All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. G'day Gary, Welcome to the land down-under. Enjoy your stay and safe driving on the right(left) side of the road.😀
  3. Chrysler Club site does not seem to have any Maxwell parts listed by club members. Further suggestions desired.
  4. If AJ is close on an estimate seems like a cool car. My Cunningham knowledge is limited, but its not far off from Model A money...
  5. trini

UPHOLSTERY MATERIAL

I think I will make a casting with plaster of paris and put the layers one by one with glue.
  6. I want a hidden hitch for my 1925 Buick so that I can carry a trunk and then remove it when not needed. I thought about using a Reese connector square hitch “looking down” , or perhaps one on either side of the frame since my gas tank is in the way. I likely will even go with 4 attachment points to the frame and then use Clevis pins to install or remove it. There is plenty of space under there if you can get clever with how to attach it. Hugh
  7. All great advice. I would only add network. Prepare a resume and look for restoration shops with fb pages. They may be more open to interacting with you. Ask about current projects, and how they source new staff. I suggest this because a lot of business of all types is initiated via social media. If the shop has a presence, someone is posting as part of their job. Interacting with you requires little effort. Be polite, and persistent but not a pest. If you establish any relationship you have positioned yourself above less committed job seekers. In other words, you want to be taken seriously. Try to establish relationships with anyone in the antique auto industry. A broker or parts vendor may know a shop in need of help. Then show up, smile and try as has been suggested! Good luck, if you want it bad enough, and are open to a move, you will get there!
  8. Supposedly runs well according to a post on Facebook.
  9. Dear Bob thank you very much indeed for the information. It helps me really much Best Regards Mario
  10. Authenticity is certainly not what the subject car is all about. Someone just did what he could with skill and resources at hand, and had to take liberties. The white car pictured here is a proper 1927 S. "Merely" a 36/220. The frontal pic is of a 1930 SS38/250. Subject car deviates in ways, regarding braking, for example, which would need research. The SS38/250 has had quite a number of "personal bling touches" inflicted on it, (where in the world did that grille come from ?). Most of you know of my familiarity with the original unrestored car going back almost 60 years. I wish I could see it one more time. That is not likely, but there might be a possibility of learning the story of this Australian ?. I wonder how much of the mechanicals have survived. Yes, I would like to know more about it. Also, I wonder if our library has the articles from which one page each is shown here. I believe I have a little research time on the clock. - Carl
  11. I don't ever plan on towing anything with my car, but I love what you shared. I have never seen this before. Thank you Sean.
  12. With regards to a car like a 1917 Maxwell just look at all the factors against parts making it to the present day. The car was already obsolete by the depression, the car was long obsolete by the WW2 scrap drives. Then came Korea and Vietnam scrap markets. It is in ways a wonder any cars / parts from the later teens other than the odd Model T Ford escaped the furnace. Greg in Canada
  13. Well you sold my Auburn. I'll give you a good deal. I'll swap you for this Auburn.
  14. Looks like it needs chrome work to some of it as well. Pilot rays are oxidized and worn, Lock rings are rusty as well. Gauge cluster and bezels all oxidized. It would be a fun one to get and tinker with while I drive. Maybe only worth 50G? Nothing mechanically looks fresh. Hopefully they do a bit of a write up. No info yet. Does it even run? When was it last actually driven? Thanks for posting the link.
  15. Very difficult to chrome plastic & costly also
  16. 8E45E

Cunningham

A touring, and a commercial chassis ambulance:
  17. It helps if you can enjoy the "hunt". The harder parts are to find, the more of a feeling of accomplishment when you find them. In the case of something like a Maxwell I would try to chase down and get to know as many early Maxwell owners as you can.
  18. Today
  19. I wonder what a realistic number is on this car is. Looking close at the pictures, much of the white paint is failing badly, mainly on the body. I can't tell about the fenders. Doesn't look like it was driven much by the condition of the inside of the fenders. I didn't see much in the way of stone chips. I would expect to see more chips and wear. That can be good or bad. I would assume it should get a new set of tires as well. Not crazy about the white paint but since it needs to be redone, that would allow one to paint it their choice but a paint job on this has got to be a minimum of 10 grand for a strip and respray with the owner doing alot of the work. Seeing the one at Auburn in more attractive colors with better paint went for 80g? is this a 60G car or a 70 G car? Interior looks like incorrect material to me. Is it Leather or Vinyl? I don't think it should have a metallic Sheen to it. Maybe it was restored in the 60's? Bidding says it's only open for 1 minute on one day. I'm guessing that's a glitch. I'm getting ready to sell my Cord and this might just work out depending on the final number. Any experts out there want to give me an education on this one?
  20. Small update... I've been practicing welding again. It has been quite some time since I last did any and I thought I'd get some practice in. Got off to a rough start as both regulators wouldn't hold pressure so I had to drive across a few towns (3 hours round trip) to get them rebuilt. There is a fantastic company, Regulator and Torch Exchange, that will rebuild your regulators while you wait. Really great guys. I went ahead and changed hoses, got new goggles, etc, etc. I'm more comfortable with the setup now and the practice has gone well. The owner suggested changing the spring in the oxygen regulator to allow finer control over lower pressures and I think that's helped a lot. I need to get some thinner (1/16") rod in as well as I'm struggling to keep the filler rod molten with the lower heat level needed to keep from blowing a hole in the sheet metal (20ga). Looks like it will be mid next week before that comes in so I'll have to find other things to do.
  21. The firestones fit inside the Franklin factory accessor Lyon covers fine. And while it's a snug fit, the covers and wheels fit down into the wells. The problem is finding a set of those covers. Paul
  22. Yes but I have had one, time for something different. My wife should be happy I only change up my cars every so often, not my women.
  23. There's this up at the front, says GM4 513794, and there's also A18 1 in front of the thermostat. Rear has nothing Can just about make out the A8UH there in the block stamping. Phil
  24. Not so autonut, I to have been restoring a 1936 Dodge sedan and have had 3 cars to build one. I have helped many folks with parts and info over the past several years and meant no insult to you. When ever someone puts out a request for '36 Dodge info or parts, or any year or make, it draws the interest of several members so any post or inquiry is really directed to all viewers of this forum. It's just frustrating when one spends time doing research, looking up part numbers, making copies or digging for parts to help and one doesn't get any response afterwards. i was really just commenting to Pete whom I know personally and have followed his progress.
  25. Special Model 41. Fewer vents and the fender reaches almost to the door. Large series cars are easy to spot because there are about six inches of flat metal between the fender curve and the front door.
  26. Yes, since my post I've found that finding parts is a big negative for these cars. This particular version of the Flaminia - the notchback coupe - is (apparently) considered the least attractive of the Flaminias of this era, and I still think it looks fantastic. A PininFarina design, so there you go. One just like it sold for $32,000 on Bring a Trailer in August, so I may have been right about it being a good deal. The four door version is fairly awkward looking, though. The two seater is probably the coolest looking:
  1. Load more activity