Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Marty Roth last won the day on January 1 2023

Marty Roth had the most liked content!

5 Followers

Profile Information

• Other Clubs
    VMCCA, HCCA, CCCA, CLC, BCA, HET, VCCA, CORSA, Packard, Oakland, HCC-NO, Lagniappe, BBTR, SELA/St Bernard, BRTR

Recent Profile Visitors

12,374 profile views

Marty Roth's Achievements

25,000+ Points

25,000+ Points (7/7)

• Reacting Well
  • Dedicated
  • Very Popular Rare
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

1. I've used equalizer hitches for nearly 50 years with a strong level of comfort. In the beginning I also used a friction anti-sway, but with sensible loading have found it entirely unnecessary - at least for me, and haven't used it in probably 40 years or more.
  2. Surely not identical, but certainly comparable in many ways, our 1937 Buick 80C Roadmaster Phaeton (convertible sedan) is a joy to drive. It easily holds highway speed, a does our 1941 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible coupe. Both are serious cross country drivers and extremely comfortable. Follow and strongly consider much of the great advice offered in prior posts, but mostly decide if you want the enjoyment, or are more concerned about financial impact. Follow your heart, as well as your head - but remember, these are rare, and you seem to have many positives going for you with this example. If you want to get out of the old car hobby with a small fortune, start with a large one.
  3. lump, Herb Singe is on the scooter and wearing the red cap, Don Boulton is the gentleman on the left with the white name tag. A pair of luminaries in the hobby.
  4. Thanks, Terry, I had intended to also note Herb Singe from my photo, but got sidetracked before completing, and hit "submit". We also visited Herb's collection and were amazed, not only with the many Brass-Era vehicles, but also the Orchestrions and many Lladros (which Dale and I also collect).
  5. As with Mr Smits, I also started going to Chickasha in the 1980s, along with Pate, Petit Jean, and Nashville, Georgia which later moved to Moultrie - of course Hershey was much earlier, as were the more local meets like Baton Rouge, and more impromptu offerings at local car shows such as the New Orleans All-Club Show which was always the Saturday following Hershey. The treasures we found at Hershey were quickly used to enhance our cars for display that following Saturday. So many of the earlier comments ring true. Internet availability of specialized parts has helped the hobby but diminished Flea Market in person activity, just as sources such as Amazon and Ebay have altered our in-person shopping at local merchants and big-box brick and mortar stores. I appreciate walking the fields and renewing the many friendships cultivated over the past 60+ years I've been actively involved in the hobby. I'll miss the Friday Noon-Time Buick Guy Photo Shoot at Chickasha. Pate always had a Modified/Street-Rod component which seems to have increased over the years - especially since leaving the Aggie Pate Ranch for the Texas Motor Speedway, and I haven't attended recently, but miss heading up to Fort Worth for Angelo's Barbecue (2533 White Settlement Rd) - maybe next week during the VMCCA Orphan Car Tour? Petit Jean Mountain, Arkansas was always a neat small get-together in the shade just prior to Fathers' Day, and we'll once again visit the Museum at Petit Jean Mountain during the VMCCA Chrome Glidden Tour later this month. I haven't been able to attend Moultrie for many years. Part of the issue at Chickasha was that it seemed the better deals were made in the parking area on Thursday before vendors were allowed into the facility. While Friday was a fairly active day, most vendors and visitors were gone before Saturday's opening - so 4+ night of motels, 4 days driving, 4+ days of expenses for what amounted to a single day shopping ??? One of the best parts of the Chickasha Meet was annual visits to Don Boulton's garages, a spectacular Brass-Era collection in Oklahoma City, sadly no longer there following Mr Boulton's passing.
  6. Well, a black car, the 5th car behind the white Cadillac on the left just might be a 1937 Buick, based on the appearance of the split grille, and the bus farther back in that lane "might" be powered by the ubiquitous Buick Valve-In-Head 320 ci engine.
  7. Yes, this trick was bought for a quick resale - just another "Flipper"?
  8. @Larry Schramm I've had my Maryland EZ Pass, and it costs me $1.50/month if not used in Maryland. At $18/year it is not taking me to the poor house (yet), but what is I-Pass, and where do I get it?
  9. Thanks, james, Having lived and worked in essentially all areas of the country, including the Midwest and the Upper Midwest, even a single day of sweating my A$$ off was too much. Minneso(H)-taa heat and humidity for a few days is no less unendurable than in my native New Jersey, nor the work assignments and years we spent in Indiana, Utah, Virginia, and even North Dakota and Montana, etc. At my age, and my stage in life, certain items are mandatory, and functional A/C is one of them. Mis-quoting Patrick Henry, I know not what others may do, but as for me, Give Me A/C (and a good road to tour with friends - old and new).
  10. Agreed , Used to have: 1938 Morgan Barrel Back Trike (3-Wheel), Restored my 1948 MG-TC - Works car from factory with blower, 1955 TR-2, 1952 Jag XK-120MC Then switched to 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce, and a succession of Citroens
  11. This was the smaller series C-24, Brake Horsepower 28 The mid-sized series C-37 was more powerful, like Dave's (and my former 1914 B-37): Brake Horsepower 35 The large series C-54 had a 130 inch wheelbase, 331.5 Cu In, Brake Horsepower 55
  12. Thanks @46woodie , Yes, and I've been accused of wearing a belt AND suspenders ...
  13. Follow-up, We made a tab and mounted as per photo provided by @K8096. Thanks to all.
  14. @ted sweet What? I don't understand . Why did you quote me? Are you upset with my note, and if not, is it that you're unhappy with some other post, but nailing me? Please take thetime to explain, because I don't think I am alienating anyone - certainly not intentionally.