95 Riviera exhaust

JohnD1956

I was thinking of modifying my 95's exhaust to try and attain some of that throaty exhaust sound. Has anyone done this and been satisfied with the results? Can you give some details on what you did?

Thanks

JD

JohnD, there can be some restrictions in getting a better exhaust system under the car (I have not looked under the Rivs specifically, but I have looked under the similar Auroras in that area). IF the Rivs are like the Auroras, the limiting factor would be the max diameter of the pipe that can go though "the tunnel" in the rear suspension structure. As I recall from looking under the Aurora, you could probably get one pipe of about 2.5-2.75" diameter through there without hitting anything, but you might need to wrap it in ThermoTec cloth to keep any extra heat from getting to "the tunnel" area with the pipe being as close as it would be to it.

In looking at the Aurora's exhaust, it starts out pretty decently-sized but necks down one notch at each pipe/converter joint. I think it starts out at about 2.5" up there? It's highly possible that the Riv's does similar.

I kind of doubt that anybody's building anything specifically for that chassis, with respect to made-up exhaust cat-back systems. But you could look at the RegalGS.org website for some hints on what they do with those cars and then use that as a guide to get a willing muffler shop to build you something to go from the cat to the split for the mufflers. From the split, you might be able to adapt something from the Northstar Cadillacs or Auroras for the mufflers and related pipe attachments.

I don't believe you will be removing so much restriction that it would affect the EGR system too greatly. As with a turbo system and a less-restrictive exhaust, it can help the supercharger work easier and build boost a little quicker, possibly. You might also be able to use the headers which fit the Regal GS models, but that would be a big expense for parts/labor. I suspect that if the Regal GS and Grand Prix GTP owners are not having too many issues with their hot rods (with respect to EGR functioning with the headers and related exhaust system improvements), then you might not either.

With these things, I'm not sure you'd get a real "throaty" exhaust sound with the V-6, though, but it would be "different" and could help performance and fuel economy too. But then, many times we tend to forget that we're talking about a 231 cid engine rather than a 400+ cid engine . . . be that as it may.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Rivman, I can't seem to get registered on that forum. I chose a screen name and password but never got the activation e mail, and tonight the system would not let me log on and tells me someone already has the name I chose?

What gives?

JD

Good points Willis. Maybe I'd be better off getting some other work done and not worrying about the exhaust. Mine is still solid, so I don't really need the modifications, but the car could use some paint.

JD