2007 ROA Annual Meet

Ray_Knott

Hello ROA Members,

I am happy to announce that details of our 2007 Annual Meet have been posted on our web site. www.rivowners.org A special link has been established that will take you to information on the hotel and attractions in Asheville NC, well renown for the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and America's larger house, the Biltmore Estate. A Schedule of Events that begin on Monday and run through our awards banquet on Thursday has also been posted.

If interested in attending, and we hope you are, you will also find an application that can be completed on line, printed out and mailed into our office. You have to contact the newly remodeled Ramada Plaza hotel yourself to reserve your room. Be sure to tell them you are with ROA to get our special rate of only $69 double or single per night.

We're looking forward to seeing all of our old friends and the many new members as well. If you have any questions about the meet don't hesitate to contact me.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the pictures, Jayson. Almost like being there. (NOT!)

I sure wish we could have gone this year. My dad and I missed seeing everyone. I knew last year that it was not going to be possible, and told several of you at that time. Other family activities and work commitments made it impossible.

I have already started mapping a route up to Illinois for 2008. 18 hours of driving if we take all Interstate highways (according to Google maps) and 24 hours if we take all US highways and avoid the Interstates (which is what we did going to/from Flagstaff last year). That's my preferred option.

For those of you planning on going to Galena next year, don't forget to pack your ball glove, a couple of balls, and a bat. Galena is only about 40 miles from Dyersville, IA and the "Field of Dreams" baseball field. If you look on their website, it says that "you're welcome to play." Sounds like fun to me, even at 60. That's what it's all about "Dreams" What could be more cool?

Thanks for the information Ed, that does sound like fun even though I'm not any good at it!

I am already planning my convoy from NC, are you going to be able to make it next year? Hope to see you there.

Randall

Major plans so far are to attend. It's only a 6-7 hour drive from the KC area and Linda and I enjoy making the journey as big a part of the vacation as the destination. There is a group of small towns in SE Iowa called the Amana Colonies and the residents there still make struddle and beer the way they do in "the old country." There are some reall quaint B&B's there and it's a great place to roam and stroll in the evening or in the morning. The "scenic" route from Des Moines to Galena takes us right through there. If I work it right, I'd leave early Sunday, spend the afternoon/evening and the next morning in the Amana Colonies and then head for Galena sometime after lunch.

I've got a torn rotator cup and I'm 30 pounds overweight, but I'm not going to let any of that hold me back from a good game of catch or perhaps playing an old fashioned game of work-up. I'll be taking my golf clubs as well as I understand there are a couple of really nice courses around Galena. Hopefully Ray will give us an idea of what he has planned so that we can work around them and/or not step on his toes with some of our own plans.

Dyersville, IA is also the home of one of the country's largest die-cast model car companies. That would make a great tour for a bunch of auto enthusiats.

Sorry I couldn't make it to Asheville; both Linda and I wanted to experience the Great Smoky Mountains and Biltmore. I had to take time off work early in March to nurse some strained muscles in my back and go through some physical therapy for some degenerative disks in my lower back. Too much time in the driver's seat.

We'll be looking forward to seeing you in Galena. Make sure that you drive your "older Riv." I think that's one thing I've heard from a lot of guys who attended Asheville this year - not very good representation of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation cars ('63 - '73.) There was conjecture that perhaps the price of gas had something to do with that. Any ideas????? If I were to drive something newer than a '64, I'd have to go out and buy it before next June.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jimmyriv

I'm certainly going to try to be there next year. When I went to Lake Geneva, I was the only seafoam green Riv(65) there. I now have a fresh repaint. Years of enjoying driving that classic takes it's toll.........

• 1 month later...

Hey, Ray! How about a new "sticky topic" at the top here with info for everyone about the 2008 ROA Meet in Galena? Getting the details out early helps get more people planning to go.

Will the host hotel accept reservations for the meet yet?