Dorris car & truck ; St Louis car

I would like some information about the Dorris car :<BR> 1. When and where were they produced .<BR> 2. How many were produced<BR> 3. Do any still exist<BR> 4. Wasn't there a truck produced by the same company<BR> 5. Any other information you can share<BR> 6. Was there a car called "St Louis" produced about the same time ?<BR>Thank you for your time.

Guest BruceW

Jim,<BR>There was a car called the St. Louis. I have a good picture of one of the few remaining St.Louis cars that was taken at last years Great Race. If I can find the pic, I will post it.

Dorris (us) 1905-1926<BR>(1) St. Louis Motor Carriage Co., St. Louis, MO 1905-1906<BR>(2) Dorris Motor Car Co., St. Louis, MO 1906-1926<BR>Cars built by George P. Dorris between 1877 and 1905 were known as St. Louis automobiles; thereafter the Dorris name was used. The cars were of advanced design. The earlier 4-cylinder Dorris model gave place to sixes in 1916 and Dorris engines were used throughout production. Later cars were prestige vehicles with prices approaching $7000 for closed models. The Pasadena phaeton with ohv engine was available until the end of 1926, although production actually closed in late 1923.<BR>

Guest BruceW

Jim,<P>Found it!<BR>I will email the pic of the St. Louis to you.<BR>I would post it here..as beleive in sharing with the DF.. but I am not adept at posting pics here.<BR>

• 10 years later...
Guest duncan.dorris

This is a very old thread, but wanted to post this in case anyone else is intersted:

Welcome to Dorris Motors - Dorris Motors

Please let us know if you come across any of the old Dorris or St. Louis Motor Carriage stuff. We (the Dorris family) are interested in knowing about your projects and would love to help you out in any way we can.

-Duncan Dorris

Duncan,

Welcome to the Forum; your website's looking good, particularly the Blueprints page.

Hopefully the Dorris fans will come out of the woodwork but, for now,

here's the Dorris listing from the 1924 Handbook of Automobiles,

published by the National Automobile Chamber of Commerce, NY, NY.

24_dorris_6_80.jpg

Larger

The well-equipped and pricey 1924 Pasadena 6-80 appears

to be the model shown in a couple of your blueprints.

How cool to have a family connection to early auto history!

TG

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim,<P>Found it!<BR>I will email the pic of the St. Louis to you.<BR>I would post it here..as beleive in sharing with the DF.. but I am not adept at posting pics here.<BR>

Pretty simple actually. If you have an image file on your computer you want to share here all you have to do is go to the Gallery and follow the simple procedures for uploading into the Gallery. The if you want to put the same image into a post all you have to do is copy the URL location and then you are ready to put it into a post by clicking on the Icon that looks a bit like a yellow envelope above where you type your message. All you will need to do then is paste the URL into the window that pops up.

Guest duncan.dorris

Thanks TG - I didn't have that one yet. My brothers, dad, cousin, and uncle have been collecting that sort of thing for a while now. I appreciate it!

-Duncan

Guest noncompos

On the off chance you don't alredy have it, there's a nice little Dorris Truck thumbnail in Albert Mroz's Illus Encylpdia of Am'cn Trks & Comm'l Cars, incl mentions of buses, limos and unidentified fire trucks built on Dorris chassis, with a nice small pic of a 1914 Platform Stake unit.

I understand Georganos World Trucks book has basically the same as Mroz for US trucks, but you might check it also, if you haven't already (Georgano's big book, not the little one with just names and adds's).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest duncan.dorris

Sorry for the extremely long delay in answering this post. That would have almost certainly been a door sill plate on a St. Louis. I'm thinking it would have been on an older (<1910) one since it doesn't have any curve to it, but can't be sure. It's a neat piece! I'd love to know where you came across it.

• 5 months later...

It would be pre 1905 - later than that would say St. Louis Motor Carriage Co. Peoria, IL. Also, they're actually pretty flexible and can be flattened out easily.

Wow, this was an oldie!

I had thought it was an early sill plate but was not sure it was that early. It is a thick casting and is not flexible in the least. I picked it up around 20-30 years ago from a dealer and fellow collector from Yonlers NY. At the time it was fairly expensive but by today's standards it was a good deal.

By flexible, I mean when you beat on it with the rubber mallet, it will conform to the curvature of the door sill! They were cast flat, and all these cars were hand made, so no two are exactly alike. I'll try to post some pics, but each car is a little different...