Trailering my 65 Riviera

AndyRiv65

Guest Gee_Rydes

HEY!! Here is a question I can answer. U haul says their maximum weight on their car hauler is 4000 pounds. As we know the 65' and most others weigh in more than that. Size wise, it fits.

Here is the problem, Uhaul will ask exactly what year and model you are hauling. Their computer will automatically look up the weight and if it is too much (which a 65' is) they will say "no way".

I know of a person...know him pretty well... that made a mistake when "he" rented a uhaul car hauler and told them the car being hauled was a 1985 Riviera. Those cars weigh in around 3800 pounds. I guess "he" was willing to take the risk. He towed it from Phoenix to LA and never had a problem.

I wouldn;t recommend that to anyone else since it is borderline unethical, but this "person" was in a bind and needed solutions.

The U-haul trailers I've rented a few times have been very short and very worn, and thus very prone to whip. They are also narrow, so I'm not sure you can get your car on without damage.

I have been able to rent larger trailers from other local companies.

However, all the rental trailers I've seen have had surge brakes, which I regard as hazardous when compared to electric brakes.

So if you go this route, be sure you use a big, beefy tow vehicle (preferably a long-wheelbase 3/4-ton pickup at minimum).

Guest imported_65gs76limited

It's been probley ten years or more but i rented a trailer from Ryder to bring home a 75 Delta 88 convert. Told ryder in St Louis what i wanted to haul back to Ohio and they had a trailer for it.Give them a call and tell them what you want to haul. Tom

Just lie and tell them you are hauling a Toyota Corolla. The U-haul trailer will work perfectly fine and is much heavier duty than any piece of junk car trailer that trailer dealers sell to the general public. Trust me, I have done it a million times and I was a U-haul dealer for years.

I have trailered 67 and 71 Rivs on a U-Haul trailer on various occasions with no problems. A couple trips were maybe 500 miles or so through mountains of WV. I had no problems but as usual when towing anything that big you have to apply some commone sense. When I rented the trailer I did have a memory lapse and told them it was an 86 Riviera or something like that. I was not able to rent a Ryder Trailer without renting their truck too. The Trailers I rented all had momentum style brakes which worked quite well actually...except if you try to back up a hill they lock which isn't good.