All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Or when the job goes sideways might be in the ER sipping on a few units of blood instead.. I try to find ways to stay out of the ER and keep my blood and body parts intact. I think perhaps this thread should be nominated for Darwin awards for at least an "honorable" mention, someone is going to follow it and eventually get hurt..
  3. What's the wheelbase and do you have photos of the bed and length?
  4. Doesn't have to be 20tons, 200 lbs worth of iron dropping even inches can and will smash fingers or toes to the point they need removed. Absolutely nothing wrong with the straps, I don't have a gripe about the use of straps. The problem is the straps are not attached in any way shape or manner that will not allow the engine to shift or the top of the straps shift once you start tilting the rear down. No matter how much you try to justify poor rigging, you can't outsmart or change gravity. I hope and wish all goes well to the OP and others that may do the same manner, but myself, well I HAVE different lifting plates that can be bolted on to the top or sides of engines which really is the better, more secure way to handle a chunk of iron. Doesn't take much to make a couple of lifting plates, some angle steel, drill a couple of holes and you have lifting solid lifting points.. OP has a flat head, lots of spots there to attach, take nut off, install lift plate, put nut on. Not sure why it is so hard to make it safer but go ahead and do it your way.
  5. Make sure you tow it out of there faster than the mice can follow... Judging by the cab floor it's a critter condo! Cool truck, be fun to put back to work around a hobby farm.
  6. TTR

Engine straps

Do I win something ? A merit badge or star sticker at least ?
  7. Hey Hemi!...no, I dont have one....but looked it up on ebay...comes with all kinds of cartridges....the ones offered have all but chrysler vehicles... will this thing be able to read the codes from the Transmission with its built in software as well?
  8. Paralysis by analysis. By the time all the hand wringing, harrumphing, and doom saying is said and done the engine will have been safely nestled in it,s motor mounts and the job washed down with a nice cold beer...bob
  9. How much if you have no earthly interest in judging, clipboards, trophies, awards, luncheon, dinner, breakfast, soft drinks, golf, alcohol, and are vegan, avoid sugar; just want an excuse to drive your well-tended, CCCA-accepted car, park, look at other well-fettled survivors, visit the Babinsky museum, go home? No wonder cars and coffees replaced most "concours d' elegance."
  10. I wonder what issues might have slowed down his enthusiasm? Looks good for the asking price.
  11. Some time ago I started collecting OE air conditioning parts for my 1963 Riviera. The on it had not worked in the last couple of years I had it. I then bought a 1964 Riviera to drive. It to needed the a/c fixed so I gathered more parts. I’m now installing a Vintage Air unit in the ‘64 and I’ve set aside one each of the parts that I think that I might need when I get around to the ‘63. Therefore I have what I consider a few good parts that I won’t need. I’ll gladly give prices to anyone who might need them for his car. All you’ll need to do is cover $$ for shipping and a couple of bucks for packing materials. PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST PARTS TO RESELL ON EBAY ETC. Here are some pictures of what I have. Ask if you don’t see what you’re looking for. These parts are takin up,room in the garage. I may have more parts downstairs or in the shed. The evaporator box shows some surface rust but the insulation is good on the interior walls. sorry that I didn’t lay this stuff out as neatly as Kreed did.
  12. This engine lifted with straps does not require gaffers. It's not 20 tons. OSHA is not required. The straps replaced chains. The engine can still be tilted and maneuvered into place. Sorry, simply not with you on this one.
  13. i've heard that after the car warms up, shut it off and put it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth. It may pop it loose. Once I started it in a forward gear and rode the Bucking Bronco until it pooped the clutch loose, NOT Recommended without a lot of prior planning on what to do it it doesn't pop loose. Make sure you have room to ride!
  14. Yeah, not impressed when someone takes a good car with good frame and original drive train and then turns around to stuff a modern LS or coyote engine route into what wasn't originally designed for. Take a roached out junker for those types of projects as now you have gone over to "resto-mods" side of business. But keep in mind once you are need deep into a project and the customer decides they want "more", it now becomes a game of wills.. I suspect the T bird episode you are referring to was the customer insisted on more after the project started.. As the saying goes, "the customer is always right".. Not defending the action, just saying that there are lots of information and video left out of the programs as many of those builds are over months to years depending on complexity.. Today's broadcast standards, they only run 20 minutes of show per half hr or 40 minutes per hr, used be 22-23 minutes per half hr and 44-46 minutes per hr.. Yep, you get 10 minutes of commercials per half hr and 20 minutes of commercials per hr..
  15. Beware of sellers of vintage vehicles from the northeast salt belt that don't post enough pictures of the car in the ad. Selective photography might be the order of the day here when the car's high up off the floor on jackstands and there are still no shots of the lower body showing the rockers, quarters & lower front fenders. Says it needs paint work but when the rocker moulding has been removed and is laying on the floor that's not a good sign..........How about some pics giving an accurate representation of what you're selling? It clearly needs some interior work, the heater core's been disconnected and if there's a lot of bodywork required that might be a somewhat ambitious price.
  16. For Sale: 1929 Hupmobile Six 4dr Sedan - Ambitious Project or Parts Car - $6,000 - Taylor, MI 1929 hupmobile sedan for sale by owner - Taylor, MI - craigslist Seller's Description: Original engine and transmission. odometer: 69234. Contact: Shawn (313) 9-7-four-9-3-8-five Copy and paste in your email: a827a77012e7385c991a7c90bcae02ca@sale.craigslist.org I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1929 Hupmobile Six 4dr Sedan - Ambitious Project or Parts Car.
  17. 😂 I prefer “Schaeffer is the one beer to have when you’re having more than one”
  18. Jeepers, I turn my back for a few hours and see what happens. So Willy, hope you get the idea. Most Klaxon horns are 6 volt, like for Model As. This bracket looks home made but it's not. Real easy to make if you have to. And for the wise guy both styles of horns are on my '18 DBs. Which one is Willy looking for?
  19. 1923 Peerless 66 Speedster – “The Fearless Peerless” Chassis No. 66A604 Engine No. 66-A-604 70 bhp, 332 cu. in. L-head V-8, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle, semi-elliptic leaf spring suspension, and rear-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 128 in. Vintage speedsters have been produced by enthusiasts on a variety of chassis, but this is one of very few built on the basis of a Peerless, the Cleveland-built car considered one of the “Three P’s” of great American motoring, alongside the famous Packard and Pierce-Arrow. Peerless was renowned in its time for its durable, conservative engineering, reflected in the long-term reliability of its product. Former owner/builder Ivan Jones and his late wife, Audrey, of Littleton, Colorado, spent the late 1970s painstakingly gathering parts for the car from points East and West. Mr. Jones was a car aficionado and skilled craftsman. Inspired by the speedsters produced by Peerless in the teens, they then built this automobile, together, by hand, completing it in 1981. The car is well-finished, with fenders reminiscent of Brass Era performance cars such as Simplex and American Underslung, a 1922-23 Peerless radiator shell, Peerless Model 66 drum headlights, and cream wire wheels, shod in blackwall tires. The interior features two bucket seats, in the manner of the Mercer Raceabout, forward of a large original Peerless-badged oval gas tank with fillers on both ends, wooden storage box, and dual rear-mounted spares. All components except for the body panels are Peerless, with the seats and teak dashboard being Mr. Jones’ own creations. The windshield frame was cast from a wooden prototype made by Mr. Jones. He even went so far as to shoot the elk that donated its hide to the seats, lovingly upholstered by Mrs. Jones. Power is supplied by a 1923 332 cu. in. Peerless V-8 and three-speed transmission, on the original frame, all acquired after years spent powering a sawmill in the Midwest. Faux Side exhaust emerges from the right side of the hood and disappears under the body, a touch reminiscent of period Grand Prix cars as well as other performance cars of the era. Current owner added a gear-vender overdrive for comfortable cruising speeds. Ivan and Audrey Jones subsequently traveled the United States with the speedster that they dubbed “The Fearless Peerless.” Together the trio enjoyed several tours with the Veteran Motor Car Club of America. Among its duties was leading the parade lap for Indy drivers at the Denver Grand Prix in 2006, driven by longtime friend Jimmy Aretakis. It was also well-known in print, appearing on the cover of the May/June 2002 issue of the VMCCA magazine,The Bulb Horn. There are few more distinctive, fun vintage speedsters than this car – a truly one-of-a-kind creation, with robust, well-proven performance and bodywork crafted with love and care. It is genuinely thrilling to drive and ready to add more adventures to its long history. Offered at $59,500 and located in Smithfield, RI https://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1923-peerless-66-speedster/ Video:
  20. Your photo must have disappeared. Can you post another one?
  21. My uncle Bruce had an exact brother to this car, right down to solid black throughout, 4-speed, tri-power 390 as a used car in 1966-'67 before he was drafted into the Army. He bought it cheap because by then, anyone looking for performance was after a Fairlane or Mustang, full-sized performance cars were largely over with. He took us for a ride, my brother and I were impressed how fast it was. I'll have to ask Bruce who he sold it to and what became of it if he remembers. The 1960-'61 Starliner was sweeping and sporty, we couldn't figure out why Ford dropped it for 1962-'63, only to correct that oversight with the 1963 1/2 fastback.
  22. The owner has asked me to sell this 1941 Limited 6-passenger sedan due to his ill health. No rust, no dents, good original upholstery, runs and drives well but I think it may need a new water pump which I will get to; 320 straight eight was overhauled in the early 2000s, car has 103,000 miles, I overhauled the wheel cylinders and master cylinder yesterday so it has good brakes now. Car has been used in several Hollywood movies--I've asked the owner for documentation. He is asking $35,000 but all offers will be considered. More photos upon request to those who are serious. I have both fender skirts, but did not have the right-hand one installed when I took these photos. Located in Bonham, Texas northeast of Dallas. Pete Phillips, BCA #7338
  23. I like O'reilly's. I didn't at first. I thought they are more expensive than the others. But the 99% of the time they have what I want and of is of good quality. They also are helpful.as they can be
  24. Today
  25. Do you have any sort of diagnostic Scanner like the old Snap-On 2500 'Red Brick' as it use to be called? This thing can do a very thorough scanning of the A-604 on our TCs. That part number you see is the engine controller, the SBEC in this particular car. There is an adaptor to connect with the blue diagnostic connector behind the dashboard lower cover, below the steering column.
  26. Begs for a title Ran when Parked Model T Woody I plan to restore it one of these days
  27. Phantom Works lost me when they decided that the best way to restore a perfectly good 56 T-Bird was to take the body off and put it on the chassis and drive train of one of the Holden Pontiac GTOs. I’m surprised Dan didn’t figure out a way to strap a jet pack on the back to really give it some more juice. I have liked Wheeler Dealers because they do get into some of the intricacies of what they are doing and there is usually something there to learn. The Guild is also worth watching, along with Chasing Classic Cars. Lew Bachman 1957 Thunderbird
  1. Load more activity