Trailer Tires

Terry Bond

SB, this thread started with Terry having a concern with Goodyear and Carlyle trailer tires. I have no experience with the Hi-Run brand personally. I was making the point that some trailer manufactorers will allow you to spec different brands of tires or may even let you "bring your own", although that generally does not save you money.

I'm wondering since we're all concerned about the life of these tires, whether or not we should go up a size or two to relieve the overloading of the tires in question.

Interesting thread! Carry on! smile.gif

Wayne

Wayne, sounds like Haulmark didn't want to carry on very much of a conversation. Sort of what they did with me when I questioned them about my trailer marker lights. Seems they only used these for 1 year and changed due to problems with them staying lit, lucky me as they are terrible.

Spoke to another trailer tire dealer and he stated very few are made here in the USA (maybe one company). I inquired about a Tow Master brand tire which I used to successfully use and he said they were now made in India. He said he has been selling the LOADSTAR's 'KARRIER' tires (Japen) for many years with almost zero issues. Anyone have any experiences with these?

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?...;categoryID=163

Wow, I think I got dizzy reading that Drive! crazy.gifsleep.gif

Ok, we've heard this from PFH <span style="font-weight: bold">(PJH)</span>before as he has had experience with the use of nitrogen in his trailer tires, which is great. The problem is keeping the oxygen from contaminating the "outside"! Even though you put covers over your tires, oxygen will still go under and around, correct?

So, in your senario, what to do? confused.gif

Wayne

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDITED POST!!! Sorry Mr Hartman, I meant to put a "J" in those initials above for our friend Peter J Heizmann. I, in no way, meant my statements to be about you.</span>

MY COMMENTS ABOUT TRAILER TIRES, AND PEOPLE CALLING MY POSTS 'DRIVEL".

From time to time we see childish insults in here. My initals are PFH, and I am fairly well-known in the old car hobby. I got lucky and have one HELL of a big old classic car - apparently, that is offensive to some guys who werent as lucky as I am.

I hope I have a long-established reputation as one who desires to HELP fellow old car hobbyists get CORRECT info., hopefully to keep them active in the hobby. All too often we have people get nasty when they see comments that are too technical for them to grasp, typically when they say something I do NOT think has served the old car hobby well.

I am not pleased at personal attacks. I dont think most old car buffs want to see that. I dont think that is a particularly sportsmanlike way to respond to a post.

Secondly, that kind of mean-spirited childish attack SHOULD make us ALL wonder about the competence of the person who felt a desire to be nasty. For TWO very good reasons.

First, a good general reason is childish insults place discredit on all of us, including the sponsor of this forum

Secondly, childish insults make us wonder how competent the indivdual is, making the insult.

I am terriblly sorry for the "insulter" that he dosnt like me. We dont come in here to run personality contests - we come in here, hopefully, to help others and see what we can learn.

The reason I think we should all take a good deep breath, and wonder about the competence of this fellow "calling my post drivel"..IS I DID NOT MAKE ANY POSTS IN THIS THREAD.

The is some guy with SIMILIAR initials who is apparently a NEW guy to our forum. I hope he and other people seriously interested in helping and learning something about old car issues, isnt put off by this one childish insulter.

Now, as long as I am ACCUSED of making a "post" this guy calls "drive", let me put MY "two cents" in about my own trailer tire experience (see next post - I am going to run out to my trailer and take some notes on my tires. Be right back).

PART TWO (hopefully, we wont see more childish insults - again, my initals ARE PFH and I do NOT like to see posts called "drivel" (especially in my case, since I hadn't made ANY posts in this thread...! (for a very good reason - wife and I just came back - just turned on the computer, after several days isolated, having a ball boating in a wild section of Lake Mead!)

I have two trailers. Both have to handle approx 10,000 lb loads. Both are three axle, 15 " wheels.

I personally have had excellent experience with japanese CAR tires. Have owned a lot of japanese cars, and been thru, thru normal wear, a lot of japanese tires for them.

For my trailers, I PREFER American tires.

My Trail Rite boat trailer originally came with BIAS tires. They served well, but had the usual severe over-heating at anything over 55 mph, which is a typical problem of BIAS tires designed for VERY heavy loads and side-wall abuse.

Because we tow heavy things (our boat weighs about 7,000 lbs, and the trailer has to weigh at least 3,000) I gave up on the over-heating and went to a radial. Of interest, I got a radial CAR tire, because in those years (mid 1990) I couldnt find a heavy duty RADIAL trailer tire.

I now have FIVE Cornell Scrambler XL MS, and one CARLISIE . (burned up one of the Cornells when a brake cylinder locked up, skidding the wheel). I run max. recommended pressure. Extensive extreme speed driving on the hottest desert days. So far, no problems.

Conclusion - my own experience suggests that American-made tires are the way to go, for trailer ops.

apology accepted ! - by the way, my last name is HARTMANN ( two "n's on the end )

but again, I do think we should all try to focus on old-car related issues, pay a little less attention to individual personalities !

(damn..wish I had a personality---anyone know where I could rent one..?)

Well I got my tires - much to my surprise, those Goodyears are indeed "made in China." I asked about it and it seems that if you want the brand, there ins't any choice. They've farmed out that part of the operation to the orient. As much as I too dislike the thought of doing anything un-American with my hobby (British stuff being the only exception), I'm going to run those Goodyears as a test for the forum. I'll let you know how it goes. As for all the other stuff, I went with regular air in the tires and spent the difference on a good bottle of scotch, which is coming with me on the Vintage tour. So, if anyone else is coming along, and wants to sip, and talk old cars, just let me know.

I have heard that those Kenda Loadstar tires are pretty good but I wanted to stick with a local garage thats been good to me over the years. Theyi gave me a nice price break, so I was able to beat everyone by a few bucks. It helped me upgrade on the scotch.

Happy (safe) motoring!

Terry

Just got back from a trip to Vermont with car and trailer. Checked all 4 trailer tires at 65# before trip, during and after. No problems with the Good Years over the 660 mile round trip. Pretty bad though when you have to sweat your tires and hold your breath during a little trip like that...........Bob

• 3 weeks later...

David, Speaking of Chinese fastening devices. Chinese lag bolts have the strength of a hot turd in August as I have 2 broken off in my front door. Their wood screws will snap when they are half in a material similar to balsa wood. Their drywall screws are designed so the head snaps off once it reaches / contacts the surface of the drywall.

To keep this topic related my Goodyear tires I bought 2 or 3 years ago are made in New Zealand, and holding up well.

It was 100 degrees today and will be 101 tomorrow when we pull the trailer to Moline. We won't be traveling on the Chinese tires provided by Haulmark. It will be on a new set of Cooper tires made in Findlay Ohio. It is a shame I had to shell out another $500 for the piece of mind, but that is the way it is in America these days. Hope my Mexican made Chevrolet holds up!

I still maintain that the paranoia over the quality of Chinese made goods is a little extreme. My mother came over yesterday all in a tizzy telling me to throw out all of my baby daughter's toys that are made in China because lead paint has been found on some Chinese toys. Well, I started to go through them, and ALL of them are made in China. I have looked at all her toys to see which ones are painted, and I have looked at Mattel's and Fisher-Price's web site to see what has been recalled. I'm not about to toss out all of my kid's toys.

Yes I have had some stuff from China that was really, really bad. I got a yo-yo once that said "Made in Chiha" on it. I thought that was funny. But some stuff has been really, really good. The computer that I am typing this on is made in China, so is my Canon camera. Yes, I agree that some Chinese stuff is horrible, hand tools come to mind. However, since I've never had any problems with Chinese tires, although I've had some very crappy American tires (Goodyears especially), I will continue to use the tires that came on our Haulmark until they wear out or rot away.

Oh, by the way, neither of my "American" cars are made in America, but my mom's Toyota is.

The Chinese cars will be out soon and some "Americans " will flock to buy them because they will be cheap. Cheap is the reason Haulmark put the Hi-Run tires on their trailers. Cheap is why our pets were dying from their Chinese food. Cheap is why the Dollar Store toothpaste had anti-freeze in it. I sure hope the Chinese jets and tanks are cheap when we find ourselves unable to make armaments to protect this country!

PS: I have three Hi-Run tires for sale.....CHEAP!

Well, my trek to Maryland with the Model T went well. The new Goodyears felt great and handled nicely. ISt was hot and I covered a good variety of road surfaces and had no problems. Since then Ive used the trailer a couple of times locally with no problems. I'll keep checking (as we should) and let you all now of any problems, but for now, Im satisfied with the produce and price. I just won't put them into my mouth as everything coming our of China these days seems to have a high lead content! Oh by the way, the Scotch was great. Still got some left for Hershey.

Terry