All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I will check if mine are Carters...they may be Quadrajets
  3. After sitting for more than two or three weeks, Melanie's Chrysler station wagon always smokes for the first 50 miles or so, then it's fine. I stopped worrying about it. Some driving will limber things up and get it all sealed up again. I'm sure it's not related to anything you've done in the valve area beyond some oil getting in where it shouldn't be and needs time to burn off. It's easy to try to second-guess the 1941 engineers and I often see cars in my inventory where someone has "modified" an old car with varying results--usually failure. If the engineers decided that the flapper was necessary, well, I'm going to consider it necessary. The one on my '41 Limited was stuck closed, probably since I've owned it, and I only just noticed that when I took it apart to do my exhaust upgrade. That probably meant my rear carb was never really doing any work, despite the fact that my car is seriously fast. Your car, without any plates, is pulling vacuum through the rear carb all the time. It may or may not have an idle circuit, but even if it does, it's not like the front carb and it's far less precise. The rear carb is designed for all-or-nothing work. Without the blades in that flapper, there's gas flowing through it all the time, but it's unmetered because the throttle plates are closed. It's like the choke is stuck in the on position (if the rear carb had a choke). I'm still putting my money on that missing flapper being the source of your rich rear cylinders. Do we know for certain that it was running great or is that just what the previous owner is saying? Despite his pedigree as a caretaker at the Nethercutt, does he know what "running right" is with that car? I have so many cars come through my shop where the owner thinks it's running great and then I get in and realize that the idle is wrong, it has a stumble, and two exhaust leaks. What one guy thinks is good isn't necessary "right." I've learned that a vast majority of people, even experienced people in the hobby, settle for "good enough" because they simply don't know the difference. Not that this is the case here, but it's always possible that it ran good but not great and the previous owner just didn't recognize it because he had no other car to which it could be compared. I let a fellow 1929 Cadillac owner drive my car a few years ago and he was astounded by how smooth it was, how easily it pulled in high gear, and how smoothly the transmission shifted--he figured his car was typical but now he's tearing his hair out and spending a lot of money to make it work as well as mine. He didn't even know there was a problem with his car until he had something to which he could compare it.
  4. Well on a much smaller scale I know of a body shop that did just that. They were restoring a Packard Convertible and over a year of payments were delinquent. The body shop owner called the owner of the Packard and told him that unless he paid in 30 days, what was owed, from now on the Packard would be stored outside the shop. Two months went by, so outside the topless car went. It sat there for well over two years. The owner of the body shop passed away and no one knows what ever happened to the car, but by then it was a mess.
  5. Had a very nice visit with Howard and Irene Bergh this morning as they were passing through our area. It's always fun to meet a member of the forum and finally get to match a face with a name. Our place is always a welcome place for traveling old car folks. Stop by for some coffee or? Thanks for stopping by, Howard and Irene.
  6. ...and that's not a bad color. I found a really nice reproduction 1939 Century ad for sale on ebay in a dark maroon, also nice. I am a big fan of Sequoia Cream or similar Desert Yellows but not so much on this coupe. the beltline moulding helps on this car to accentuate the length. 126 is about perfect for a "normal" production coupe. I found it interesting to see that jump seat in the mess of the interior. So, I guess there was a jump seat or two back there. Seeing the rotted wood framing between the trunk and passenger compartment must really scare some folks but that wood is 80 years old or so. What I am worried about in addition to the missing exhaust manifold is the sill plates. I remember from the older cars I owned that these sill plates are a nice shiny stamping of soft metal. These I suppose are either long gone or as often I have seen - corroded on the lips or edge and unusable. I don't know where a person finds reproduction sill stampings.
  7. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/327192-collection-for-sale/? 1958 Edsel Pacer Has extra Transmission in trunk. $9,000.00 I have a collection of cars for sale from the owner located in upstate NY. This is the list. Please note that we are very open to offers. Send me an e-mail at kelly@classictag.net and I will send a Google file with pictures. These are brief descriptions.
  8. I think that we're all chasing rainbows until someone comes up with a parts book and parts numbers can be found on the covers. I'm going to do as Tom requested and take apart the the three bolt spinner that I have and see if the 64 center indexes into the spinner. If it does, the door will be opened once again. I thought that we had this pretty much resolved back in Aug of 2015.
  9. As the former owner of a 1974 Cadillac Miller Meteor hearse in college, I will say that there are few better ways to attract attention in a small college town. It was awesome at Halloween and for tailgating at football games (the slab would roll out so we had a 5-foot-long table). It was also huge inside so we bought a cheap couch and recliner, along with a coffee table whose legs we cut down about two inches, and had a mobile living room. With the chandelier-style lights on the sides of the blank side panels inside, it was actually fairly sumptuous and for road trips, my buddies claimed riding in the living room was awesome. Not so great in the winter since heat didn't get back there very well, but not awful. It just shrugged off anything we put in there, I seem to recall it had a 3/4-ton truck axle and springs under it. I don't remember needing extra heavy-duty tires, though--just standard 235/75/15 whitewall radials. It had a ferocious lifter tick in the 472, but otherwise seemed bulletproof reliable and I probably put 30,000 miles on it in two years of commuting back and forth to school for holidays. It could also carry six or seven people, so I'd charge $20/head for a ride home at Christmas or Thanksgiving, which at least paid for the gas (8 MPG at best). I think it probably had 4.10 gears, so it wasn't happy going much more than 60-65 but the ride was plenty comfortable and from the driver's seat it more or less felt like a Cadillac, although there was enough headroom for Abe Lincoln AND his hat. I recall that a fraternity brother was injured during a hockey game, so we threw him in the back of the hearse, turned on the flashing lights, and ran all the red lights to the hospital. When we came screeching into the parking lot, a sleepy-looking orderly wandered out and asked, "Dropping off or picking up?" THAT was funny. The downside is that it was impossible to sell when I was done with it two years later--who actually wants such a thing? I eventually just gave it to a guy I knew from high school who lost it when he accumulated too many parking tickets.
  10. Peter, the fitting Grege is talking about can be on top, under the valve cover, or on the side of the head. I have found it in either place. The passage is rather small, maybe .060. For what it is worth, I agree with some of the other folks. If it is not throwing a smoke screen and fouling the plugs, I would drive it a couple thousand miles. Should do no harm. Good luck. Ben
  11. As a young kid driver, a working radio was more important than a working heater. Go Wolfman Jack, Beach Boys and so many more! Yes we are getting old.
  12. I believe that "Cat's Eye" may have been a brand name. I had read once that these were outlawed in some places, but that's just second hand info which I wouldn't worry about. The story was that while the mirrors allowed you to see forward, it could confuse a driver and cause him to pull out while another car was actually overtaking him from the rear. I imagine that they could really disorienting when for some. I would never hesitate to mount one on my car, but I'd promise myself to never rely on it for anything! Maybe the best thing you could do is put some tape over one of the mirrors to keep it from actually functioning.
  13. The only car in that bunch worth more than $100,000 would have been the Testarossa, and it only just crossed that barrier recently. The rest are pretty 'meh' Ferraris at best. This sucks, but it's not like a Daytona or a 250 California was left to rot. These are mostly Ferrari's equivalents to an '80s Corvette. Sad, but not tragic.
  14. No head turners in the lot that I can see, so I can't muster any sympathy of either party. Must be in East Overshoe, a Ferrari pile in another part of the populated country would have sold of have been stripped by now. Bob
  15. I'm thinking of going to LEDs in the instruments. Who did you buy the LEDs from? What part number or equivalent bulb number did you order for the instrument lights? You said you chose amber color. Those look really yellow (orange) on the websites I have seen. How orange does it look in the car? Buick put a blue finish inside the instrument panel so that the yellow-ish bulbs combined with it to look green-ish in the dash. Perhaps the warm-white LEDs would mimic that? I'd like to replicate that. Perhaps use green LEDs? Too green?
  16. I am in no means trying to get into a pissing match with anyone. All I was trying to do was differentiate for John the differences in the Riviera spinners no more no less. It has been well established by many on this forum that the first 1963 Riviera wire wheel covers were taller than the Riviera wire wheel covers that came later. It has been also well established by many on this forum that the early 1963 Riviera Wire wheel covers were a 3 hole spinner and that the later Riviera wire wheel covers were 4 hole spinners. These facts I believe to be true and no one will convince me otherwise.The only part that is interchangeable between the early and later wheel covers is the center medallion. The tab on the later center medallions would have to be ground off to use on the early spinner though. Is it possible that someone put a 64-65 center medallion in a 3 hole spinner? It is possible. We all know that over the course of 50 years things get mixed and matched (or mismatched) on a regular basis. I do not know how the wire wheel covers for the other Buick models were configured or constructed. Were they the same as the Riviera wire wheel covers other than the center medallion or were they different in some regard? I don't know. I do know that there were wire wheel covers used on other Buick models other than the Riviera that were the same height as the later Riviera wire wheel covers and there were some shorter than the later Riviera wire wheel covers. See Pic. The cover on the left is an NOS later Riviera wheel cover and the one on the right an NOS Buick wire wheel cover with the Red, White and Blue center medallion used on other models. I bought it thinking it was one of the covers that was used on other models that was the same as the Riviera cover and discovered it was shorter. This cover could have accepted a Riviera center medallion. With that you get covers with 3 different heights used on Buicks but, only 2 of the those being used on the 63-65 Riviera. That's all I have to say about that. Bill
  17. Bryan, I've probably made a rush to judgement based on the setting, color, debris, etc. I think that I also felt a little guilt for sending you on a wild goose chase because I posted this lead in the first place. Your unclouded description is cause for optimism. Perhaps someone who is up to the task will step up. It would be a great, classy and speedy Buick and one that anyone would be proud to own when finished. Here's a Century coupe from Google note the goofy sun visor angle. That extra bit of wheelbase goes a long ways toward making this car quite elegant.
  18. I didn’t do anything with the surfaces as they were OK. i did have a problem with the front turn signals as they were a little bit to large.
  19. Or more to the point, if this is another pack rat type owner who can't even afford storage, let alone upkeep/resto, why not sell them to someone who can? I feel bad for the loss of the cars, but I don't have any sympathy for unrealistic hoarders.
  20. I really enjoy seeing these kind of historical display posters and photos and am going to continue my search to try and make my research finding as accurate as possible - no guessing. Love those "FLASH" poster and hope to find as many as I can, along with photos, for my project. Thanks David.
  21. YEP DON'T NEED LOUD MUSIC AT THE SHOWS AND MEETS! THE WORST EVER FOR ME WAS A SHOW AT A TECH SCHOOL, PEOPLES CHOICE JUDGING. Our AMC Club decided to make it a Club advent for a get together and had about 20 AMC Cars come. There were no Class, Year or Model requirements. The Schools Parking lot filled up with Low Riders, Tuners, Drift and Modern Vehicles with LOUD....REALLY LOUD SYSTEMS IN THEIR TRUNKS DOOR PANELS AND ANY WHERE THEY COULD INSTALL AMPS AND SPEAKERS. Our Club arrived early and we parked together. Then arriving late were New Trucks and Cars that parked directly behind us, back to back. They proceeded to fire up their systems to see who had the loudest. I packed up and left...no fled, to get out of there fearing for my hearing. I must be getting old.
  22. Where`s the heavy rubber pad or silly putty backing for the center? Looks to me like someone has been into this cover jacking around as evidenced by the missing/broken screws. Ed, take the cover apart and lets see if the center properly indexes into the spinner. I suspect someone was in there playing games, Tom Mooney
  23. Hey Doug, Great time yesterday! The eight plus hours in a car for the International Buick parts transfer was flawlessly a blast! It was a fun time traveling with you and just having Buick fun! Thanks for all your help and the fine conversation on our trip. It sure made the trip go a lot faster. Glad the BP was lenient with you (haha) and you made it back safe and sound. We will definitely have to get together again for another International Buick rad trip. Maybe next time, we will go to that place south of Detroit, Windsor! Thanks again my friend. It was a pleasure to have you as a traveling partner, rain and shine! Jim
  24. That is actually in very nice shape for its age and I would be surprised if a professional car collector doesn't snap it up. The full windows also make it more attractive for someone looking to convert it into a party or gag vehicle. Hearses seem to be either ridiculously under or overpriced, I have always had a guilty desire to own one but have never had the storage space for such giant vehicles. The older ones are also crazy heavy to the point that special running gear, wheels and tires are needed to safely drive them.
  25. Thank you, to all of you for your helpful information ! Hans
  1. Load more activity