All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I am no longer in the strap biz, which is now in the hands of member John Strawway. He has the stock of the latest production run. Contact him thru his info on the HHFC website or your Membership Roster. Gordon
  3. And while we are at it, if upgrading to a higher amp alternator, and updating/upgrading the charging system wiring, is there any reason to keep the external voltage regulator in place instead of using the internal on that comes in a new alternator?
  4. AND, the '64 is faster than all of them because it's slightly lighter!!!
  5. Well, oops then. I thought that was OK for Pre computer controlled vehicles.
  6. As any T Type owner knows, these are getting very hard to find. $50 is a great price and worth stashing away as a spare Mark
  7. I've been reading about using antifreeze to stop wood shrinkage. Apparently it will soak right into the actual cells of the wood and dries and once done the wood will not shrink. It stops the cracking, checking and warping of wood and it works on green wood. The idea comes from wood lathing of bowls etc. to stop them from cracking and using a very wide plank as a table top or similar. I expect it will have great success on new wooden spoke wheels too. I haven't found any information of how it will work on dry wood. Antifreeze is also a great wood preservative especially if mixed with water that has dissolved Borax. I am presently testing antifreeze on a scrap of kiln dried spruce 2x4 for a project I'm doing. First I measured the width and thickness of the 2x4 to the thousands of an inch using calipers and six days ago I started by submersing the 2x4 into minus 40 degree antifreeze/water solution. Unlike soaking with water the 2x4 had minimal expansion of just 2-3 thousands of an inch after 6 days. I expected the wood to swell a lot but it has remained pretty must is stable. If I had a dried out wooden spoke wheel I would experiment by remove all the paint/varnish product and then submerse the wheel in water until everything tightens up. Then submerse it in antifreeze to see if it stops the shrinking. Wouldn't this be an amazing fix if successful? You can Google the antifreeze method to stabilize wood.
  8. That tag is ALSO the sealing washer. I'm looking for a fill plug for a Posi IF someone happens to have one laying around they would be willing to part with. Tom T.
  9. For some reason, I couldn't get Steve's link to work this morning, although it seems to be working fine now.
  10. Good thing you ordered that newer Alternator because by removing the battery cable while the car is running you probably blew out a couple diodes/capacitors in the old alt. Removing a battery cable to test A GENERATOR is OK, NOT an ALT. Tom T.
  11. Don is correct, I believe. The circuit Matt is referring to is the one from the generator. This is a grounding circuit for the starter relay . Grounds the relay so it can operate when power is applied at starting. Opens, ungrounding relay ,thereby preventing the relay operating, when generator begins to charge. Ben
  12. This is just my WAG - Ford Falcon possibly, just going by the bird and the crown. The outside edge looks similar to some 67 Ford ones but nothing more that a guess here.
  13. Looks to have had some paint work on the drvs side front fender, but do not know that for a fact.
  14. Back in the day the rear gear oil was made from Whale oil & it STUNK!!! Usually no need to change it UNLESS you see metal in the oil. To properly drain & clean the rear diff. you need to remove the 3rd. member/pumpkin. Something easier to do is pull an axle & wipe the oil off with your hand & look for shiny metallic flakes in the bright sunlight. IF you can't see any shiny flakes re-install the axle & drive your car & enjoy it. Just for the heck of it IF your looking for something to do you could replace the inner axle seals BEFORE they go bad AND they WILL BEFORE you notice any axle fluid leaking. IF it does leak fluid now you have to AT LEAST replace the oil soaked rear shoes. Tom T.
  15. I have retired from supplying these and they are now available from HHFC member John Strawway. The latest production is of excellent quality.
  16. That's the guy who said a hen weighs about 3 pounds.
  17. Shame they hoarded it so long in what looks like less than ideal conditions. Even as cool as it is, I doubt it will get restored as it might have years ago. Real shame is that's a style I like and it's in my back yard.
  18. Andrew, yes I have several of those REMY caps, choice of either black or brown. You may contact me at tsvanmeet@gmail.com or 402-359-5762 Tom
  19. Craig, The H2 option steering box is approx. 3 + a little turns lock-lock. The steering boxes I sell are 2 1/2 turns lock-lock. Much more responsive & more positive steering in ALL situations. Just did one on a '65 Riv. GS that had the H2 option & the owner says it was a VAST improvement over the original. He also felt his coil springs were sagging. I told him I don't think so. So we measured the car on a drive on lift & measured each in the middle of the tire to the wheel opening molding & put a line on the molding with a magic marker for all four sides of the car & ALSO wrote them down. He ordered springs from Coil Spring Specialties. I installed them at his garage. Took the car for a 25 mile ride. Pulled the car back onto the lift in the same spot & measured again. It actually sat approx. 1" lower than with the old original springs with 52K miles on them. He then said " I should have listened to you & installed the coil spring spacers you recommended". I told him I could install the old springs to which he said NO, BUT we MAY now put those spacers in to bring the ride height up a little higher. Tom T.
  20. Ethanol binds water to gasoline, either water it picks up from the air, or water the oil companies allow in gas, knowing they can get away with it since the gas is 10% booze and will dissolve the water. Here is how to get the water and hooch out of the gasohol: 1. Buy a 5 gallon bottle at the homebrew supply store, along with about 5 feet of vinyl tube and 3 foot plastic racking stick. 2. Put 4 gallons of gas in the bottle and a gallon of water. Shake it all around. 3. After they separate out in a few minutes, there will be 1.4 gallons of water/alcohol mixture at the bottom and 3.6 gallons of pure gasoline at the top. 4. Syphon the 1.4 gallons of rot-gut out of the bottom and the rest is pure gasoline.
  21. Thanks for the information everyone. I know I want something prewar. While my ultimate goal is an early 30's full classic, the funds won't be there for a while, and realistically it won't be as reliable or capable as a driver as an early 40's car. Really, my main debate right now it whether I want a 1941 Buick or a 1939-1941 Cadillac (60 special or 62). I like the uniqueness of the inline 8, and the extra power, though I know the Cadillac's are excellent cars for long distance cruising. Such a hard choice with no real wrong way to go!
  22. Next time you start your car, stick a DC amp clamp meter over the starter cable, you will be surprised how little the starter needs regardless of 12v or 6v, especially a well tuned engine. Amps drawn is very similar regardless if its 6v or 12v.
  23. I think you pretty much would need to change the ring and pinion. Not sure if a 1937-60 will work in a 1939-40.
  1. Load more activity