FRANKLIN photos

Guest roadtrip

• 2 months later...

Here is my '31 Victoria that I have been messing with: 228 photos.CLICK ON LINK BELOW.
 Click on each one and on the 'i' in a circle at top to get comments on each photo. 
Have just started back working on this. Bought a 53 Hudson Hornet that I have been messing with for 2 years--good to be back on the Franklin.

Not sure which link might work?
https://goo.gl/photos/wzbSaLsr5VuFEU2NA
>>> https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101895503406236284856/album/AF1QipN7hOGGA1i7tu7_dylgGpqyGy22qZmZ5nvfmFSa?authKey

Below is engine startup after 2 idle years>

Richard D

Greensboro, NC

Edited by Franklin31
link wouldn't work (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my very first vintage car - a 1926 Franklin 11A Sedan that I bought at Hershey 2016. This picture is taken at Hershey - I don't have the car yet - it's somewhere between Hershey, and Caledonia, Michigan on a Reliable Carriers truck.

It came to Hershey from Canada where it had spent some (unknown number of) years.

I've joined the Franklin Car Club already.

I live about 33 miles from the Gilmore Car Museum where the Franklin Collection lives, so I'm looking forward to taking my car to see its siblings down there.

IMG_8117.JPG

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Congratulations.  I don't own a Franklin but I know the club by reputation is very supportive.  Looks like you bought a finished car which is always the cheapest in the long run.

There are a few wee things to work on with it - it has an electric fuel pump on it - it comes with the original vacuum tank so I'll work on getting that working again, and there are some things to tidy up under the seats - particularly the front passenger seat where the battery hangs below - things are missing from there.

But overall it's ready for me to have some fun with and not spend a whole lot of money and time fixing.

Roger

Hello Congrats on your purchase! You will find the Franklin club members will help you in any way they can including myself. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If not it most likely has the original babbited connecting rods instead of insert bearings. I would take down the oil pan and clean out the sludge and make sure everything is ok in the bottom end. If you are not capable there are some club members in your area that would probably help you do it.You could also take it to a shop that specializes in older cars.  This is very important .Make sure the brakes are ok. I am pretty sure only the rear axle has brakes also make sure the emergency brake works.This car has a non synchronized transmission which means you have to double clutch to shift gears. Not to difficult but you have to get used to it. If not you will grind gears every time.  At the Gilmore you will meet Phil Weisenbarger who is involved with the air cooled gathering. It is usually Fathers day weekend. He is a great guy and has helped me out Looks like a decent car. Good luck with it. Hope to see you in Cazenovia NY for the annual Trek next August. It is a lot of fun. Franklins and only Franklins for the whole week .

3 hours ago, 29 franklin said:

Hello Congrats on your purchase! You will find the Franklin club members will help you in any way they can including myself.

Thanks - yes, I have already received a lot of friendly contact here and on Facebook

Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If not it most likely has the original babbited connecting rods instead of insert bearings. I would take down the oil pan and clean out the sludge and make sure everything is ok in the bottom end. If you are not capable there are some club members in your area that would probably help you do it.

It came with a wad of receipts from 2007 that showed that it had about $6,000 spent on the engine, including

6 new pistons with rings - $900

6 con-rods re-babbited - $900

12 new valves with valve spring and valve guides - $825

Machine 6 cylinders - $1,800!!

Timing Chain - $135

Gasket Set - $140

Rebuilt Carb - $299

plus other odds and ends. So hopefully it's in pretty good condition still.

In 2008 it had 2 new tires fitted to the front and they still show the wee "titties" on the tread area so seem to have had little use since then.

Also amongst the wad of papers I got is a note saying "Storage World" $5,270 - now there's a Storage World in the same town/city in Ontario where the engine work was done, so it seems like the car was stored for however long $5,000 covered - quite some time I'm guessing.

I certainly intend to check things out - will drain the oil etc and see how it seems.

You could also take it to a shop that specializes in older cars.  This is very important .Make sure the brakes are ok. I am pretty sure only the rear axle has brakes also make sure the emergency brake works.

Yep - rear brakes only.

This car has a non synchronized transmission which means you have to double clutch to shift gears. Not to difficult but you have to get used to it. If not you will grind gears every time.

The very first car I ever drove when I was 7 or 8 was a 1926 Rugby (that's what Durant Star cars were called in British Commonwealth countries - I grew up in New Zealand) so double clutching was one of the first things I learned :-)

At the Gilmore you will meet Phil Weisenbarger who is involved with the air cooled gathering. It is usually Fathers day weekend. He is a great guy and has helped me out Looks like a decent car. Good luck with it.

Thanks. Yes I certainly intend to take the car to the Gilmore every chance I get for the Air Cooled Gathering and other events they put on.

Hope to see you in Cazenovia NY for the annual Trek next August. It is a lot of fun. Franklins and only Franklins for the whole week .

I expect that will happen some time, but not next year - we're having a family reunion for my wife's family in Oshkosh, Wisconsin at that same time at the  time of the EAA - Experimental Aircraft Association - that's a fantastic event too!!!

But I'm sure some year we'll make it to Cazenovia for Franklin Trek

Cheers

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest myold88

Here's my '29 Victoria Brougham shortly after I pulled it out of a garage on Long Island in 1974. This was my first restoration project. I sold it a few years later before the fenders were painted. I've had a soft spot for Franklins ever since. Anyone know where this great Franklin is now?   

VIN # 35- 192554 L21.

scan0003.jpg

scan0001.jpg

1929 Franklin  2.jpg

1 hour ago, myold88 said:

Here's my '29 Victoria Brougham shortly after I pulled it out of a garage on Long Island in 1974. This was my first restoration project. I sold it a few years later before the fenders were painted. I've had a soft spot for Franklins ever since. Anyone know where this great Franklin is now?   

VIN # 35- 192554 L21.

scan0003.jpg

scan0001.jpg

1929 Franklin  2.jpg

I have a friend that will run the VIN # for me and search New York current registration's . Maybe its still in NY and on the road.

Guest myold88
4 hours ago, theKiwi said:

According to the Franklin Register the last known owner was a K Carson in New York state. They are not a member of the Franklin Club now.

Roger

K. Carson is me. I restored the car. I asked the HH Franklin Club several years ago if the current owner was known, and they said I was still listed as the owner. I guess things move slowly at the HH Franklin Club.    mikewest: I appreciate you looking into this for me. Thanks- Just curious and I do have some original photos and items I could forward to the owner.

2 hours ago, myold88 said:

K. Carson is me. I restored the car. I asked the HH Franklin Club several years ago if the current owner was known, and they said I was still listed as the owner. I guess things move slowly at the HH Franklin Club.    mikewest: I appreciate you looking into this for me. Thanks- Just curious and I do have some original photos and items I could forward to the owner.

So that means that whoever brought the car and whoever is the current owner (they may or may not be the same person) have not been/are not members of the Franklin Club.

Roger

Guest myold88
1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

So that means that whoever brought the car and whoever is the current owner (they may or may not be the same person) have not been/are not members of the Franklin Club.

Roger

Correct. The car was never listed again in 40+ years with the Franklin Club. I lived on Long Island when I sold it and never kept the buyers name. Thanks for your help. I have always wondered what became of my first restoration. 

21 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Roger

Incorrect!

The car can be listed in the register whether its owner is a member of The H.H. Franklin Club or not and we encourage anyone who even KNOWS about a Franklin to contact the Club (via its website) to update the register.  We need to know the chassis number or the engine number as a minimum. Personal information is not listed for owners who are not club members. That said, we would like to see all owners join the club.

• Like 2