other sport." Packard boldfaced "is" in the above. Note the civilized Mid-Atlantic tone in the above, but Packard advertised not just in Colliers, Newsweek, Fortune and others, but also in the New Yorker, Literary Digest, and National Geographic. In my callow youth, I sold sport cars (Carrol Shelby corrected people, insisting sport was singular and he would know); light, nimble, efficient, not "sport utility vehicles" or "crossovers" (my Miata-driving gal thinking the latter looking like wheeled hamsters in heat). One of the mechanics on break would relax in the showroom and shoot the breeze. We'll call him Mario, because that was his name. In the 1950s, Mario was a driving instructor in Italy and France. Mario told us a question from the Italian driving test: "There's only one correct answer. You're driving down a narrow, winding, two-lane city street with four- and five-story buildings on either side. Suddenly, you notice a woman about to jump from a fourth-floor window onto the path of your car. What do you do next?" "Answer: What are you doing with your eyes off the road?" In today's whiny, buck-passing, blame-passing, litigious society, people would sue, citing trickery, were we to make getting a license more difficult than answering a few commonsense questions and managing to parallel park. They'd cry "That's not fair!" But life, and death, aren't fair. Making everything fair for everyone dumbs down our entire country. We lose our national edge. We become a land of mindless babies and a million more accidents waiting to happen. Pardon the ramble. Overpopulation's traffic prevents enjoyment of a vintage car anytime other than before 9am weekends.
  1. Load more activity