All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Nothing there is Stutz! That is the Clark Car. I remember it from the owners garage, his last name was Clark and he built it from various parts. I had always wandered what happened to that car. As I remember it had a Mack truck radiator shell, Cadillac engine, Model A fender and who knows what else. I believe it was registered and titled as the Clark Car. I will forward this thread to my friend that lived there and dated his grand daughter. C CLARK R Alex D.
  3. The poll appears to be missing one of the important sources that has been around for much longer than eBay and/or interweb, i.e. trusted, long-standing independent “brick & mortar” and/or “mail-/phone-order” vintage parts businesses focused on quality items, although in past couple of decades many have gone out of business or had to change their “modus operandi” due to continually increasing demand of cheap and cheaply made parts/supplies by ever increasing groups of wannabe enthusiasts/hobbyist who seem to prefer not spending any serious money on their supposed(?!?) “pride & joy”, yet expect to “make a profit” when selling that cheaply built/maintained crap after its newness wears off, peers quit complimenting them about it and local shows stop giving trophies or other useless nic-nacs just for showing up with it. For past four decades I have been buying vast majority of needed parts, supplies, equipment/tools or services mainly from aforementioned type suppliers and will continue to support them until they stop providing quality parts and services. Even with my (very) limited means, I’ve always despised and stayed clear of just about anything “cheap”, especially all Chi**se junk, be they equipment/tools, parts or supplies, that has littered this hobby in past 2-3 decades and somehow became acceptable(?) standard.
  4. What model series is the chassis? AA, BB, M, MA, MB, LA, LAA? How much is still original Stutz powertrain?
  5. Only difference is that the cars I like/want/drive now are different from those I had then. At the same time I have come full circle. The only difference was that in the late '50s there was no American car with a DOHC-6, 4+OD tranny, and four wheel disk brakes. Now it is common. Must admit I do not understand 8, 9, and 10 gear transmissions with the very broad torque bands you get with VVT. Could someone explain ?
  6. While I am relatively new to Classic Car ownership, I have been a Forensic Accountant since 1991. As a result of over 25 years of experience, I wanted to share my opinion about purchasing car parts on this forum as well as other websites. Buyer Beware. There are many scam artists in many forms that will manipulate you to send them money. Don't fall victim to fraud. Here are my suggested to keep from getting ripped off: 1. The absolute best way to buy your part is to either go and pick it up yourself or have a friend pick it up in person. Recently, I agreed to spend $400 in airfare and flew across the country to buy $900 work of parts. I did it solely because I did not want to take any risk in the purchase. 2. I have also had people contact me from this site and asked me to go and inspect parts and cars. Another way to protect your assets and use this site to your advantage. Most people on this site and on it for the passion of automobile history and are here to help each other out. Take advantage of it. 3. Have the person post the item for a "Buy it now" price on Ebay. Even if you need to pay a small premium, it is worth the extra fee. Once posted, it is relatively easy for the seller to send you the link and you make the purchase immediately. By doing so, you are protected by Ebay's buyers protection program. 4. Make sure you get the buyers Name, Address, and phone number. Check on other social media sites to make sure they have an account like facebook, or linkedin. If you want to verify the person lives at a certain address, Private Message me and I can do a background check to verify the address and person. Also, look at (but do not completely trust) the reputation on this site. Warning - Do not rely solely on a phone call, email contact, this site contact and / or pictures. Pictures are easy to cut and paste. Throw away phones at Walmart are cheap and not easy to track. Do not count on authorities to help. Most of the transactions are across state lines. That means your State / Local government won't touch it and the feds do not have the resources to track down your $350.00 car part.
  7. 51 years and going strong. My wife is an organizer. When the restoration of our 32 Dodge Brothers gets out of control - parts and tools scattered everywhere - she arrives in the nick of time and helps clean up the mess. She and our youngest granddaughter (13) worked the starter petal when we started the rebuilt motor for the first time last year. She’s not particularly interested in the actual restoration process, but loves to travel searching for parts or looking at cars. We rode motorcycles for 20 years and she rode her Harley 6800 miles on one trip we took to the wrst coast. She’s always been a trouper. I couldn’t ask for a better partner.
  8. Thanks, The came from Long Island I wonder if the M744 is a marine pump?
  9. We just celebrated our 40th anniversary and returned last night from a 2 + week vacation. Great time but no car museums this time. My wife doesn't go into the shop very often, but if I ever need a hand she's 'right there'. On more than one occasion she's had to help bleed brakes, install a car part, or assist with a woodworking project. She doesn't like riding in the old cars or going to the car shows, but she supports my hobby 100%. We've traveled to many states to get car parts and we always add something on her list when on the trip. Latest car trip was to the Gilmore Car Museum in Michigan. A few years ago it was to the Louwman Museum in The Hague. The adventure continues......... My wife said the same thing Ron: "Don't leave me with all this stuff".
  10. We are somehow married to the same woman. Never goes into the shop, but I have leveraged her as the pedal operator when bleeding brakes. And have 3 hobby cars. So no complaints here. Mark
  11. I've got noises coming from it and a vibration right in the middle of the car that I cannot pin down, 34 years in the auto repair an painting industry an I have never had this problem , an the thought of having a more modern rear suspension is very appealing.
  12. I may have found a period answer to my magneto issues... except I don't know enough about electricity to sort it out. Here are two pages from a 1914 issue of Motor Age showing the wiring for a Bosch NU4 mag. The manual that came with the ZR4 - which is what I have - shows the same wiring diagram and specifically states that it can be wired with the "vibrating coil" for cars that do not have an electric starter. Everything is quite straight forward except I don't understand the coil. All the cols I'm familiar with have a third connection for the distributor so what is this one doing? Is it a big condenser? The magneto manual also says it works with either 6 or 12 volt systems.
  13. Y-JobFan

Wheels

How do you think these wheels would look on a Reatta - they are 16" "
  14. I guess it’s nice to be quoted, but isn’t the Riview copyrighted?
  15. Today
  16. I believe I have one for a car. Has a metal panel attached to the rear of the clamshell for mounting. I can probably cut this panel out as it's not needed for a truck side mount but hate to destroy it because it is so nice and someone may need it. Would prefer the truck specific mount for preservation sake. Figuring out how to use the forum so not sure if you've posted a picture or not? If can't find one for truck believe I could adapt.
  17. One of the links says they agreed to the sale to avoid having to pay storage fees for the cars as the investigation continues. The money from the sale of the autos will be placed into a trust to pay any possible fines. Seems to say they know they have been doing shady business practices.
  18. City: Wellington State: Ohio Price: $80shipped 6 volt , working bulb. 5" light , 4" bulb Gears good , switch is free Has a few pits and scars but it still shines. See photos for condition. Send a Private message with zip and questions Fair price at $67 plus $20 flat rate shipping in USA-NEW price -$80 shipped in USA USPMO or PayPal , buyer handles fees Thanks Roy
  19. Mars

1930 cf fuse size

How would I know if the clum is bad? Still trying to bypass the fuse. No lights or horn. Lost.
  20. I wonder with things changing in the market if your 50 is the exception or going to become the rule? Lots of neat old cars with no following coming on the market. Hell your 50 was on ebay and ran through more than once. It wasn't like you bought it from an obscure auction like that Auburn I'm interested in. Either way to a degree the 50 is a bit of an exception in it being a survivor and not just a family sedan like most. Still glad you bought it. I was agonizing over it, but would have cursed myself if i bought it as I would have found the perfect car for exactly 10G more than I now had at Hershey.
  21. Like a dog's smile as well!! 🙂
  22. Only drove 1076 miles this year in the Reatta...local car shows and cruise-ins. I put it in storage on October 3rd. Hope to do significant mileage next year as I intend to drive it to the BCA Nationals in Ohio along with local stuff.
  23. My wife helped in the past , did wood graning on my 32 chevy that was 40 plus years ago , 52 years of marriage , supports the hobby . we do Gliddens this was our 15 th plus other tours . Kings32
  1. Load more activity