All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I am proud to say that I have owned 5 cars in my life and still own 4 of them. 82 VW Jetta (sold at 25 years with 350,000), 92 Dodge W250 Le (1st generation cummings). 96 VW Passat TDI variant, 98 VW Jetta TDI and a 1922 Chandler Royal Dispatch.
  3. I expect the " Flying " is just Standards sales Dept.'s attempt to link their somewhat sporting car with the glamour that aircraft had in the 1930's in the U.K. Anything aircraft or flying lifestyle related in this period was extremely fashionable.
  4. The truck is a 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton with a 7,300 LB GVW. The half tons were the 1100 Series. The fellow that found & bought the truck from the estate said it was stored inside a very large steel barn that was almost full with a 6ft wide path down the middle. He noticed the tail gate hanging on the wall and thought there had to be an International pickup in there somewhere which he found in the very rear of the barn. Next to the truck was a very nice Bell 10-1/2ft camper that still had plastic covering the upholstery and the knobs on the cabinets. Everything inside the barn was covered in a thick layer of dust. The attached pictures show the truck when it was found. Notice the belly bar for securing the camper and the extendable rear bumper.
  5. This body style Skylark is my favorite. Would love one of these in a Gran Sport version. A '66 Gran Sport would be ok as well; I just like the Nailheads in the Gran Sport Skylarks.
  6. Walt: That is the shade of Cobalt Blue that is to be on my 1925-45 Touring car. Someday maybe......I had asked Jessy for the formula for years but not yet. Out in the sun it appears much lighter. The restoration plan on this Model 40 was to do the stripped and varnished spokes. All these cars came with painted spokes done in body color. This is all I have done so far. Also the factory catalog images show all the cars with the double whitewalls. Pushing the new Balloon tires in their sales imaging. Basicly all the images below are the same as 1924 catalog illustrations with a bit of touch up on the wheels/tires. Cars that were originally black in 1924 stayed black in the 1925 catalog. Early 1925 production cars stayed black and then when production switched to DUCO the Master Touring went to cobalt blue and the standard touring to brewster Green. The model 49 was to be a darker Limosine Blue.
  7. It sounds like you have experienced "rotor slip" in the distributor. Most Delco starter/generaters from this era are a combined unit mounted at the back of the engine and driven by a jack shaft from the front of the engine with a coupling in the middle somewhere. Its likely similar to the one on my '14 Hudson 6-40. I have had similar issues happen on occasion when the came the distributor rotor is mounted on started to slip. This may sound odd, but it can be a problem with these units that you won't find on more modern separate direct drive distributors. The rotor cam is mounted loose on the rotor shaft and is held in the right place by an internal lock that is similar to that used on bicycle handlebars to hold them in their mounting tube. If you take the rotor off the came you should see a screw head inside. This screw turns a clamp fixture in the rotor shaft to hold the rotor cam in the correct position. It can work loose and then the rotor cam will shift position and lose the correct timing relation to the cylinders. The coil and spark can still work, but the timing of the spark can be way off. I would recommend checking the spark timing and adjust if needed. The owner's book should describe how to go about it. If not, here are some pages from Dykes manuals c '18-'20 to try to help better describe the process. The pages may come up out of order, but hopefully you can follow through them. Good luck.
  8. Yes....it looks like it is on backwards.
  9. A worthy reason to hold your fire on memorabilia.
  10. What if you were to loosen the allen screws and remove the knobs? Might there be a number on the back of the knobs, or down in the rim of the housing that the knobs are hiding?
  11. Frank, thanks for your help rekeying all my locks. I had one more lock to change and tried calling around where I live. Still trying to see if anyone local can help before I bug you again.
  12. Ahh a reminder I best hold my money. Talking to a guy from TX about shiny Packard door handles and things like wiper towers and related. I owe him something for a carburetor heat shield as well... 🤔😊👍
  13. See below for correct application. They are readily available. It calls for a special socket as shown. Do as 60FlatTop shows and while the unit is out check your pressure at hot idle. If you're engine runs quiet you have enough oil pressure. If you didn't have enough oil pressure it would let you know 👍 Look long and deep enough you can always find a problem.
  14. Looks like somebody did some work on this already. Price seems pretty good. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/760703762835173/
  15. I think it deserves a full state of the art no expense spared show restoration.
  16. Comparisons at the time for my 1937 Buick special as an example. There was also similar comparisons to Studebaker, Dodge, Nash and the Lincoln Zepher.
  17. I think a "1200" would be a half-ton model, but I'm no IH expert! That said, a half-ton IH would probably tackle many 3/4-ton tasks without complaint. A nice truck and crew cabs were rare then; 99% were bought by highway departments or other government agencies or contractors for carrying work crews. Whoever originally bought this must have felt that he needed the truck box and a Travelall just wouldn't do...
  18. Assuming they can be a bit flexible on the price, this looks like a reasonable project. https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/genoa-1941-pontiac-dr-sedan-silverstreak/7740352208.html Not Running Good Restoration Project Complete car, 6 cylinder all chrome Things that have been done: carburetor Radiator Generator fuel pump plugs wires coil points, rotor Things needed Clean fuel tank clean carburetor master cylinder timing Extra parts 2 carburetors 1 new fuel pump tune up parts 35 years in the garage Please call Bob at 775-267-2884
  19. The letter(s) after the rim diameter and width specify the style and height of the outer rim edge. Might find a tutorial/explanation in Wikipedia? NTX5467
  20. Hi, this is my car, planned to post it on here but didnt get around to it yet. Long time member here but infrequent poster. Definitely a wordy ad but that is actually the edited down version! I bought the car when I was single, enjoyed it for years, but now have kids and five vehicles 1955 and older. One of the cars needs to go as I have run out of space and time and have a 1934 Buick currently in pieces and need room to work. As mentioned in the ad, I have driven this car over 3,000 miles but most of that was pre-2019. I put a lot of time, energy and money into it after I bought it in 2006, but the last five years I have averaged about 50 miles a year and deferred too much maintenance and it deserves better. It runs pretty well but does need some attention, most of which could probably be addressed by a competent mechanic in a weekend or two. I believe the wiring harness was replaced at some point by the prior owner as it doesnt look 83 years old. The voltage regulator is definitely newer. I can provide a lot more photos and info if anyone is interested. Andrew_Latvia, I replied to your e-mail via Craigslist but let me know if you didnt receive it.
  21. Where (general area) is the car located? I agree that pulling it out onto a driveway, making it roll and cleaning-out any trash will help make it salable.
  1. Load more activity