59 Studebaker pickup

That looks like a really nice, unmolested Stude pickup. In 1951, my great-grandfather bought a new 2R series - he drove it for about 5 years before he got too old to drive. My Uncle Joe rescued it from the field where it had been sitting for over 5 years in 1962. It had VERY low miles on it, about 350000. He re-sprayed it in the original dark blue, and added an exhaust stack that came up behind the cab like an eighteen wheeler. The truck didn't have a dent on it, nor any rust. It was tight as a drum, no rattles.

Unfortunately, he sold the truck to make money on it. I will never forget how it looked sitting there with new shiny paint, chrome exhaust stack, chrome easy eyes on the headlights, wide whites and full chrome wheel covers.

To this day, Studes remain my favorite vintage pickup. Hold on to that one. Is it a Scotsman pickup?

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is indeed a 59 Scotsman, 4E-112.

The story:

It's lived in the same county since the day ot was bought new, where it still is today. It was bought new by a Mr. Ryles who was a Farmall tractor mechanic. He used the truck in his business, going out into the fiends repairing tractors.

Then one day on 1974, he blew a radiator hose and ran it hot. He had the truck towed back to his barn where he preceeded to remove the engine and rebuild it. Once he finished, he laid the engine in the bed of the truck and put the truck in his barn.

It sat in that same spot until 1994, when my uncle Mitchel bought it. He reinstalled the engine (169 C.I. flat head 6) and painted it Omaha Orange from it's original color of Maui Blue.

He drove it for a while, until he decided to build a house. He traded it to my uncle James for some building materials. A few years later, James decided to get married so he sold the truck to my grandad.

This past April, I won a 51 Studebaker dump truck in a raffle. My grandad wanted the dump truck, so I traded him even. Now, I have a nice, solid, original Studebaker pickup; and I love it.

So, other than 1 repaint and an engine rebuild, it's all original and it's never been apart. It has 50,670 or so original miles.

Matthew Burnette; the 16 year old Stude nu.