Driver sentenced in Duesenberg Accident *DELETED*

Guest imported_CarFreak

the judge said that this was an accident and that a crime did not occur because it could of happened to anyone in the courtroom including himself. He also added that he thought the man who was driving the Volvo seemed remorseful and that he believed he didn't see the other car when he pulled out so no jail time was needed. If you ask me, I thought the article seemed a little biased towards one party and chose to leave out important facts relating to the case which vilified one party while glorifying the other. Either way, the story is tragic.

Weren't we all told in driver's ed not to proceed if you can't tell if the coast is clear?

A few extra seconds spent making sure no one was coming would have made all the difference, as opposed to a quick glance into the glare.

The idea of this guy not serving some time in a case of multiple deaths is incomprehensible to me.

Just another case of no one being responsible for anything anymore.

That's not to say that the motorist was a bad person. Just not careful enough.

Having to live with the fact that you killed 3 people is punishment enough. That alone will change someone more than any amount of jail time you would like to throw at him. I am sure if it happend to you or someone you know you would be singing a different story, but until then, your opinion will never change.

*I bet Dick Cheney had a different view on gay marriage until he found out his daughter was gay. It just seems that Conservative Republican are always preaching an eye for an eye until something bad happens to them and they are faced with the same consequences that they preach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*I bet Dick Cheney had a different view on gay marriage until he found out his daughter was gay. It just seems that Conservative Republican are always preaching an eye for an eye until something bad happens to them and they are faced with the same consequences that they preach. </div></div>

You assume an awful lot, there, pilgrim.

Now that you mention it, weren't we also told not to drink and drive? I am sick of people turning a blind eye because of someones position or status in life. Jesus, talking about another case of no one being responsible for anything anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> another case of no one being responsible for anything anymore. </div></div>

Your analogy between Cheney and this Volvo-driving character doesn't float. The Duesenberg driver did not sneak up on the Volvo driver from behind, and the man Cheney shot certainly new that guns were being fired. And Cheney was not up for involuntary manslauter because no one was killed.

Your missing the point. I never mentioned the hunting accident or how stupid DICK Cheney is for shooting another man, but thank you for providing me with another analogy. What I am saying is that Cheney would of never supported gay marriage until it directly effected him personally like in the case of his daughter. When I used the quote "another case of no one being responsible for anything anymore" it was in reference to an argument from another person who claimed that the driver of the Volvo is not taking responsibility for his actions. There are several issues being thrown around here, so try not to get lost. In addition, your argument is flawed and really doesn't respond to anything that I said.

• 2 months later...

...seems to me the Volvo would HAVE TO be traveling faster than "1-10 MPH" in order to cause a 3-ton Duesenburg to roll over.

Sounds like the Volvo driver is in denial of his true actions that day.

But he was the only adult witness left to tell the court what happenned, without anyone else to challenge his "opinion".

This post caught my eye. First, we should all, somehow, retrofit our old cars with seat belts. No excuses. Doesn't cost points in a judged show and if it does, too bad - you still need them. To Randy's point, how in the world does a 2001 Volvo, turning at a very slow speed, cause 3 deaths in a monster of a car like a Duesenberg?? Perhaps the driver of the Duesy swerved and placed the car at an unsafe angle and it rolled, therefore expelling it's unfortunate occupants.

To the 2nd point, I don't see where jail time works in this case. Guy wasn't drunk. He apparently came to a full stop. There was a difficult view with the sun. He could have waited a few seconds longer, OK, but the glaring sun would have still been there.

I am a law and order guy that chaffs at easy sentences and the blame-it-on-condition-of-the-week club, but man - IF the police report was correct - and I have no reason to believe it wasn't - then this guy's ultimate sentence will be the memory of 3 deaths in his rearview mirror....