Part number Please

jonlabree

As I recall, there should be two serpentine "poly-v" belts on the vehicle. One would be for the supercharger and the other one would be for the "other stuff"--EACH with a tensioner for the respective belt.

When I looked in RockAuto.com, they list THREE tensioners (in AC-Delco). One is the "accessory drive" belt (probably a/c) as #38152 (88920952), "supercharger" is #38268 (89056039), and "alt & ps" #38269 (89056040). The first number is the AC-Delco part number and the second on ( ) is the equivalent GM part number for that part (which might not coincide with the "normal" GM part number for the particular part).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

My info came from 95-99 Riviera parts book pages. For a 95 supercharged Riv, it only lists a single unique part # for a belt tensioner, 24501383. Could it be the accessories tensioner is the same #? 96-99 are a diff part #. For belts for a SC 95 Riv, one is for SC and AC, the other is for alternator and PS.

A non-SC 95 Riv lists a tensioner # 24504818, for 95-97 actually.

I'm not saying Rock Auto is not correct, just giving parts book info for reference.

Thanks for the information, 98Riv, as that is what I recall from those earlier times. Much has changed in the world of GM Parts since the 1995+ vehicles (and the books you have) were around. I suspect you have some of the last paper parts book printed as GM went to electronic media completely, later on.

After I thought about it, after the post I made, I concluded that one of the tensioners was probably for the normal V-6, as the normal V-6 and s/c V-6 main tensioners were different (along with the belts for each one).

As for the ACDelco numbers, the "short number" is what we normally see on the ACDelco side of things (as has been the case for decades). The "long number" (in parenthesis) also looks like a part number generated from the ACDelco side of things too, but it could also be the most current GM Part Number in some cases. The numbers from the GM book you have could well supercede into the ACDelco long numbers (as many of the prior ACDelco long numbers, even on the part boxes, now coincide with the part numbers in the GM parts database).

On shocks and struts, for example, the two part numbers on the box have coincided with the ACDelco short number and the GM long number. Used to be that if you bought an ACDelco suspension damper via the ACDelco distribution network, it would be different (typically) from what you bought at the dealership (whose parts distribution network would be GM Service Parts Operations), but as GM has consolidated many of their parts distribution centers with some of the ACDelco distribution centers, the part numbers for each entity have seemed to similarly be consolidated.

I'm not sure which long number might be correct, the "2" series number you noted or the ones which I noted. In any event, if you use the "2" series numbers you noted, those are the ones which a GM parts person would probably feel most comfortable with (as they look more correct, or at least used to). They can use those numbers to enter into the database and see if the number is still correct or has been superceded into something different.

When I did the parts lookup in RockAuto, I only looked for the model year listed and did not check for other model year applications. In the ACDelco website lookup, there is a provision to pull up a list of all vehicles a particular part number ACDelco part might fit. I like to use the RockAuto website for research and information as the format is quicker to use than some others I've found. I'm not sure about different part numbers for the later years of SC Rivs, though, as it's been a few years since I've looked up parts for one.

Take care,

NTX5467