Southeastern centre grill lite.

Guest PackardV8

Guest imported_PackardV8

During the late 60's and early 70's it was common to see cars and lite trucks thru out Kentucky and Tn. with a small ad on running lite at or very near the centre of the grill. Does anyone else remeber this lite??? And just exactly what was it for anyway???? I never remeber actualy seeing one lit up.

It was not just a Southeaatern thing. This was also done in other parts of the country. From what I was told, it was a saftey thing. With the light on front people would be able to see you comming. About the time these started showing up some of the auto manufactures started having headlights turn on when the engine was running, and many auto makers continue this today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During the late 60's and early 70's it was common to see cars and lite trucks thru out Kentucky and Tn. with a small ad on running lite at or very near the centre of the grill. Does anyone else remeber this lite??? And just exactly what was it for anyway???? I never remeber actualy seeing one lit up. </div></div>

A little known fact is that Studebaker, in 1961-62, offered those little lights for the center of the grille (actually, they were the same basic marker light you could buy at the auto supply stores, but with a clear lens), pushed as a safety thing--it was about the time that Greyhound Bus Lines started their "Lights on for safety".

Art Anderson