All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ttt...........................................................
  3. National First Prize winner
  4. About 8 years ago, I took my brother with me to look at a 1988 Covette Roadster. Maroon with a new tan top and new tires, 58,000 miles, a one owner golf course garage kept and pampered car. $8,000. Drove like a truck to me, so my brother bought it. He spent a fortune on the electronics in the dash an sold it for $6500 a year later. We were both disappointed in comparing it to our former 57 & 58 Corvettes. Was higher tech but a lot lower fun value.
  5. I had an upholstery shop recover one for me in the correct vinyl. I cut away the curled parts of the old hard plastic/vinyl and filled in with minimally expanding foam (aerosol insulating stuff from Home Depot) carved and sanded everything smooth and the upholstery shop recovered it. Watching what they did, I wouldn't be afraid to get some 3M upholstery adhesive and do it myself. Some gentle heat and pull and stretch it into place. My next thought for my 64 is to put a double French seam right along the leading edge of the cover with a slightly different shade of thread. The downloaded picture has too much contrast but you'll get the idea.
  6. Finally got the car going again. It was probably flooded. I don't know why it was so unhappy this morning, but this is the second time this has happened and both times it has happened the morning after a long, fast drive. I don't know what the mechanism is that causes it. After a certain point, the chokes were working against me (remember, I have two of them) but I was out of battery power to make it crank any longer. I quickly grew weary of well-intentioned advice and a gathering crowd all telling me things I already knew or explaining that I didn't know what I was doing, but fortunately everyone left at about the same time and I was finally alone. Melanie went and rented a Tahoe then bought another battery and some jumper cables (because nobody stocks the long battery the Buick needs, we had to use the spare as a jump). Unfortunately, the crappy parts store jumper cables were not up to the task of conveying six volts, so they melted instead of turning the starter. I drove to two other auto parts stores until I found some heavy-duty ones. I gave the melted ones back to the guy at Autozone who told me I connected them wrong and that's why they melted. I didn't argue because I was homicidal at that point and someone surely would have gotten hurt. Note that you can punch through the metal side of an Autozone trash can if you're angry enough. The edges are razor sharp, so expect to bleed on the way out. Of course, in their infinite wisdom, the Buick engineers made the hood open from the side so I could not simultaneously connect the batteries and operate the chokes on the carbs. We removed the hood instead. With Melanie cranking with her foot on the floor and me holding the chokes open, it finally fired. Ran like crap for a minute or two, then smoothed out and acted like nothing happened. Oil pressure was WAY down, like 5 PSI at idle and less than 20 PSI at speed so I figure a LOT of gas got washed down there and thinned it out. We made it to lunch and back again, but then I went back to the auto parts store and bought $100 worth of oil, a drain pan, and a crescent wrench (what, carry tools? In this car? Why would this car need tools?) and changed the oil in the parking lot. The Rotella was OK I guess but I went with 20W50 Castrol this time. It drove fine after that, even on the highway and even with hot starts. Any time we were driving, the ammeter was pegged and probably will be most of the way home tomorrow as it recharges the dead battery. At least it is back to starting and running correctly now and oil pressure is back to normal (45 PSI at speed and 20 PSI at hot idle). This pushes me ever closer to giving up on old cars. I can't handle this kind of heartbreak over and over. I can't invest this much time, money, and effort only to get kicked in the nuts every time. My father was probably right, as he usually is. Don't go far from home, don't spend more than you can afford to throw away, and get out when they start to make you miserable. I'm pretty miserable. Being bi-polar means I'm miserable a lot, but these cars are like anchors that pull me so deep that I sometimes feel like I won't be able to get back up. I'm starting to think that ALL old cars are crap. I can't have spent the last 10 years finding the only 1500 shitty ones. This is too hard on me and when I'm upset about a car, I'm a terrible husband and father. I love my family more than I love old cars, so I think they may have to go. I can't do this much longer.
  7. agreed- these are starting to get very pricey.......................
  8. Telriv, So would that be a fuel injector rubber fuel line? Art
  9. There’s a picture of the dash knob I’m looking for,
  10. just paint the fenders and aprons black and the car will look better and better.
  11. You don't have anything else to do. Get off your LZ butt and make a contribution to something. 😎😁
  12. IMHO, the best thing to do with either mirror on the passenger's door is to match its location to the driver's side mirror and put a full sized convex mirror on it. You can use them for backing but the big advantage is that wide angle that eliminates the blind spot where the right side sail panel is.
  13. "INTERNAL FIRE'' by Lyle Cummins is the best engine history book. Worth a read. It should be in your library.
  14. If you have an air compressor with large enough capacity to run air tools, get a small air saw. The blade length and stroke length will keep yo out of big trouble. This one is $20 @ Harbor Freight.
  15. The weep hole is at the right of the two jet type screws visible at the bottom. Watching from underneath, it looks to come from there and wick down off those bolts. The weep hole is just a hole behind the choke and doesn’t look to go internally.
  16. I found these in a box of parts that I picked up at an auction sale a few years ago. My guess is that they cover the spokes of a regular 3 spoke wheel to make it look like a banjo wheel but truthfully I have no idea. I trust someone out there will have seen these before. There's a single bar clamp on the back side of each that you can kind of see poking out the side of the last one on the right. They are about 5 to 6 inches long. Any idea of vintage or use? Thanks in advance for your knowledge, Don
  17. I have a 1919 Olds truck that seems to run decent but once shut off, weeps fuel out the bottom. It was pouring out but once we cleaned the lower end that stopped. It’s a very simple needle/float system and it seems to be seated. I think it’s an updraft carb so is this normal that on shutdown it would weep some? Starts easy and unless it’s evaporating quickly, I don’t see any weep when running, only once off.
  18. It was copied from a car that was done incorrectly years before...(1950's).......strange situation that was understandable in a one off application.............fortunately we knew what the factory wanted on a standard application car..............deciding to tear it apart to test it was not an easy call. Working on 100 year old cars means you can trust NOTHING........you must prove every system and component to make them run as new. With one off's and prototype cars you can get into strange situations. In the end it was a straight forward and easy fix.......the time it took to get it all done was the worse part of the job.
  19. Bingo. After the penetrating oil failed to do the job, I was able to move the rubber bumper enough to expose the bolt threads. Reciprocating blade might light work of it. Thanks Ed!
  20. Cummins ran five different diesel powered cars at Indy, the last in 1952. They were recently all at the Speedway. Here's a good article on the race cars.
  21. Correct, not for working underneath, though work well to prevent flat spots. I usually see them accompanying brass era car and carriages (solid rubber tire vehicles).
  22. Rudolph Diesel came up with the idea and built the first diesel engine but Clessie Cummins is the man who perfected it . Most early diesels in the US were from Cummins in some way shape or form . . Still building them today !
  1. Load more activity