The PHOENIX rising

• 3 weeks later...

1-27-2007 Underbelly

I wish I had done this while the chassis was upside down.

I designed the diamond plate sides to have a 46" gap that would be filled with a FRP layer supported by aluminum crossmembers.

Before I was able to install the crossmembers I had to solve a slight clearance problem with the arm that connects to the linear actuator and I had to figure out a way to mount the actuator itself 90° from its current mounting position.

I started looking around my shop for some material to make a swivel bracket from when I spotted the shackles from the old trailer springs. They were the perfect shape but one needed to be smaller than the other so I made a trip to the local trailer supply and found two new spring shackles and a spring bolt to create my contraption. The only hole I had to drill was the one that bolts the actuator to the swivel.

340096_945_full.jpg

The material I'm using as crossbracing for the underbelly is 1" x 2" x 1/8" aluminum angle. I used it on the flat at the back so that the actuating arm could clear the brace. I was able to trim away enough of the actuator arm to clear the brace.

340096_949_full.jpg

The FRP is sanwiched in-between the diampnd plate and the bracing. The FRP is connected to the cross bracing with stainless fateners and washers. I hope I never have to take it apart again but I want to be able to if I need to.

340096_947_full.jpg

Aluminum crossbracing attaches to the diamond plate on both sides.

340096_946_full.jpg

This is what the finished underbelly will look like. All of the raw aluminum and Frp edges are trated with the same edging used elsewhere.

340096_948_full.jpg