All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. The taillights are 68/69 but only the 1969 cars had the two-way tailgate.
  3. This could be a hella cool wagon. $7950 may be optimistic but we must remember that what a Southern Californian thinks is rusty may be a really solid car. The most rust I see in phone-sized pics is in the tailgate, possibly in RF fender. Wonder if he has the missing RF fender trim? There are 56 and 63 Chevrolets in the background so that tells me these are car people, not just some opportunist who dragged the Plymouth out of a field and thinks they'll get auction pricing for it.
  4. This was posted on the local “looking back” Facebook page about a different subject. What is the make/year of car in the picture?
  5. @Terry Harper Thanks for sharing! It’s really neat to see and hear a steam locomotive. Like a real life fire breathing monster. The only one operable from our transportation museum is the 611 which last I recall was on loan to a different facility. It’s occasionally taken on excursions. Impressive machines
  6. Ozstatman…Yes, those wheel covers are an extra-cost option for ‘36 and ‘37 Presidents. Unlike the smaller hubcaps that have a brass skin over a steel base, these are stamped, chromed steel with the word “President” . These wheel covers are getting hard to come by. Tom
  7. Or maybe I should try putting the top strut on the back of the flange for a better fit? I would try that. The way it is looks wrong. Flip it around and put it on the back of the flange making sure the side that has the marking of the bolt head faces towards the firewall
  8. Very nicely styled car. Most will say its a parts car at best. I dont know the production number of these but I am sure its much lower than a 57 chevy. Saying its a parts car is also saying there are others out there that are restoring one of these. I doubt that is a hot market right now. Like mentioned sitting in the ground I would hate to think what the bottom of this one looks like. I think a 2500. price would get it moving to the right person.
  9. Maybe this is the correct one!! Appears you can also use this one on your face besides your water pump. Nude Tallow Cream - Natural Unscented Face and Body Moisturizer for Soft, Smooth, Hydrated Skin - Made with Certified Organic Grass-Fed/Finished Canadian Beef Tallow - Ideal for Sensitive Skin, by Lipidology, 60 ml (2 oz) : Amazon.ca: Beauty & Personal Care Keep one in your garage and an emergency backup in your medicine cabinet!! Craig
  10. Acme said that they don't have the equipment to make bevel gears. That's what I'm finding from a lot of these places.
  11. Now we have a VSCC event on this coming Sunday, not a long drive but at least we can get out in the car and enjoy a morning's proper motoring! Bj.
  12. Less exiting work to be done, still drudging along slow but sure. Sorting out emergency brake location, toe board and steering coulomb support structure has been a bit of a struggle. With the body set on the chassis temporarily to verify some dimensions I found my left foot didn't fit very well. With the low steering coulomb angle and my desire to keep the e-brake lever inside the body panel I had to get creative to allow space for my size 12 foot in the clutch pedal area. I think I'm good, some drilling and tapping, then a couple of brackets to fab, upholstery tacking strips to think about and the body will finally be ready to skin.
  13. That exactly describes my usage—for my own amusement. Drive back roads and enjoy. I would only attend a local car show in it because it’s local. Just walk around a bit and see what other early cars show up. While the tours seem neat in that, again, you can see what other early automobiles are out there, they are too distant, they require a great expenditure of time and money, and, admittedly, to drive for several days is not of interest to me. I drive to the beach a few times a year because my wife and I enjoy that. It’s 162 miles. The time it takes to drive that is about as much as I wish to drive at any given time. I realize that a brass era automobile would cover less distance in the same amount of time, but it’s the time driving that’s a factor. I have never been a fan of long drives with regards to time and distance and longer trips usually result in a headache.
  14. So, I have similar piece, apparently made by the same manufacturer. Notice the glass, it is not smooth. I have one original and one that I had restored by a member in Ohio who specializes in signs, clocks, etc. It was not cheap but thankfully I don't care as I have owned it for years and enjoy it.
  15. If you don't have the ability to get to national tours, regional groups are here too! Find your own region close to home, or some other members near you. In the Finger Lakes region, we run 1 and 2 day tours on weekends, in various parts of New York State. Drive your car!
  16. Thanks Bob, and Kudos to your grandfather - wonderful legacy! N&W built some fantastic locomotives in-house! The original 1907 boiler was lap seamed which condemned it. We still have it on-site as an exhibit. The current boiler was made new in 2014. (welded with fake rivets)Boilers of this size are not cheap! We have another Lombard in the collection dating from 1914 that has its original boiler - this one is butt-seamed. However, it hasn't been under steam for over 20 years. We are in the process of evaluating its condition. Our next step is stripping the boiler of all fittings, removing the saddle tank, gridding-off the boiler and firebox sheets and doing a comprehensive thickness survey using ultrasound equipment. Then making a determination from there. A new boiler will run upwards of 75K. Unfortunately that still won't get us on the show field at Pebble. (LOL) This particular Lombard was used on logging operations as late as 1948. Not bad for a machine costing $5,500.00 (FOB) in 1914! Here is a photo of it that appeared in an issue of "Life Magazine" in the 1940's. It was recovered from a site near Fish Lake circa 1956 and eventually restored to operating condition by the late Harry Crooker. Note the steam driven electric turbine from a locomotive mounted in front of the cab. No need to worry about 6 to 12 volt conversion!
  17. Today
  18. Old Tanks rear seal method worked great for me. If there were only such a fix for a drippy Dynaflow.
  19. And he thinks it is 32 feet long! Sorry, couldn't resist. (An abbreviation of a year, the apostrophe goes BEFORE the number!)
  20. Walked out into my garage and found this generic battery smoking in the charger. I will never buy another generic battery. Its not worth taking a chance of burning down the garage or house.
  21. It's a little known fact......George Washington was the original owner of the Tucker Convertible. Or was it George Washington Carver? Anyways......one of them is true. Unless you decide to invent a new story. With AI, we will soon see a video of some long dead celebrity driving the car around NYC in the late 40's.
  22. A quick compression test if you do not have the tools is to remove all the spark plugs to allow it to turn over easy. Find a screwdriver with a round handle end that covers the plug hole but does not wedge into the threaded area ( this is important so not to shoot the screwdriver like a spear). Hold the shaft of the screwdriver keeping the handle end covering the plug hole while another person cranks the engine. If it has compression it will forcibly pop the handle end off the plug hole.. If valves are stuck open the handle will stay in place.
  1. Load more activity