all black interior

bc65riv

i've seen a lot of 65 riv pictures over the years but never seen an interior (standard) that didn't have wood grain somewhere. mine has no woodgrain anywhere---instead it has matte back panels where the wood panels usually are. the "made expressly for" (or similar) tag was also mounted on a fat black panel---makes me think it came from the factory that way. was this a common option?

All 1963's, whether they had standard or custom interiors, had the black "pebble grain" vinyl on the consoles and behind the radio, and wood on the door panels of the custom interior. In 1964, the standard interior came with no wood on the doors and the black vinyl on the console and behind the radio; the custom interior had wood on the door panels and the console. The only thing black on a 1965 was the facia on the dash, behind the radio, and on the glove box. All of the consoles had wood on them, the door panels on the custom interior had the wood as well.

I would venture to say that if your '65 has black vinyl on the console, that someone did it after the fact. The "Made Expressly For" pieces are still available today. Is there anyway to look into the previous ownership of the car?

thanx for the info, ed. at first iwent to see the previous owner who said that he had bought it off the lady whose name was on the "custom built for catherine vellman" plate in san diego. then he said that he hadn't made any changes on it himself so i was still curious until i checked out the trim tag under the hood where i found 609 which means saddle vinyl according to the roa decoder. so i'm assuming that someone somewhere put a 64 standard interior in my car---all black---no wood---which by the way, i love. unless someone else out there has another one like this i'll consider the search over.

then again,------why would anyone go to the trouble of changing the entire interior from saddle to black including headliner, door panels---the works and then also not a 65 but a 64? its still a mystery to me.

does 609 mean saddle vinyl for sure?