All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Dennis, I have a unit from AFI [ Affordable Fuel Injection.com } from MI. They essentially used a 1990 Chevy PU unit, modified to fit. Came with EVERYTHING needed. They even made the adaptor for the throttle body to intake manifold. They have improved on the one I have, using a newer ECM [ computer ] that can mount under the hood. Mine has to be inside. 12V a must. Even that will make you happy. Don't let the naysayers get to you. PM me if you want. I am happy to help. Will talk to you if you share your phone number. Ben
  3. Eating and drinking might be going a little too far. As a 30 + year shift worker who often started night shift anywhere from 11:00 PM - 03:00 AM, Engineer on the same B.C. Ferry's you have no doubt rode on. I was a lot more functional after my Tim's drive through. Literally 1000's of instances and no problems. Also many 0. 6:00 AM shift starts powered by Tim's. You are beat into semi - consciousness by shiftwork, drive through coffee can be the difference between functional and non- functional.. Hard to get a decent sleep when your body is telling you to be wide awake at 3:00 AM on days off and to always be falling asleep while eating lunch. Way more impaired by the shiftwork than anything else, but people have to do it everyday. Several Ferry crew members have been killed or seriously injured in vehicle crashes over the years with body clock disruptions playing a significant role. Greg
  4. That's a farmhand who's destined to remain a farmhand. Some people can't reasonably anticipate what's ahead for the next couple of hours, let alone the next couple of months. I bought two hobby cars from a small lot across the street from my business. It was owned and run (for fun) by an acquaintance who shared my interest in old cars. One day I was over there and there was a young family buying a large mid-1960's Chrysler for no other reason than it was different and cool. That's great...except it wasn't going to be a hobby car for them, it was going to to be their daily driver. Their ONLY daily driver...no other vehicles. It maybe had lap belts and no other safety restraints. Yes, that's the type of car I was hauled around in when I was little, but I still felt sorry for the two or three toddler to elementary school age children who would be riding around in that beast. It ran ok, but needed a tune up. Who knows what the brakes were like. Mom was probably oblivious to that, telling me that she and her husband didn't know anything about cars.
  5. A nice idea, but I grabbed that photo from the unofficial department Facebook page. Unfortunately no one on the department knew what the car was which is why I decided to give the people here a shot at it (I almost always receive an answer too, this is a great forum). I personally love going through old department journals looking for this type of information, but I'm a few hours away from Huntington. Also, you would be surprised at home many departments don't keep their old records!
  6. Ron, wonderful work on the Kissel. Beautiful car. Thanks, John
  7. Three things: 1st) A “Thanks” to you, Kosage, for the detailed picture of that angle iron bracket for the PS Pump! After recently having gone through the eminse inventory of Buick parts that I have, I couldn’t recall if the headbolt with protruding stud was used for that bracket or the generator/engine mounting bracket on the right engine bank! 2nd) To the topic of the 1954 radiator having been used in ‘55 cars: I believe this to be 100% correct, seeing as the ‘55 Buick it belongs to was made in early 1955 (even has the early run of solid valve covers, no breather/oil filler caps. Just the single cap on neck of Valley Pan). It’s serial number being, 5B2009836 from GM “BOP” South Gate, Ca. Assembly Plant. 3rd) After going through some older receipts for stuff I had repaired for my first Buick, I came across the one from back in 2002 when I had my non-A/C radiator (3131177) rebuilt; indicates it was rebuilt with a “4 core”; I’d still need to de-soldier either tank of the A/C radiator (3133727) to determine the number of cores it contains. These have a baffle in the upper tank, below the fill neck that restricts a clear visual image of the cores directly. Picture is of page from my 1955 Buick Master Chassis Parts Book. Lists radiator 3131177 for both 1954 and 1955 “1st jobs”.
  8. In this country, we have realised that is a pipe dream. So, many roads are undergoing safety improvements so that drivers making a mistake or whatever don't kill themselves or anyone else. The usual things being done include removing obstacles (trees, light standards, power poles) from the road side; wide medians; wide shoulders; centre barriers and edge barriers. But the motorcyclists are complaining: they call the rope and post barriers cheese graters because they chop up motorcyclists who run into them.
  9. In the not so long ago early 90s a local had two sedans in similar shape for sake, around $3k per, for 4 or 5 years. I lost track of what ever happened to them...
  10. The article got a couple of chuckles out of me. 22 test cars, that reminds me of the brochure Cadillac put out in 1981 saying that the 4-6-8 system had been test in one million miles of driving. I owned an '81 that was a good car. I read the brochure and thought "What did you do with those ten cars when you got done?". And I couldn't hold back the thought of the forward proximity sensor tied to a heads up display flashing the rear of a car on your windshield. Vice president of the research center drives a five year old Passat and the scientist drives a 10 year old Saab. Does the head of security drive a Peugeot? I have the feeling the New York Times accidentally got their hands on a Sitcom script. I am all for technology. Each little bit advances the field. Bernie
  11. Looking at the project nature of the purchase on the OP''s website link he may be trying to protect himself from selling to someone that doesn't understand that this is not a bunch of parts to be assembled. This is a project for someone knowledgeable with parts fabrication and machining, or someone who is willing to spend the time and money to pay someone who is knowledgeable. Sometimes you have to protect fools from themselves. I have refused to sell vehicles to people who have no business owning them (where the limitations of the vehicle would obviously not be in the best interest of the purchaser). The only time I caved in I regretted it. I was selling a 1980 LeCar (sunroof and A/C ) that would be fun to tool around in for a couple of summers but that as a daily driver had at best one winter left before the tinworm destroyed it. A local farmhand with a wife and two kids wanted it. I did everything I could to talk him out of it to no avail - he stopped by every day and begged to buy it. I finally relented and knocked $259 off the price telling him he would need it for repairs at some point. For a couple of months that summer every time he drove by the house he would wave through the open sunroof. Then the wave stopped and his eyes were straight ahead as he drove by. The next step was sticking his hand through the sunroof but it was definitely no longer a wave. It wasn't long before he drove by in an old falling apart (but running) pickup truck. I never allowed that to happen again.
  12. The higher the amount all just depends on what they have and what the condition is - and how willing they are to photograph, describe, and ...
  13. Curt, you/Auburns Midwest certainly have made made maintaining and restoring 34-36 cars much more enjoyable. When Charles Koch and I did the 1931 Phaeton it was a pretty miserable process of parts unobtainium via days of pre-internet and ...
  14. Yeah, 8 cylinder Hudson for sure. I don't know the years for sure, but it's early '30s, I think, to '52. I have to laugh at the number of bolt holes. Hudson obviously wasn't going to take any chances on leaks.
  15. I recall from reading the '36 Dodge parts book that the side that got the side mount had a different spring to account for the added weight. I personally wouldn't give that much thought, but if you see a little difference in your cars stance, you'll know why.
  16. Today
  17. Joe, how many Woodies have you owned at this point? I think that you must be a carpenter at heart. Congrats on the Plymouth!
  18. Self driving cars will be around until they start seeing widespread use, As soon as the numbers are up and by the probability they have a few noteworthy accidents from vehicle and navigation malfunctions i.e. drive off a boat ramp, and drown the occupants or go haywire and blast through a group of kids waiting on a schoolbus, they will be outlawed. The companies that built them are going to get sued in to oblivion, and the technology will be shelved. A 3-4000 pound vehicle navigating at high speeds around pedestrians is a very dangerous thing. It's like the electronic throttle and Toyota, what could go wrong? Well we seen what could happen. Just recently here in Detroit there was a guy with a New Pickup going through a car wash, he said he went from Neutral to Drive and all of a sudden it just took off on it's own at full throttle and killed one of the people working in the car wash. The News poopoo'd it down immediately. The original news story had an interview and statement from the man right after it happened who was visibly shaken and obviously so. https://www.wxyz.com/news/police-employee-crushed-at-jax-kar-wash-in-troy -Ron
  19. Here's a link to a C/L ad offering a '39 Chrysler motor and overdrive transmission for $500. He's has been offering it for a while now, maybe he would separate them. The location is Sanborn, MN: https://mankato.craigslist.org/pts/d/sanborn-1939-chrysler-royal-motor-and/6853450970.html
  20. You're correct John. That's a proper and moral attitude, and one that I embrace, but I also have to acknowledge that there are such things as "losers" in the world - people who have problems beyond the scope of my ability to help them. Or deal with them. There is a legitimate concept that some management professionals have called "knowing when to fire your customers." In other words, you can't take the generally admirable concept of "the customer is always right" to it's most absurd extreme: suffering the most foolish of fools. The problem with the guy who placed the rude ad is that he he seemed to PRESUME that a large part of the people reading his ads were losers or fools. The point of my comment was that I appreciate his frustration but I personally don't approve of his tactic.
  21. Sidenote: I bought a couple crush ring assortment packs off ebay.
  22. I ran into a problem with the Rolls-Royce, that the original brass washers under the bayonet fittings were a touch thicker than the reproductions and on that car the minuscule height difference caused an alignment issues and such allowed for a vacuum leak. Also, if running a paper gasket under the lid, that will not work (needs to be a gasoline resistant cork). With it running, get out the soapy water and paint brush to test all the fittings (every fitting all the way to the gasoline tank).
  23. Thanks John, I wonder though if there isn't supposed to be covers, like furniture plugs or similar to cover the bolt heads?
  24. By George, I think he's got it! Fill the tank every Sunday evening or after 200 miles. Always calculate cost at cents per mile. I have been doing those two things for quite a few years now and they are a good mind conditioner. Of course when you think you might want something that gets better fuel mileage you try out some tin cracker box, figure out the difference in cents per mile, and say "Nah, no way I'm giving up what I have for a few cents a mile".
  1. Load more activity