old dash cluster

Guest GP Gleason

Guest GP Gleason

Here's another old dash cluster. What's it from??? Nice looking and all gauges work. 15 gal hydrostatic gas, 20-0-20 ammeter, 50 psi oil & SW speedometer. Measures bezel OD about 7 3/4 X 4 7/8. Hate to throw this away for nothing. I'm convinced it is no later that maybe 1931...... probably more like mid-to-late 1920s.

olddash.jpg

gpg@cableone.net

Guest GP Gleason

They are filled with a red fluid (who's technical name escapes me at the moment) that indicates,using vacuum & pressure from from either the gas tank unit or the same in the crankcase. Less gas in the tank exerts less pressure on the sending unit which allows the red fluid to drop on the indicator. Pretty reliable in it's time, but complicated to maintain properly.

Greg

Definitely pre-1929, Studebaker used oval clusters in 1925-27 but they had more gauges than your piece, good Heavens don't consider throwing it away, that is a nice piece someone will want. Stude8

Guest GP Gleason

I think you and I have discussed mid-1920 Studebaker dashes in the past. All the Studes I've seen in those years are oval shaped. The '26 Stude Big & Special 6 (base models) actually have 4 holes and look similar to this one. This cluster, although being oval shaped has little "points" near each corner on the bezel, thus not really "oval". I have no intention of tossing it. We spent way too much time cleaning it up & checking everything out. It will eventually make it to eBay, but only advertised as what it really is. Please keep your eyes open for this thing! I have placed another query to solicit dash photos from other AACA members. Maybe something will turn up before I die! Thanks for your help.

Greg