Need turn signal switch for '68

JonW

I need a turn signal switch for my '68 with tilt wheel. Does anyone have the GM part number (if they are still available?). Any leads on where to get one if they are not available from GM? I haven't had much luck locally.

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 9000 series, my '68 parts manual lists Grp.2.895 #7800482 - Switch(Delco)Colour Code White, or Green with Hazard warning included. '67/'68 Riviera only, without cornering lamps. </div></div>

Correct, Randy. His car might have the red (BPM) one though... look at the color plastic visible by the hazard flasher to see if it's pinkish in color or greenish white. Buick stuffed in whatever was on hand, without regard, on cars without cornering lights.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

You might go to www.rockauto.com and look in their catalog listing for the switch. It might have listings for parts manufacturers (i.e., BorgWarner, ACDelco) that you can source locally. The ACDelco listing, if it's there, would be the "Delco number" rather than a GM part number, though.

In looking at the rockauto.com catalog listing, they list two repair kits for the switch and the ACDelco switch assembly. The kits and the switch are for "w/o cornering lights", though. The switch and kit listings are the same as for a '68 LeSabre--no mention of tilt wheel or not in either rockauto or ACDelco. The ACDelco switch is D6211 (1893592).

The ACDelco switch does also include an adapter harness to mate the flat harmonica-style connector on the switch to the circular plug-in of the chassis wiring harness (an adapter which the orig switch will not need). It has been ACDelco/GM practice to replace the earlier switches with apparently later model switches and then sell the adapter harness (which appears to be included in the D6211 box, as part of the switch item) to mate the newer configuration switch to the earlier chassis wiring harness.

If one of the cancelling springs has broken, resulting in the switch not self-cancelling from a turn, they are available separately--either from a GM dealer that still stocks them (GM sells them in quanties of "10/box") or from the HELP! rack. They are color coded for "right" and "left", typically. They only go in one way, though.

It might be possible that you could adapt the "w/o cornering light" switch to fit your application. Possibly by splicing a wire into the new switch to run the cornering light control mechanism?

You might take the supplied part number (from the other post) and run it through www.partsvoice.com (free registration now required) to check for any NOS sources (i.e., dealers or parts vendors who have their inventory listed on PartsVoice).

What has failed on your switch? Just curious.

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 9000 series, my '68 parts manual lists Grp.2.895 #7800482 - Switch(Delco)Colour Code White, or Green with Hazard warning included. '67/'68 Riviera only, without cornering lamps. </div></div>

If you have a cornering lamp switch (- per Darwin's post) Grp.2.895 #5698899 - Switch(BPM)Colour Code Red (with hazard warning switch).

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have cornering lamps. Too many cars, got confused. But the 7800482 switch didn't work. The mechanic said my switch looked totally different than that one. </div></div>

Well, if it looked totally different... then it's a BPM switch and you could have noticed that by checking what color was visible when you look by the hazard flasher, per my previous post. BPMs are pinkish; Delco are greenish or whiteish. As I stated earlier, whether you have cornering lamps or not, you can always make a switch built for cornering lamps work on a non cornering lamp car (by leaving the 3 wires that go to the cornering lights unplugged), but you can't use a non-cornering lamp switch in a cornering lamp car.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor