Master Cylinder Conversion

KQQLCAT

I would like to convert my 63 Wildcat from single reseviour to two reseviour master cylinder. Someone had told me that I could use a 67 Riviera but I have found out that there are two different types. Shallow and deep hole. Which one is the correct one to bolt up to my existing power booster?

Thanks,

Pat

Use any '67 full size Buick master cylinder. The only way to answer the hole depth question with any certainty is to remove your old master cylinder and see which you have. The shallow hole is about 1/4" deep and the deep hole is about 1" deep, so there will be no doubt once you remove the old one.

Your parts guys will ask you if you want the '67 Buick Bendix or Delco unit. My '63 Riv has the deep hole; I forget now but I think it was the Bendix unit in '67. YMMV. Just order in a new '67 master cylinder (for drum-drum car -- important!) and see what you get. Compare to original hole depth in store. If not correct, order the other one.

Get from Inline Tube ( http://www.inlinetube.com ) a fitting to connect brake light switch for the '63 to the rear brake line. It's cool. You take the rear brake line off of the junction block and plug the port that is left open. Inline Tube sells the plug. Then you put in their T-fitting. It has female tube connections at each end; one for the line running to the rear wheels and the other one for the tube you run up to one port of the new master cylinder. Then screw the brake switch into the T and you are done there. The brake light switch is 1/8" pipe fitting. All the rest are various sizes of 45 deg. double flare fittings. You will have enough wire on the brake light switch harness to go down to the vicinity of the fitting you just added. Fasten the new T-fitting to the existing junction block somehow, to keep the lines from vibrating. No proportioning valve used with drum-drum.

You must prime new master cylinder on the bench before installing in car. When installing, connect rear wheels to rear port on master cylinder, and front to front. (Important!)

When you install the new master cylinder, you must put on a new seal where it slips into the booster housing. Look at the old master cylinder. There is a groove that a rubber ring sits in. Without this seal, no vacuum in booster and no power brakes (common error). Buy a new one or carefully move your old one over to the new MC.

E-mail me off list with questions.