All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Here you go Sunny, Just picture using some Franklin bits & pieces.
  3. Am sure that someone collects worthless jacks but valuable, no. I just need ones that are easy to lift. Now for a historical question: I have an aunchient Hein-Werner floor jack that is rated at 1 1/4 tons but is built more like (and weighs about the same) a modern 3 ton. Did ratings change at some point ? (Have rebuilt at least twice).
  4. I guess what I wrote loses something when one sentence is taken out of context How about: The amount of money a person has put into an item has no bearing on the selling price. period.
  5. Is the body rusted that would weaken it? If you remove the windshield , fenders, and doors there is just about no weight there. It should not be a problem.
  6. Hello Zeke, It looks just like a 12 ton Blackhawk that I have, if need be I can take a picture of mine. I purchased mine used at a estate sale 20 years ago and it just keeps on going and going, just like that pink bunny.
  7. A tremendous amount of change has occurred in my 49 years on this planet. I imagine the folks older than me must blink their eyes, bewildered what has become of today’s world. It’s unbelievable. I agree with Matt and and Wayne. Being as this an auto group, I’ll comment on related. We’re often screwed each time we try to source new parts for our old cars. So much cheap junk Is provided that works half the time. When it does work, it might work for a little while. Yet the parts used before it, may have been original and well over 50, or even 80 plus years old. Honesty and integrity seems to mean little these days for sure.
  8. The real tragedy is we have all but lost our manufacturing base. through bad trade deals, taxes, etc. If we had to gear-up today for the level of wartime manufacturing as we did for WW2 we would be screwed. The heavy industrial base is simply not there. Niether is the domestic competition that drives prices and quality. Try getting the best price for a military component when there is only one firm in the U.S. that still makes that piece. Or how about having to use a inferior welded assembly rather than a cast or forged assembly because the foundry has gone out of business. Better yet try finding young people interested in learning a trade. Our local community college has a fantastic precision machine program with state of the art equipment - last year they had all of five students.
  9. I know exactly what you are feeling Matt regarding our hobby / driver cars. I have put off getting at my car even with all what I have in stock thinking I will need to put her back together as like what your are experiencing, I'm sure one thing will lead to another and my small business is way off it's mark... Concentrating on bringing in money another way and that is slow so with free storage and no even local car gatherings... leaving those nuts and bolts and tools right where I left them till things are in better shape. God I hate the expression "We are all in this together" from the Powers That Be but here on the Forums dare I say it kinda does apply? Hang in Matt, that's all I'm going to do. (What real choice do we have?)
  10. I suspect it is not in the US. Cuba maybe ?
  11. Yes, it is one of these. That spring-loaded pawl is rather delicate. Probably a good idea to keep it lightly greased over its travel. - Carl
  12. Used to see that quite often on Commonwealth Ave. Boston during the mid sixties whilst I was driving a company delivery van as a high school summer job...was against company the rules to pick anyone up whilst I was delivering medical supplies throughout Boston hospitals. (Mr. Earl...I was able to "whilst" twice in my reply!!).
  13. I was going to make the same request Jason, but you beat me to it ! The ones I sent Ray, (...cribbed from FB posts), were all small, and low res. I'm sure you will get some good ones!
  14. Not to take this over, but the discussion of heat as a potential issue has me wondering just what kind of stress an overheating engine could put on something like cotter pins securing something like a wrist pin. Rod’s first description of the symptoms sounded hauntingly familiar.... The thing never did boil over or lose a lot of water though. Hrmm.
  15. Glad it found a new home Mr. Paul - it just looked much too nice to toss, from the pictures you posted. I have saved bits 'n pieces, mostly small stuff, stored away from 2 '68 parts cars that are at best "driver quality," but I can't bear tossing them. Soon as I do, I know I will need something - at least that's how I justify keeping them. haha
  16. Expansion of steel is around 0.1% for 80 degrees C (144 F). If the piston is 3.375 inches, the hot piston would be 3.375 x 1.001 = 3.378. That's enough expansion to close the ring gap to zero and from there the piston expands and becomes too big for the cylinder. The pistons would get tighter until the engine stops. .https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=WSCi%2bNUJ&id=9F32ACBA28237E04575C1F087E04C78A56DED579&thid=OIP.WSCi-NUJQfTGblffW1LWuQHaG-&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.engineeringtoolbox.com%2fdocs%2fdocuments%2f782%2fpipe-thermal-expansion-diagram-degC.png&exph=394&expw=418&q=expansion+of+steel+with+temperature&simid=607998134274820040&selectedIndex=3&ajaxhist=0
  17. I don't have to be a big Chevy fan to know that this tri-color "Easter Egg" special never left a GM factory looking like that.
  18. In the early fall of 1962, I was just past my 15-1/2 birthday when I was at the Buick dealership where my dad used to work. I found a new '63 Riviera under a car cover that was waiting for the opening date for the new car reveal. I saw the car and didn't think about how old I was or how old the designed market was. It was love at first sight. I turned 16 the next February and got an AMT model of the Riviera for a birthday present. A gag actually, my dad had told me at the time I first saw the Riviera that it was "impractical" because it was missing two doors. On my birthday he told me that he'd reconsidered and that there was a '63 Riviera waiting for me in the garage. It was the AMT model. So, I think that age has nothing to do with desire. A few years after we were married my wife and I replaced our 1964 Buick Wildcat with a new 1973 Buick Century Luxus. A couple of months after that I got a promotion we had a need for a 2nd car. I combed the classifieds of the KC Star until I found a '66 Riviera that I could afford. The Riviera outlasted the Century. Even as a 20+ year old "kid" I liked the ride and power that came with the Riviera. Ed PS - I still have that AMT model.
  19. I was thinking the same thing last night while looking at it. I thought, man that roof has more metal than Jeff's whole car. Next one, if there is a next one will be a small car.
  20. Today
  21. hi just cheeking in i could not remember my pass word and old comp. die
  22. MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WITH CLEAN SHOES ON DOESN'T IT.
  23. Oh boy Matt! Your last two posts really nailed much of what I have been yelling about for many years! Thirty five years ago, I saw this happening (the U-joint incident was a tuning point in my eyes), and have been speaking out against it all along. When WE, when our corporations and government, REWARD mediocrity and the selling out of all our most valuable resources (Our own hard working masses! Our ability to manufacture, and provide for ourselves as well as much of the rest of the world!), the absolute end result will be the loss of everything of value. Honesty and integrity are already GONE! We cannot even provide for ourselves in a viral crisis (whether real or imagined?), and the likely-to-collapse economy will lead to more devastation and death (yes, DEATH) than the virus would have ever done on its own! Following is part of what I wrote and sent to an antique automobile and internet friend just last night. "The only real hope we have is that no less than fifty million Americans can WAKE UP in the next two years and DEMAND honesty and integrity in all things political, journalistic, and corporate behavior. From THAT, maybe we can get the liars and thieves out of power. What I have seen the past few months says that isn't likely to happen. It is entirely within the realm of probability that within a hundred years, the entire world could again be like it was in the "Dark Ages" 700 years ago. The "great land" that had wondrous power may become nothing more than another legend and tales told around the fire on cold winter evenings. It took two thousand years to go from the ancient Greek civilization to Robert Fulton's steam boat. And nearly two hundred years from that to Henry Ford and a hundred other "right people at the right time"! It could take another two thousand years before humanity can again achieve what we have had." Let me add, that in a major socioeconomic collapse, it would only take about two generations for ninety percent of what has been learned and developed in the past two hundred years to be LOST! As an industrial society, we would be back to steam boats and manual looms. Computers and electronic retrieval systems would die for lack of power and proper maintenance, and most books would have been burned or abandoned to rot in the ground. The people with the knowledge would have died off, so what would be left? Only the simplest technologies that could be rigged up from the remnants of what was. Steam engines and simple machines. Sorry. I have ranted enough. But I think so much of what we as a dominant species have accomplished, and what our real potential was (note, unless we turn this around SOON, that potential WAS!), was wonderful. Not just the technologies, and the ability to feed millions without working half of them to death, but the music, many arts, including movies and written stories, and of course our wonderful historic cars! And it could all be gone in a blink of the world's eye. I was not a "doomsdayer", despite how all this sounds. I was just never foolish enough to believe everything that came before I was born was simply OURS forever! We MUST take care of it, and US if we do not want to lose it all. Vigilance is forever. So is death. As said in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "CHOOSE WISELY!"
  24. I think you all know this, but the entire conversation on this thread re. this car was really worthwhile. I got none of this from reading HMN for 40 years.... All something a potential caretaker needs to know (although it does make me a little apprehensive while pondering a lot of cars that I’d really like to own). Thanks
  1. Load more activity