'Morris Eight Series II' Operation manual

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I have a 1935 Morris Eight, actually an early pre-series, but same basic car as the Series 1. Wonder how many Morris Eights are in the USA?

Terry

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid there are no Morris clubs in the U.S. The best you're likely to come accross is a local British car club.

The nearest one listed on Hemmings.com for you is British Car Club of the Lehigh Valley (BCCLV), but there may be others in your area (especially around Harrisburg. The Hemmings list is not comprehenisve. My club here in Cincinnati (BCCGC) is not listed, for instance, despite being quite large and active.

• 7 years later...

Hello

I am in the process of becoming a proud Morris 8 owner. I have not taken possession yet, but know that I will need to work on the steering box - I am interested to hear what you have done to your steering box, if anything?

Also, this is an almost complete rebuild and in the process the radiator cover must have been misaligned as there is a gap between the bonnet and the bulkhead on the one side and not the other - any ideas on realignment?

Finally any experience with the gauges - mine are not original and the fuel and speedometer do not work.

Thanks!

Andrew

post-155399-0-17045200-1447819252_thumb.

That handbook brings back so many memories, I obtained my driving licence here in Australia in 1960 and I bought a 1937 Morris 8/40 DP Roadster.  It was all I could afford at the time and it was my daily transport to work and technical college for a few years.  I learnt much about cars due to the constant attention needed to keep it reliable.  My father and I  removed the engine and fitted new rings, the crankshaft was worn and my uncle took it away and hand filed it round, he stared with a fine file then finished with fine emery paper wrapped around the file with constant checking with a micrometer.  The car covered many miles after that with good oil pressure and no bearing failures.  How times have changed.

Another incident occurred when a back brake locked on shearing the "U" bolts tearing the whole rear axle out from under the car.  

The electrics were a constant PITA particularly the ignition / light switch.

I resprayed it and it looked quite good.  My mother took the old top apart and using it as a pattern sewed a new one.  It never had any side curtains.

Great memories, That car was my ticket to independence, and while I have owned some nice cars since that on has the strongest memories.

David

1937 Morris 840.pdf

Edited by DavidMc (see edit history)

A very long time ago a 1937 Morris 8/40 was my third car. At the time I felt that they were vastly better than an Austin Seven. I should say that then in the mid to late1950s these were everyday drivers. Many of you will not approve but my car. At the time it was more than a match for Singer 9s and early MGs. 

40 years later another Morris 8/40 based "special" this one considerably quicker than the first. This one built as a replica of the "Barbara Skinner £100 Morris Minor special" the original was built for the daughter of the Skinner Union (SU) carburettor maker. It was said to do both 100 mph and 100 mpg but not both on the same day. My car would have come close to the first but came nowhere near the second.

oldcar

post-94860-0-85726400-1447997386_thumb.j

post-94860-0-68616000-1448074171_thumb.j

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)