All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I’m looking at a Loco manual that my friend gave me, and I have to laugh when I see the section about the Water Pump. “The cups should be filled with mutton tallow, beef tallow or a pure heavy mineral grease. Turn down these cups everyday. The question I have is , where are you guys buying your mutton and beef tallow from???
  3. We went out on a 125 mile drive today with some friends. Good drive not for the faint of heart.
  4. Maybe some of these old codgers need to stay in at night. I can see just fine. ;p
  5. Looks almost like a motorcycle headlamp mount to me.
  6. You have never lived unless you had the light fuse blow out on a Cord on interstate 80 driving home from Auburn in the dark. Nothing like having to hold a flashlight on the white line until we could make it to the rest stop. I heard that golf is supposed to be a relaxing hobby….
  7. AJ, I’m impressed. You now have three or four cars sorted! A record for you! Bravo!
  8. Welcome. Post some pictures of your project. We love pictures around here.
  9. Coupe of things…. 1) I am standing by my most bipolar car ever comment. 2) You have the hat trick of white walls, amber road lights and acd badge rocking. Its nice to see that’s it’s getting driven.
  10. Thank you Stude17 and everyone else too. I have 4 carb bodies now. My friend in Ottawa sent me a couple. I've been digging with a pitchfork every day after work in the junkpile hoping to find some more of the pieces. Ive found another rad shell, starting crank, a couple valves, the brass drain for the water pump, one hood hold down and a front seat back. I'm hoping I find a block and manifold. As I have no manifold, I've no idea which carb to use. Three are 1 3/8 bore, and the one looks to be 1 3/16. Anyone know the bore for the 4cyl? The choke snorkel things are different sizes too. Im finding a lot of other neat stuff in the junkpile too. Very fun!I also found a little wrench turned out to be the water pump packing nut wrench. Could've used that earlier. I made one. The little hat thing was in the dirts right where the car was. Any ideas what that is?
  11. For Sale: 1947 Hudson Big Boy Super Six truck - $42,999 - Denver, CO 1947 hudson for sale by owner - Denver, CO - craigslist Seller's Description: Beautiful frame off restored 1947 Hudson Big Boy Super Six truck. Everything has been done and it drives as it should. Call with questions. Contact: Dan (303) ninety-7-9-two-5-1 Copy and paste in your email: 3c6c1683eee73b34a497b47aed8bd244@sale.craigslist.org I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1947 Hudson Big Boy Super Six truck.
  12. I find it interesting that the 34 Buick with the crappy Marvel carb doesn’t hot soak, but the 36 Packard dumps fuel like the Exon Valdez………..? Benefits of updraft! I find it interesting that you finally have the car sorted after three years…….shouldn't be too difficult, it’s just an old car. Great example why cars are so expensive today. Parts cost was almost zero…….labor time, almost unlimited. How many hours do you, as trained engineer from a top school; have in it? Whats up with the white walls? Smoking dope again? 🤔
  13. SUCCESS!!!! It was simpler than any of us thought. I missed installed the oil plug on the front of the eng9ine that sort of hides behind the cam gear. In my defense, I did not remove that plug. The machine shop would have when they cleaned it. That plug is not called out in the FoMoCo assembly instructions. a 1/2" hole will reduce oil pressure. After installing the plug and then spinning the distributor at only about 50 rpm, the oil pressure gauge pegged at 40+ psi AND there is flow out the hole in the top surface of the block. All is well. Thank you for all who offered ideas. Maybe this thread will help out someone else in the future.
  14. Flat rate mechanics back then made about .35 cents an hour………..
  15. You do understand the difference between a job and a HOBBY, or do you? I asked for technical help to understand a problem and help find a solution. YOU decided that you were my supervisor and criticized the time I was taking, your choice to act that way, but I haven't seen a paycheck from you yet---still waiting. |I learned long ago that is it better to be criticized for taking too long rather than be criticized for the final quality of the work. Yes, it is taking it is taking longer that the "book" time--but it is a hobby and the time is mine, so I will continue to do as I please. One of the differences between repair and original assembly is that at original assembly few measurements were required--the Engineers has figured out the allowable tolerances and the parts given the assemblers were to be installed. That was one of the first innovations that Ford made--way back in the Model T days. Ford invested in Joh blocks so that he has assurance that parts were made to the proper sizes and tolerances. He removed the "fitting" of parts during assembly so that assembly could be done by lower-skilled people. You critical attitude did not affect me--I will do as I choose, but I wonder if your approach might frighten off younger people who would see "the Hobby" as populated by old critical people. The HOBBY --all HOBBIES--are things we do for FUN. I see people investing vast resources of time and $$ into projects that will never pay off --at least financially. The choose to do that simply because they want to do it and they take pride in their work. More power to them.
  16. Not a 440 car, but likely not a scam. In 1967 the "B" body Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite sub model GTX was equipped with a 440 or optionally 426 Hemi. In 66 you could order a 426 Hemi in a B body Satellite. OK, this car is on the money if you want a decent muscle driver @ $27000 Canadian=$19600 US. On the USA border also.
  17. Hi, I'm new here. I have a 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, Canadian Model. Restoration of the drive train is essentially complete, as is the body except for a couple of small trim pieces. Due to other priorities, restoration has been suspended at this stage for several years now, but I'm finally ready to tackle the interior, and get this thing on the road.
  18. Today
  19. Not a factory 440 car. This style of Barracuda "A Body" only came as a "M" code 440 in 1969. A drag race Plymouth design.
  20. As the price tide rises to levels that outstrip finances for "hobby cars" a nicely kept 4 door 6 cylinder sedan from 1955 to mid 70's is very easy to justify and enjoy as much as a big bucks convertible/ hardtop V8 model for a good percentage of people. I'm at the age where I'm never, ever buying a project again(yeah right) due to costs and inability to crawl under cars and get back up in one piece. So a nice 4 door in good turnkey "mostly original" condition has huge appeal to me. Especially if it has A/C and brakes that work!
  21. So $7.00 was billed as labor. The mechanic probably saw less than $2.00 of it.
  22. This recent discovery was quite a surprise - it's a commemorative print from the Automobile Week event held at the Mt. Washington Hotel, Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. The hotel itself was completed in 1902. It was, and remains today as part of the Omni Hotel chain, an elegant resort spa with a rich history - and a connection to motoring history. Beginning in 1904, a "hill-Climb" race was held there over what was known as the Automobile Road up to the hotel. The event was also called "The Climb To The Clouds," finishing at the hotel. At that time, the road itself was a rocky, jagged, rough path that proved a serious challenge to early automobiles and drivers. Some of the most famous early motorists though made the run, including Joan Cuneo, the year this photo was taken. This 1905 event was held in conjunction with the Glidden Tour that year, the second Glidden held. This wonderful, historic print fits well in my collection, along with an original 1905 Glidden drivers badge, completion certificate and car banner from that tour. Was thrilled to add such a historic piece of artwork to my collection and thought you'd enjoy seeing it. Terry
  1. Load more activity