All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Ted, Laura and I are still talking about the Oldsmobile. John
  3. Who wants a new car? We have three every day rides, a 1986 S-10 Pick up, 2.0 stick with nothing for options, a 2005 Ford Focus plain Jane with air, nothing else, and a 2005 GMC Crew Cab Dually Duramax with an Allison. Rather spend my money on cool old car junk.
  4. I am looking for a glovebox door trim. If I need to purchase the entire door I understand. This is for a 1932 90 series. Please see the stainless trim around this instrument cluster. This is what it should look like. Tony
  5. Steve, it feels good when you can find NOS parts. Stuff is still out there. What's neat is you never know what will show up. John
  6. I posted a link to a bunch of photos in a new thread
  7. Can you send picture of the 32 horn and trumpets? 31-32 Radiator Cap , 32 Instrument Panel Decals ,’32 Special Sedan Body No. Tag ,31-32 Tail Light Assemblies and 32 bezel. Tom
  8. When was the last car built with a ON OFF knob for the radio and another knob you turned to find a station you wanted? Even if I had the money, there is no desire to own a new vehicle. Bob
  9. All, I emailed Mobil 1 and got a nice reply already. I have been running the 15W-50, I think we have discussed this sometime in May of this year when I was new to the forum. Here's the email from Mobil 1; Art Art, Thank you for writing to us. For a pre-1980 era engine, one of our criteria is usually to focus on oils with 1000 parts per million of zinc or better, to take good care of a flat tappet camshaft. We've got several oils that fit this profile. One great option is our Mobil 1 0W-40 “European Car Formula.” This has a zinc content of 1100ppm, and will recoat your bearings a bit faster than a 5W-40 can at engine start up. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs#0W-40 If the engine is running a bit hotter, and can benefit from a 50, we have Mobil 1 15W-50, with a zinc content of 1300ppm. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1#15W-50 Finally, we have Mobil 1 5W-50 with a zinc content of 1100ppm. This oil can be hard to find on the shelf, though. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs#5W-50 I hope this helps. Thank you for choosing Mobil, Carol Mobil Help Desk Team If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil
  10. Requesting help putting a value on a friends 1958 Ford Fairlane club sedan. It was her Dad's car, has been sitting for four years and she would like to see it go to a person with interests in this make of car. The photo's were taken today at the service garage who has gone over it to get it running and make sure the brakes are in working order. The car will require some detailing like polishing out the slightly faded red paint and cleaning the chrome under the hood but without having looked underneath, appears to be in good overall condition. I'm not sure the V8 is a period correct Ford engine (not familiar with Ford products of this era) and not sure if the floor shift transmission is a three or four speed. Things like the custom grill, dummy spot lights and the seat upholstery suggest his ideas of "customising" but generally the car has that stock look and could be restored to stock if one so wanted. Putting it out there to help her get an idea from a group of car people and not the "good deal hunters" she has encountered so far. Any and all thoughts appreciated. (I have too many cars in my stable to take this one on but looks like a fun ride)
  11. Terry, that all looks straight and square and those three colors go well together. One critique I’ll offer is that those nice carriage lights would stand out better if they were about 16” off to the side of that door opening. You sign will look good up there. My first and second houses both had shake roofing. I really liked the look and still do. Interestingly, both roofs were destroyed by bad hail storms. On the last house, I replaced the shakes with asphalt shingles over new plywood sheeting. Just last week I was trying to recall the last shake or sawn shingle roof I’ve seen around these parts and I can’t think of one. It’s certainly an old style but perhaps most fitting for a world headquarters. thanks for sharing! -Joel
  12. Yesterday
  13. That's a pretty good idea! The reality for me is this...I have limited space and means. I will have to improvise a lot to complete this project in the manner that I want to. Good news is that my Wife and I are already talking about building a detatched garage. It won't be huge, but I will maximize it's use. Just got to be smart about how I design it. The existing garage that we have now won't do anymore. Quite frankly, I redid it too pretty. It looks more like an extension of our house instead of a work area. Now, my Wife gets a little upset with me when I bring in more car parts. My workspace has shrunk to one corner of the garage. So, pray for me. I have already talked to my Dad about possibly teaming up to build it. We shall see what happens. But please, any ideas are a big help in terms of making the best of limited space.
  14. Thanks, I think it went to a good home. I delivered it on Sunday on my way home
  15. What I say on the forum stays on the forum. And that's why I'll NEVER let my smart phone talk to my car........Bob
  16. I've owned 6 Corvettes over the years, all as daily drivers. I bought the first one, a red 78 model used. The other five were all brand new cars. The last two were Z06 models, and were really fast. ALL of them were really comfortable drivers (not so much for entering and exiting the car, but once inside, it was like driving an easy chair). The first new one was a 97, I think, and the last one was a 2002 or 2004. I loved them all, but every year seemed better than the previous one. The 78 didn't handle or ride anything like the newer cars, but in fairness it was used with 50-60,000 miles, if I recall. I drove them all every day, rain or shine, dry or snow. They were leased cars, and I knew I would be trading them in after 3 years. So while lots of other guys were parking them carefully away in their garages and trying to keep miles off of their odometers, I was DRIVING them all over the place. I miss those days. Great times! The photo below shows the one day that I had TWO Vettes at once. My new Z06 was delivered the day before my previous one was picked up. I couldn't resist a photo, and I spent the whole day driving first one, and then the other. LOL
  17. Facebook took all of the text from his pictures. Each picture had a description. I've got Dave's phone number as well. Ed
  18. The wiper switch is behind the knob just below the radio, to the right of the headlight switch knob. Before tearing into that, I suspect the wiper motor. Run this quick test: Start the engine. turn on the wiper switch. Get out of the car and "help" the wiper arms up from their parked position. If the wipers start to run, the motor has a bad switch contact inside it.
  19. I have the ROA roster from 2017, when Dave was an ROA member, it does have his email address on it. IM me if you want it, and I will give it to you.
  20. Interesting chart. I guess I should create the same chart for the 17 inch tires. I know that I can't fit my metal spare tire cover on my current (or two previous) sets of 525/550-17 tires if the tire is inflated. My solution is to inflate the tire after the cover has been installed which is a bit of a hassle. Maybe there is a tire slightly smaller in diameter that would fit in the cover better than what I have now.
  21. Model A with standard 4 cyl will never do freeway speeds, the non modified cars have mechanical brakes too. Most all autos after 1940 have hydraulic brakes that are much better at stopping.
  22. Thanks Frank.... yeah, no power brakes, but it does have power steering... you figure for such a big auto, they would of added power brakes. To be honest, I didn't noticed the weeping, I guess the flash on my phone camera really highlights it ! Steve
  23. Thank you all for your input, of course the ultimate example of this tax avoidance were the small SIX cylinder British cars in the early 1930s.. Most of the British manufacturers built one. In 1930-36 Austin had the 12-Six with a 61.25mm Bore. Hillman in 1928-32 went one better with their 8 cylinder Vortic 63mm Bore. In 1929 for just one year Humber had their Six-50, 65mm Bore. Lanchester had a Light Six, in 1933-37 with a 57mm Bore. MG worked their way through the Alphabet starting with their L type, then K and N, Magnettes all with the same 57mm Bore. Morris followed suit with their 10-Six also 57mm Bore. Riley produced their version with the 14-Six and Stelvio 1929-34, 60.3mm Bore and the MPH 1934-5 with a 57mm Bore. In 1932 Rover had their 6 cylinder Pilot 12, 59mm Bore. Singer also joined in with their 1933, 14hp, 60mm Bore. In 1933 Standard introduced their "Little 12" with a 57mm Bore. Talbot not wanting to be left out had a 12/30 as early as 1922-24 again with a 57mm Bore. In 1932, Triumph produced their 12/16 with a 56.5mm Bore. Even Vauxhall by 1934 under General Motors rule produced their "Light Six" with a 57mm Bore. Not wanting to left out, in 1931 Wolseley produced the Hornet Six, 57mm Bore. I am sure that their must be one or two I have overlooked and I do hope I have not bored you with all this. Now back to my current project, the 1935 Singer 11hp with just Four Cylinders and 66.5mm Bore. I am about to order the steel tube for my body frame. I find it is better to construct this onto the chassis BEFORE I clean and paint it. This way I avoid the risk of damaging the new paint. I build the body frame straight onto the frame and then remove it to paint the chassis later. The first step is to fit the radiator, so I know the height to build the scuttle to. BUT wait I am reminded that I must look at lowering the rear springs before I do anything else. Even before I do that I must have a clean and tidy in the garage so I can start work without the need to be constantly moving "stuff" to create some "elbow room". It is now just after 10.oo AM and I have yet to open the garage door! Bernie j.
  24. I am gong to replace the 525/550-18 tires on my 1933 Chevrolet in the next year and did some research on tire size after reading a posting on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) forum a year or so ago. Some were complaining that some new tires marked as the same size as their old tires would not fit under their metal tire covers. I believe the dimension that was creating the issue was the diameter of some of the tires. My 33 originally came with 525-18 tires which have not been available since before I bought the car in 1971 and have had 525/550-18 tires since I bought it. I did some research on 525/550-18 and 550-18 tires that are currently available and discovered in almost every published dimension to include Section width, Tread width, and Diameter the 550-18 tires were smaller than the 525/550-18 tires, which surprised me. I would have thought the 525/550 s would have been smaller. Since there are still no 525-18 tires made I took the dimensions of several 525-21 tires and only reduced the diameter by 3 inches to compare all 3 dimensions to the other two sizes and found the 550-18 tires were very close to those of the 21 inch tires reduced in diameter by 3 inches. I also posted my question on the VCCA forum and those who answered were using either BFG or Firestone 550-18 tires.
  1. Load more activity