The Benzer Rear View Wind Deflectors

Guest moparjim64

Guest moparjim64

This is the identification on the two brackets that I have. The story that I have is that they were installed on my Grandfather?s Willys Knight Touring. The Willys Knight was sold for scrap to aid the WW II effort. Grandpa removed the ?wind wings? because they were ?nickel silver? with brass finials and were thought to be worth keeping.

I remember them as being mounted across a window in my Granparents house. Grandma used the glass as a plant shelf on which to grow African violets. The glass was beveled around the edge with rounded outer corners. One side of each glass had an etched pattern on it. As long as I remember them, they were never silvered like a mirror.

Unfortunately, the glass got broken and the only parts I have left are the pair of rods and brackets that you see here. Anyone who has any information on these parts and / or has any interest in them please let me know.

Thanks,

post-51355-143137928877_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

It is sad that this Willys Knight, like countless others, went to the scrapyard during the W W II scrapdrives...

I have heard countless tales like your Grandfather's before...

The brackets and glass are called "Windwings" and are mounted on the windshield.

Nickel-Silver or "German Silver" was used on many cars...Everyone thinks there is Real Silver in this alloy...Really there is 0% silver content. Mostly Nickel,Copper,Tin,Zinc.

Rolls~Royce Mascots & Radiator Caps in the teens-late 20s were made of this same "German Silver" alloy and thus were always the target of thieves who Liberated them thinking they were Real Solid Silver. In fact all the brightwork on my Silverghost is "German Silver" including the entire Radiator...Unusual metal alloy today...BUT...not really valuable...

Nickel, and then chrome plateing soon took over as this "German Silver" Nickel Silver is a real mess to keep polished...I know this firsthand.

I still think they might be of some use to a car restorer...BUT...are really not very valuable without the great origional glass.

Condition is everything here....